Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alpnkorp

ati HD4870 + vista 32/64 - constant crashing

24 posts in this topic

getting constant crashes from ww2online without sse mode

its confirmed that this seems to be a bug bigger than just me, as another axis player by the name of "krhkmies" is having crashes every 5-30mins too, he has a ati4870 and vista 64..

ill post debug appcrashes when it comes up next..

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: WW2_x86.exe

Application Version: 1.28.7.255

Application Timestamp: 4863d468

Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.7769

Fault Module Timestamp: 486d907f

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 005e9425

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: e4bc

Additional Information 2: 18286a6351bfff839759d0b47aa70581

Additional Information 3: d9ab

Additional Information 4: 9dcf5f500f7d9a605d46802f49e11aa1

Read our privacy statement:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Yeah actually I got most of crashes away by taking all my overclockings off from cpu.

Today only 2 crashes in 2hours. Also I had different kind of error message.

Could you put you're ww2 online error message also here? For some reason cant find my errormessage anymore but it should be in ww2online folder somewhere. You using any overclocks?

At the last crash found this error message:

File version: 1, 28, 7, 255

Date and time: 7/28/2008 22:29:47

WWIIOL aborted via improper means

This crash was different though. Went straight to desktop with no errors. Usually it gives "ww2online has shutdown becouse of error" or something like that.

You using 8.7 drivers right?

Yeah actually I got most of crashes away by taking all my overclockings off from cpu.

Today only 2 crashes in 2hours. Also I had different kind of error message.

Could you put you're ww2 online error message also here? For some reason cant find my errormessage anymore but it should be in ww2online folder somewhere. You using any overclocks?

At the last crash found this error message:

Date and time: 7/28/2008 22:29:47

WWIIOL aborted via improper means

This crash was different though. Went straight to desktop with no errors. Usually it gives "ww2online has shutdown becouse of error" or something like that.

You using 8.7 drivers right?

Overclocking can lead to permanant phyical damage to the CPU. even though it still runs it still may have a damaged/melted L2 cache.

just cause it's not hot on the outside of the cpu doesnt mean its not orange hot on the inside.

Overclocking can lead to permanant phyical damage to the CPU. even though it still runs it still may have a damaged/melted L2 cache.

just cause it's not hot on the outside of the cpu doesnt mean its not orange hot on the inside.

Absolutelly. Thats why I test cpu with different programs like prime/orthos to make sure they work. And they do. Melting L2 cache with intel processor is very uncommon. With amd it can happen though but Im using c2d.

Absolutelly. Thats why I test cpu with different programs like prime/orthos to make sure they work. And they do. Melting L2 cache with intel processor is very uncommon. With amd it can happen though but Im using c2d.

lol

if you say so.

lol

if you say so.

You do know that even if you remove whole cooling off from intel processor it will only shutdown computer or slow it down? With amd its poof and smoke. Its toast :)

Intel has had that cover for well over 10 years I think.

Anyways Ive OC:d for 10 years now and 0 cpus destroyed. But seems like you know something I dont? If you do please stop laughing and share it with me.

A lot of overclocking noobs like to tell you you'll burn your cpu up. I've been overclocking for nearly 10 years myself and have burned out or damaged "0" cpu's. Every computer I've ever built, I've overclocked. I've even told people what to build on these forums and then explained how to overclock with flawless results, no damaged cpu's yet.

What happens is if you run them too high they become unstable and then you back off the speed until it is stable. Watch your temps, but in todays machines with auto overheat shutdowns you don't even really have to do that if you set up your shutdown temps accordingly.

If you're too scared to try it then don't, but don't try to talk everyone else out of it with some tall old wives tales about burning up your cache.

If you burn up a cpu it was because either your fan failed, your heatsink mount failed/was incorrectly installed, or you ran way too much voltage through it. All of those issues can be easily avoided. None of those problems guarantee a burn out either, that's just the most likely way it can happen. 99.9% of computers will shut down before you can burn anything up overclocking.

This is actually the first problem I've ever heard of being solved by reducing the overclock on the cpu. That almost never happens. He must have been stretched to the limit of stability where it would run fine for a while but then crash. I might have tried just adding a little voltage to the cpu myself. That can do wonders for a setting that is right at the edge of stability but not overheating yet.

You do know that even if you remove whole cooling off from intel processor it will only shutdown computer or slow it down? With amd its poof and smoke. Its toast :)

Intel has had that cover for well over 10 years I think.

Anyways Ive OC:d for 10 years now and 0 cpus destroyed. But seems like you know something I dont? If you do please stop laughing and share it with me.

those are old pentium 4's and Athlon XP cpu's socket 462. all processors have thermal protection now.

Yes, but it's typically unlikely. Generally speaking, when computer hardware is pushed beyond its limits, it will lock up, crash or show other obvious errors long before it gets to the point where the processor or memory might be permanently damaged. The exception to this is if extreme voltages are used when attempting to overclock,

and

The most obvious reason to overclock a computer system is to squeeze some additional performance out of it at little or no cost. Overclocking the processor and system memory can significantly boost game performance, benchmark scores and even simple desktop tasks. Since almost every modern processor and memory module is overclockable to at least a slight degree, there are few reasons not to attempt it.

This is actually the first problem I've ever heard of being solved by reducing the overclock on the cpu. That almost never happens. He must have been stretched to the limit of stability where it would run fine for a while but then crash. I might have tried just adding a little voltage to the cpu myself. That can do wonders for a setting that is right at the edge of stability but not overheating yet.

Actually I got errors on cpu stresstest after I intalled this ati gpu. It affects heating up cpu or by affecting power supply I guess. But got rid of those errors by lowering clocks for 100mhz on my c2d 8400. So getting oc off didnt actually fix the problem. But this game is sensitive for cpu errors that I can tell :)

Anyways squadmate reported 4870 + xp 32 bit worked fine as he played 1hour yesterday. This could be vista+ati problem or on alpnkorp and my computer something wrong I dunno. Ill test more tonight.

Anyone having HD 4870 on vista and no problems?

I am having the exact same problem actually. I found that I can fix it doing this (ANNOYING).

Q6600

ATI HD4870

2x2gb DDR2 1066

1.) boot into game and set settings to low

2.) reload into game set settings to high. Play to crash.

3.) boot back in and put them low, and reboot.

4.) should be good. I think....

i have a 4870 but use xp. ive had 0 crashes.

Yeah this works fine with xp. Problem occurs only with vista machines. Hope next ati patch fixes it becouse if its in game I doubt well see fix soon.

Thank god I didn't change my gfx card to HD4870 when I bought this new comp. 8800GT runs it quite sweet, especially with 8GB of RAM. :)

running vista 64bit with a 4870 card and although I haven't played any longer sessions the game hasn't crashed on me yet.

What PSUs do you guys have? It sounds like it might be affecting the stability of your power supply. Anything that will jog your cpu even a little will cause a CTHL/CTD in this game.

Seasonic 550W' date=' S12-550W Energy PLUS[/quote']

That's got 41A on the 12V rails combined, it should technically be plenty.

Have you both tried a complete driver uninstall using the catalyst driver uninstall and then booting in safe mode and using driver cleaner pro to remove all ATI software and then a reinstall of 8.7 catalyst drivers?

I switched from 8800 gts to this. On that point I uninstalled nvidia drivers and used driver cleaner pro. (Not in safe mode though). Insalled 8.7 drivers.

Uninstalled 8.7 drivers and installed 8.7 drivers only. No ati ccc etc. That didnt matter either.

I guess I could try that in safe mode + driver cleaner tomorrow. Dont think its going to help though.

Windows says same error as alpnkorp does but here is what ww2online errorlog shows:

E:\Battleground Europe\WW2_sse2.exe

Program compile time: Jun 26 2008 12:02:32

Date and time: 7/31/2008 21:11:22

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Exception: continuable

Exception address: 0x6903e1b2

Exception tried to: read at address 0x04629004

Exception Registers:

DS: 0x0000002b, ES: 0x0000002b, FS: 0x00000053, GS: 0x0000002b

EBP: 0x0017f550, ESP: 0x0017f2d8, SS: 0x0000002b, EIP: 0x6903e1b2

ESI: 0x04629004, EDI: 0x00000000

EAX: 0x068891f0, EBX: 0x06861570, ECX: 0x00000000, EDX: 0x00018000

gnasche, You didnt even read those errorlogs or what we wrote about the problem? Problem started as we changed our gpu. Errorlog shows that problem is in opengl drivers. No reason to think problem would have been anywhere else then there. Anyway fix is here:

Fix found atleast for 64-bit vista. Problem was in ati opengl drivers/game. As other opengl games worked fine with atis newest drivers I guess problem is with game somehow.

Anyway crash got fixed by installing DNA ati drivers 8.7.B

These drivers include both 32-bit and 64-bit:

http://www.donotargue.com/page.php?id=7

While you install these you need to extract package first. Then run DNA.bat.

If you havent uninstalled previous drivers you can do that by hitting 1.

After reboot press DNA.bat again and 3 = Install driver with the Catalyst 7.11 OpenGL file.

Those previous opengl files seem to work. Played 3h yesterday and no crash!

Oh and dont try DNA:s newest driver package 8.7 as ww2o wont even boot with those. The only one that works is 8.7.B

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0