Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drill

Time for a new Video Card

14 posts in this topic

I have always used nvida cards, I want a killer card that runs on this game with proven drivers

open for suggestions

thanks

drill

card I have now is a 7900 GT/GTO I get about 40-50 on ground and really 75 - 100+

been using some beta drivers with this card and afraid to upgrade because everytime i try to upgrade drivers they just don't work as good or will not run game at all.

os is XP pro

if you must go nvidia, go for the 9800 GTX.However, the 4850 performs better at the same/lower price.and the 4870 performs excellent for just a bit more.

Don't change card if u have that good fps with it. You will get just slight increase with new card in this 7 year old game. Price and few fps are on ati side.

Card options:

tier 1 174-199$ : 9800gtx nvidia - hd4850 ati

tier 2 269-329$ : gtx260 nvidia - hd4870 ati

tier 3 369-499$ : gtx280 nvidia - 9800gx2 nvidia - hd4870 x2 ati

if u want good site to compare them http://www.guru3d.com/

As good upgrade solution get intel E8500 3,16Ghz processor, the price dropped making it best buy.

hassel

Don't change card if u have that good fps with it. You will get just slight increase with new card in this 7 year old game. Price and few fps are on ati side.

Card options:

tier 1 174-199$ : 9800gtx nvidia - hd4850 ati

tier 2 269-329$ : gtx260 nvidia - hd4870 ati

tier 3 369-499$ : gtx280 nvidia - 9800gx2 nvidia - hd4870 x2 ati

if u want good site to compare them http://www.guru3d.com/

As good upgrade solution get intel E8500 3,16Ghz processor, the price dropped making it best buy.

hassel

The 9800Gx2 is not a good card for WWIIOL because the game only uses 1 of its Gpu's

You will get just slight increase with new card in this 7 year old game.

Not true. The game is 7 years old, the graphics aren't; they're only as old as the patch in which they were added.

Because the game is CPU bound, if your CPU is limiting your FPS then a new video card may not a big impact, but if your CPU is not acting as a bottleneck on your performance in this game, then getting a better video card is the *only* way to get better FPS.

I've seen HUGE fps gains going from a 7900GT to an 8800GT with the same CPU.

dont get a ati 4870 if you want to play this game... it crashes all the time on me + another player

Did you completely uninstall your previous drivers using driver cleaner pro in safe mode then reinstall the latest 8.7 catalyst drivers off the ATI website?

Not true. The game is 7 years old, the graphics aren't; they're only as old as the patch in which they were added.

Because the game is CPU bound, if your CPU is limiting your FPS then a new video card may not a big impact, but if your CPU is not acting as a bottleneck on your performance in this game, then getting a better video card is the *only* way to get better FPS.

I've seen HUGE fps gains going from a 7900GT to an 8800GT with the same CPU.

Are the drivers stable for the 8800 GT

--------------------------------------

I found an old beta driver on driver guru that I am using that does not equal any of the new drivers out and since this is really the only game I play I am sticking to it. The only artifacts I get is the cornflakes, and that my be a heating issue on my end. I know most everyone gets cornflakes and rebooting helps but i notice it the most when I have been playing along time.

but other than that been real happy with the card.

sorry should of added my processor

amd atholon 64 x2 dual core processor 4600, over clocked 10%, computer was built last Oct 07. Time to start researching to see if HD cards and wide screen HD monitors are any good for this game.

3.0 gb of ram

thx,

drill

PS I would dl more ram(grin) but the os xp i have, only sees 3 gigs of ram.

Are the drivers stable for the 8800 GT

Yes.

But I wasn't necessarily recommending that you buy an 8800GT. Frankly, the 8800GT is getting pretty old these days. The video card I would recommend to you depends on how much money you would be willing to spend.

The only artifacts I get is the cornflakes, and that my be a heating issue on my end. I know most everyone gets cornflakes and rebooting helps but i notice it the most when I have been playing along time.

Those aren't artifacts and not heat-related either. Just a bug in the game that may be associated with a memory leak. It's CRS's responsibility, not yours.

HD cards and wide screen HD monitors are any good for this game.

Well no such thing as "HD" really when it comes to gaming on PCs (despite some companies throwing that term around). HD is just a way to describe monitor resolution, and PC monitors have had resolutions that exceed current television HD for years. If your monitor can display a resolution of 1280x720 or higher, then it's "HD".

PS I would dl more ram(grin) but the os xp i have, only sees 3 gigs of ram.

XP 32bit can see up to 4gb of RAM, but only reports 3.25gb or so.

You don't have any reason to get additional RAM anyway since you wouldn't experience any performance improvement; WWIIOL is not using that much ram.

dont get a ati 4870 if you want to play this game... it crashes all the time on me + another player

Talk to gunz he has one and it works fine. That's a vista problem.

FPS per dollar, excluding older games like ww2ol that don't do well with dual video cards, the best buy is dual ati 4850's. Two 4850's is capable of outperforming the GTX 280 and if you shop around you can get them for $160 or so a piece. Two of them is significantly under what you can get a GTX 280 for. That's why in the July video card buyers guide in tomshardware their top recommendation was dual 4850's.

I have the 4850 and I used the driver the came on my asus CD. All was well till I decided to upgrade to the 8.7 Drivers. I kept Ctding every 20 minutes or so. Restored back to my original driver and all is well again.

I have the 4850 and I used the driver the came on my asus CD. All was well till I decided to upgrade to the 8.7 Drivers. I kept Ctding every 20 minutes or so. Restored back to my original driver and all is well again.

Thanks for the heads up. Good to hear before trying it myself. I have a 4850 as well and I've been waiting for new drivers thinking they will probably be able to get even more speed out of the card.

Usually over the course of a cards lifespan they squeeze at least another 10% performance out of driver optimizations. It can be much more than that if there was an error holding a particular application back.

I'll probably stick with what I have then as well, which is the drivers off of the cd. They do seem to work fine. The only little bump I have is sometimes when I first fire off my computer the Asus smartdoctor program doesn't open correctly. All I do it close it and reopen it and it's fine. I was thinking that would probably disappear in an upcoming new driver or an update to the program.

i run this game flawlessly on a 4870.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0