Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kenai

FPS seriously low. Can't figure out why.

46 posts in this topic

kenai yeah joker is right i did the same thing did it my own way and notice a pretty good rise of my fps them settings there that i have in screen

shot format is designed for performance.

but if it works on vista i got no idea i hope someone will take the time that uses vista both on 32bit and 64bit will make such a post for maximum fps to help other vista users both new and old players for this game it will help out a lot i feel

thats my 2 cents

So an old card will do? I actualy have an old "Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value" sitting in a spare PC. I'll pull that out tonight and give it a shot. I never realized how bad the sound could kill the performance. This should only take a few min to fix once I get home from work.

Audigy 2 isn't bad. It supports 64 hardware sounds. I keep telling people it's the best deal in the sound card market. You can get an old audigy 2 on ebay for $25 and you can't get a new hardware accelerated sound card from new parts stores for under $60.

Well several hours later, here's what I have done:

Installed the Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value

Created a new partition

Installed XP

Setup a dual boot system that allows me to chose whether to boot into XP or Vista

And the results:

Well after installing the soundcard, my FPS was STILL only in the 40s offline. So I setup all my drivers on the XP partition, booted into XP, and ran the game in offline mode there. Using the same exact hardware and all the current drivers, my FPS in offline mode in XP was 170! WTF!

The ONLY difference was the OS. Vista = 40 or so FPS and XP = 170 or so FPS. Not really sure why, but I guess that solves that problem for now.

Thanks everyone for all the help! You've all been extremely patient and helpful. Not really sure why Vista would run so badly, but for now it looks like I'll be booting into XP to play :)

ok i told this to a bud and forgot to mention this as well my card is a ati x800 and what i have my card settings its self set to is performance after when i did this my fps grew some more but i also have a bottom of the food chain system.

when i told this to a buddy he said his fps improved i told him to check his fps before applying my settings here for the game and see if it improves some more he is running vista 32 bit home premium what type of vid card he has invidia card i will find out what that is here in a while

You know, if the fps is that wide between xp and vista, usually its a chipset issue as in a lack of the latest drivers for said chipset.

When switching to vista one must make 100% certain that all drivers for vista have been updated to the latest and greatest, if you do not, this game can tank in a heartbeat or you get quirky can't get the mouse to move even thou i don't have it in compatibility mode problems.

Make sure everything is updated and i do mean everything, before fiddling with the innards of your computer.

You know, if the fps is that wide between xp and vista, usually its a chipset issue as in a lack of the latest drivers for said chipset.

When switching to vista one must make 100% certain that all drivers for vista have been updated to the latest and greatest, if you do not, this game can tank in a heartbeat or you get quirky can't get the mouse to move even thou i don't have it in compatibility mode problems.

Make sure everything is updated and i do mean everything, before fiddling with the innards of your computer.

I didn't upgrade to Vista (in a sense that I did not install a new OS over an old one.) This is a new computer (less than a month old) that came preinstalled with Vista. The first thing I did was update every driver and install every patch I could find. I couldn't locate and chipset drivers (from the PC manufacturer or from the MB manufacturer) so I'm not sure what I can do about that.

Maybe it is an issue with the chipset, but I would hope that a PC that's new out of the box should be able to handle this with little to no problems. Like I said earlier, Crysis is a MAJOR resource hog and it runs at high / very high with no problems at all. Yet I couldn't get this to run at the lowest possible setting.

Yet I couldn't get this to run at the lowest possible setting.

Hence why i think its a chipset problem.

download sisoft sandra that should help you get what kinda chipset it is.

then pull down the drivers for it.

Might want to make sure your CPU speed is correct in the BIOS. New machines with first boot always underclock the CPU for safety reasons. Go thru the BIOS and check that all is correct. Some BIOS have shipped with AGP being selected as the video bus. I did not see the DXDiagnostic Text posted. Dont run at 800/600 no vidcard is optimized for that Rez. run at least 1024x768x32.

i get about 15-23 fps avg which is good for me settings turned low. im runnning 2 gigs ram Nvidea 6200

When are you going to post your dxdiagnostic..and hav eyou looked in the BIOS at your AMD cpu settings..AMD first boots is always under clocked. If no one changed it..it is running a almost half speed.

When are you going to post your dxdiagnostic..and hav eyou looked in the BIOS at your AMD cpu settings..AMD first boots is always under clocked. If no one changed it..it is running a almost half speed.

I've checked all of that. I can post the Dxdiag when I get home if you really want. But I think you're forgetting that it runs FLAWLESSLY under windows XP. In Heavy HEAVY battles in the middle of town I'm dropping to the 50s now for FPS. In the middle of nowhere it's well above 200. Offline it goes even higher. If there were a problem with the BIOS or CPU (both of which i have checked several times) then why does this only happen in Vista? I'm not saying that it ran find in XP then I upgraded to Vista on a new PC and it won't work. I'm saying that on the same exact PC when I boot into Vista it sucks and when I boot into XP it's unbelievable. I specifically setup a dual boot system for this very purpose.

As far as the chipset, I downloaded sisoft sandra as asked and it gave me the same info I already had (as far as chipset, manufacturer, BIOS, MB, etc.) I again looked on the web but was unable to find any updated drivers.

So' date=' what is the problem? Vista is dead, even MS is making a new OS.[/quote']

There is no problem now that I boot into XP. If you read through the thread, you'll see that after having the problem and troubleshooting it, I was able to get the game to work quite nicely by running it through XP. After I said that it solved the issue, you posted asking about the BIOS and CPU settings. I was simply responding to your questions / requests.

So' date=' what is the problem? Vista is dead, even MS is making a new OS.[/quote']is it windows X or windows 7 or something?

i also use everest it tells me way to much about my pc but it is cool as hell

No such thing as way too much ;) At least you know all the details!

No such thing as way too much ;) At least you know all the details!
to true sir i feel thats a good thing LOL

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0