Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bloo

Joystick issues fixed for version 1.29!

42 posts in this topic

My joystick does not work in game, but it works in other games and in the Game Controllers windows control panel! What's wrong?

We have had a long-standing issue with an odd assortment of devices preventing the joystick from being detected in game. It generally involved a USB keyboard, of different makes, and a joystick, of different makes. One keyboard that showed up more commonly than others was the Logitech G15, but not always. We were unable to reproduce the problem with this keyboard. A few reported the problem with a combination of that keyboard and the Logitech G5 mouse. We tried that combination on a couple of systems as well with no problems. But finally, we were recently able to reproduce this problem with that combination and an assortment of joysticks. Reproducing a bug is the first step in fixing it.

Lead client programmer Martini was able to implement a fix, which testing through several permutations confirmed as successful!

But there is a downside. We cannot ship this fix until 1.29. We won't be patching 1.28 any more as there are too many fundamental changes, not all of which are complete, and it would add significant delay to 1.29 to backtrack.

We owe a huge debt to Sgtspoon who was understood this issue for a long time and worked to help others work around it. And much of what I describe below is basically a reworking of his previous posts on the topic. Once we were able to reproduce the issue locally, his research sped up the process of identifying the relevent code and fixing it. Thank you, Sgtspoon!

What was the problem?

HIDs. Human Interface Devices. And how they work with USBs, and the game handles them.

A HID can be a keyboard or a mouse, but it can also be the different things those devices can do, like the media player, mail, volume, etc., buttons on a fancy keyboard or mouse. Or even the macros on a joystick.

There were two issues. One was how many of these were being detected. The other is "ghost HIDs", which was typically the case for the Logitech G15 keyboard.

What to do in the meantime?

Swap out your USB Keyboard or Mouse with a PS/2 (round plug) device.

Some trial and error testing is necessary to determine if it is the keyboard alone, the mouse and keyboard alone, or the combination of the two that creates the problem.

Try plugging in your USB Keyboard or Mouse after the game has loaded.

Some users have found that if they start the game with a PS/2 keyboard, then swap in the USB keyboard after the game has loaded, they are able to use all their devices.

Manual HID Disabling (aka, "the Hardway")

I'm just going to quote Sgtspoon directly here;

Go into the system app in control panel and then under the hardware tab, click on the "device manager" button. Expand the tree of "human interface devices" section. The offending hid driver is going to be one of these...

It will either be generically named [meaning it doesn't have a brand name, model name, or linked to a specific type of device [such as mouse, joystick, etc.] or one specifically for your keyboard [either keyboard, or logitech g15 hid device, ect]. It will not be one named for a mouse or joystick or other type of controller.

Disable the first hid that fits the above criteria and then fire up ww2ol and check and see if you have full usage of your keyboard and also ww2ol will now detect your joystick in the ww2ol keymapper.

If it does and you don't lose any needed functionility of your keyboard [or one's that you don't mind not having] then just leave that hid disabled and you are good to go. You can just leave it disabled if you don't lose any functionality of the keyboard that you care about or just disable that hid when you want to play ww2ol. In about 95% of people finding this offending hid, they lose absolutely no functionality of their keyboards at all and can just leave it disabled.

If that wasn't the offending HID, then exit ww2ol and go back into device manager

and re-enable that hid. then disable then next hid device and then fire up ww2ol and see if your joystick is now detected in ww2ol.

Rinse and repeat until you find the offending hid and disable it. Remember it's not going to be one tied to a joystick or mouse. It can be a generically named one or one named specifically for your keyboard.

When will 1.29 come out?

It's in OPEN BETA!!!

Edited by BLOO

my joystick is working and this is not my problem.

but on a related note bloo, for some reason wwiionline has stopped recognizing the pinkie trigger on my x-52 wich works fine in every other game. and in calibration, rthis didnt start tikll 3 weeks ago. null that one over and get back to me.

I have been throught all the HIDs and disabled/enabled them reloaded the game each time to check and i am still not able to get the joystick to work.

I has told ,just now, in the game that Vista must have SP1. is tis correct ? i have SP3

I have been throught all the HIDs and disabled/enabled them reloaded the game each time to check and i am still not able to get the joystick to work.

I has told ,just now, in the game that Vista must have SP1. is tis correct ? i have SP3

How can you have SP3 with Vista? SP3 for XP was released a few months ago, Vista is only up to SP1 so far. Seems like you're mixing them together. :)

How can you have SP3 with Vista? SP3 for XP was released a few months ago, Vista is only up to SP1 so far. Seems like you're mixing them together. :)

LOL, you know you just may well be right, this comp has XP. and i just ran an update 2-3 days ago..

then , back to the orriginal question. i went thru all HIDs still have no joystick. thought this was a '' FIX '' ?

I am still watching this thread to see if there is anyone that has the knowledge to correct/fix this crap . some confusion may be because i am going through 2 computers in the search for information. the one that works has XP w/ SP3.

the computer that has the issue with the joystick not working is :

DELL model XPS-630-I gaming computer

Vista Home w/ SP1

dual 9800 gtx video cards

the joystick:

Cyborg 3D Gold by Saitek

reconized and calibrates in computer and not in game

I have gone thru every HID as outlined by bloo, twice, with no success.

I just read this entire thread for the 4th time and need a clarification, please.

is the keyboard a possible link to the joystick problem or are there seperate keyboard issues ? tthere for the mention of the keybpard in this thread .

Hi everyone

I have been having problems with my joystick also. I have a Saitek X-45 and CH Product pedals.

I was told Windows has it's own "order" in which they assign a proprity to the "USB" devices depending on there relation with Microsoft.

In my case CH PRoduct have a higher priority then Saitek but, if I don't use the pedals for a certain period of time, I have to unplug then, wait a few seconds, then replug them so the computer can see them "again" even if he did see them before.

I have to do this EVERY TIME I log into WWIIOL. I have to do this BEFORE as if I do it ingame, it's appear to be too late and I have to reload the game.

I recommend you unplug all USB devices, plug them in one by one, THEN load the game.

You will also notice that ingame you might see "joystick 1 " or "joystick 2" in the keymaper.

Hope it help :)

thanks Vonrosa, i ran this thru but still no luck, swaped out joystick. nothing.

seems the China conection is put about our own. find it very hard to swallow that they say they have a fix comming in 1.29 but won't release it seperate of 1.29. make me wonder if the fix is really ready. is it that hard to seperate that ? i have seen many small '' fixes '' in this game.

as a year one player , and i might add 2 accounts from year one, it would seem that we would have earned something other than the B1 patch. i just throw this in as a bonos. FWIT !

tried conecting keyboard, mouse, JS all after the game loaded. the joysticks are not reconized in the game.

i also downloaded the drivers

I have a Logitech 3D Pro USB jstick and everything, except the throttle, works. All works in windows. Can this be the same issue?

[edit]

...aftar a lot of searching i found the solution, needed to configure the main key and not secondary. Feels like the idiot i am.

I have a Logitech 3D Pro USB jstick and everything, except the throttle, works. All works in windows. Can this be the same issue?

[edit]

...aftar a lot of searching i found the solution, needed to configure the main key and not secondary. Feels like the idiot i am.

i have 3D gold also, does not work on new computer with Windows Vista 32 bit.

more details on your solution please < computer dummy here

open the control panel from the start menu, switch to classic view, click on the system icon, on the left is a menu select "Device Manager". Look for Human Interface Devices in the list and click it.

A list of devices will appear.

ENE CIR HID Receiver

ENE CIR Receiver

leave those alone

starting here : DISABLE EACH DEVICE LISTED (right click select from drop menu)

HID-compliant consumer control devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

Dont disable anything else

Restart game with the joystick already plugged in and it should now work.

Make sure you have system restore turned on and have a restore point before making any changes to your system. So you can fix any problems you might create by screwing around with stuff your not familiar with.

open the control panel from the start menu, switch to classic view, click on the system icon, on the left is a menu select "Device Manager". Look for Human Interface Devices in the list and click it.

ENE CIR HID Receiver

ENE CIR Receiver

leave those alone

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

Make sure you have system restore turned on and have a restore point before making any changes to your system. So you can fix any problems you might create by screwing around with stuff your not familiar with.

i have done this 3 times. each HID was disabled seperately, then started the game.

I did this with the JS pulgged in before and after loading the game, no change

Are you saying to disable all at once ?

you can also email me mayorwuz@hotmail.com all is appreciated

ENE CIR HID Receiver

ENE CIR Receiver

leave those alone

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

HID-compliant devise

I have also done this a few times, with no change. I am using a G15 keyboard, and X-52 JS. Please e-mail me at gandof_1999@yahoo.com if you have any other ideas.

Now is the time to test the fix for this issue in the 1.29 Open Beta!

Please download the Open Beta, and try your fancy keyboard and joysticks offline. It is fixed in our internal testing but we need everyone who has experienced this issue to try it.

Thanks!

i have g15, and g5 mouse and 3d extreme pro joy. Everytime i log on to game i disconnect the g15 usb directly after i click launch. When i reach loggin screen i reconnect the keboard and then everything works.

i have had a new gaming computer now for nearly 3 months and still have found no way to get any joystick working because of the Vista crap. hope it has a fix by the time my subscription comes up in Dec. ( both accounts ) they are 7 year accounts without any break in them, they are in danger because of this.

my joysick was working fine until 1.29, not anymore.

Im on a USB, keyboard and mouse, I thought this post was addressing an issue with the patch, didnt realise it was long standing and we still need to hack the system a bit,

In short, there are is 1 hid that I can disable, there are 2 hids that if disabled kill the joystick (as far as the os is concerned).

Vista, SP1

Edit :

Logitech 3d pro joystick

my joysick was working fine until 1.29, not anymore.

Im on a USB, keyboard and mouse, I thought this post was addressing an issue with the patch, didnt realise it was long standing and we still need to hack the system a bit,

In short, there are is 1 hid that I can disable, there are 2 hids that if disabled kill the joystick (as far as the os is concerned).

Vista, SP1

Logitech 3d pro joystick

If it stopped working with 1.29 then it should have a different cause.

What else to you have plugged in to your PC?

Too cut a long story short, its going, I had only one hid to disable, but, being a numpty kept checking the throttle thinking bugger doesnt work. Then I noticed after 20 minutes that the aircraft joystick was moving, went into keymapper as per suggestion and fine.

Anyway, Im off for a beer Ill toast you for your help mate and CRS for a good game ( in order to counter the bad things I was thinking about em at the time, been a long day, scarily I was putting a SAN together earlier today).

S! Rebel357,

Most HID problems are gone with 1.29, but my problem is a doosie.

G15 keyboard, G6 mouse, CH Products USB Fighterstick and Throttle. Running WinXP.

Right clicking on mouse as inf to aim is the same as hitting ctrl+alt+del, dumps me out to desktop with Windows Task Manager as the active window. I have tried everything, even switching out mouse, and have the same problem.

Others do too, this is not a unique situation, but it has made the game absolutely unplayable.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0