Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bylzebub

I think my computer is F0cked. . .

15 posts in this topic

I was running around with a sapper yesterday when my computer hard froze visually but i still had audio. The game i believe froze, then my monitor went to a black screen and said "no signal detected" the computer was still on however.

I hard shutdown the computer (held down power button) waited a couple seconds then started the computer up again. It booted to BIOS but there were vertical lines in my monitor now.

It made it to a BIOS screen saying the computer had not been shut down correctly and should be started in "safe mode" however i couldn't use my keyboard to select "safe mode" no response from keyboard.

It would boot windows normally after 30 seconds anyway, and started too, I got the windows logo screen but right after that my monitor flashes again and then goes right into "no signal detected message on the monitor.

I'm thinking my video card just crapped out on me or got overheated somehow. which is too bad cuz its a decent card, an EVGA 7600GT.

What does anyone with some computer know-how think about these signs?

What should my game plan to fix be?

Check the video card fan for dust. Clean it if you find any. Try that first before replacing the video card and see if that works.

already did, got a big old "can-o-air" and blew the sheyat out of it. Im leaning on the side that says it overheated and is now toast. The sticker on/around the fan/headsink fell off, i'm guessing as a sign of too much heat, or maybe just old?

side note: I had cooling problems before but I installed a big old case fan and that stopped bios of tripping my temp alarms so I thought i was good. . .

. The sticker on/around the fan/headsink fell off' date=' i'm guessing as a sign of too much heat, or maybe just old?[/quote']

oh snap. yah that card got really really hot if it melted the protective layer.

your supposed to take that off when you get it you know. it just protects it from getting scratches while being assembled.

4 gigs

your set.

but you should seriously think about adding more cooling to your computer.

80mm fans are cheap and fit almost anywhere. 120mm fans are a little bit more quiet and move the same amount of air.

I use two 110v 3A 123mm all steel industrial fans that push 115cfm each.

keeps my 8800GTS in the low 90's to 110's

your set.

but you should seriously think about adding more cooling to your computer.

80mm fans are cheap and fit almost anywhere. 120mm fans are a little bit more quiet and move the same amount of air.

I use two 110v 3A 123mm all steel industrial fans that push 115cfm each.

keeps my 8800GTS in the low 90's to 110's

yeah i'm definitely getting serious about cooling this time. I'll be getting a new case and putting at least a couple 120mm fans in there. Also picking up a new corsair PSU that is supposed to be the shlt and does well with cooling.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0