Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bylzebub

ati 4850

22 posts in this topic

well got the card in and installed and have been very happy with it for the most part. . . that is except with this game. . .

In the air (where i spend 90% of my time) i'm getting consistent 100+ fps and unfortunately over hot AOs that falls all the way down to 20, but i can live with that.

On the ground however the jump in FPS wasn't quite what i thought it would be. I've seen it as high as 50 with not much going on, but if there is a heavy fight on i'm 20 fps and lower. . . wtf.

I hope this is mainly a driver issue and was wondering what people are using or if there is no hope for me and this is the best i get.

Specs:

Dual Core 6500 @2.13ghz

4 gigs ram

xfire sound card

and a mothafukkin 4850

also i used to have an Nvidea card and there was some things like "threaded optimization" that you had to turn off to recieve the FPS goodies. Was digging around In CCC and didn't see much as far as needing to be tweaked.

Anyone have a guide to tweaking CCC to help out the game?

Quad Core Q6600

4Ghz Ram

Vista 64 bit sp1

Ati 4850

Card settings low

Game setting high

Fps flying to target = 100-150

Fps over target = 30-60

Playing ground in town is about 25-50

Your processor is bottlenecking the video card since it's only running at 2.15ghz. My machine at near 3ghz with about the same processor will bottleneck an ati 4850 in ww2ol and any gaming benchmark. You pretty much need an e8500 to get the most out of that card. The card is capable of more than 20fps with the settings cranked over a large battle. Your processor only running 2.15ghz is not. Panda is doing slightly better because his processor runs at 2.4ghz. At 3ghz I can hold 40fps with 2x AA enabled in battles.

Solution: reduce you in game settings so there's less to process or overclock your processor.

Turn off all vertical sync, Turn off no frame run ahead, put it on medium player limit, and change the minimap to the compass. Go through the CCC settings and make sure they're all on application preference and that catylist AI is disabled.

BTW I've never heard of an e6500? Where did you get it? Did you mean e6550?

Your processor is bottlenecking the video card since it's only running at 2.15ghz. My machine at near 3ghz with about the same processor will bottleneck an ati 4850 in ww2ol and any gaming benchmark. You pretty much need an e8500 to get the most out of that card. The card is capable of more than 20fps with the settings cranked over a large battle. Your processor only running 2.15ghz is not. Panda is doing slightly better because his processor runs at 2.4ghz. At 3ghz I can hold 40fps with 2x AA enabled in battles.

Solution: reduce you in game settings so there's less to process or overclock your processor.

Turn off all vertical sync, Turn off no frame run ahead, put it on medium player limit, and change the minimap to the compass. Go through the CCC settings and make sure they're all on application preference and that catylist AI is disabled.

BTW I've never heard of an e6500? Where did you get it? Did you mean e6550?

perfect, this is exactly the explanation i needed and it makes perfect sense. BTW its a 6400, sorry for the mistype. I'll follow all you're advice and take it from there and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong my flying FPS is f-ing sweet, its just that i was hoping for an equal jump in ground pounding fps and was very very disapointed with what i saw.

I'll report back tomorrow with those changes. Thanks for your help lazyboy and panda.

Those e6400's were great overclockers. They were sold clocked so far under what they were capable of it was crazy. Many people have ran them stable at 3.2ghz. You should be able to get 2.6-2.8 out of it without endangering or overheating anything, even on a stock cooler. That will give you a huge boost in performance, 25%-30% or more.

You may have to reduce your ram speed at first and then raise the cpu fsb. The ram clock will follow the cpu fsb as you raise it back to it's own rated speed. That's instead of hitting a wall early on in overclocking because your ram won't go far beyond rated speed.

You may have to reduce your ram speed at first and then raise the cpu fsb. The ram clock will follow the cpu fsb as you raise it back to it's own rated speed. That's instead of hitting a wall early on in overclocking because your ram won't go far beyond rated speed.

Not if you have nvidia 780i board (possibly some other) than you can separate fsb speed in unlinked mode and raise only cpu fsb clock and leave memory as it is :cool:

hassel

Those e6400's were great overclockers. They were sold clocked so far under what they were capable of it was crazy. Many people have ran them stable at 3.2ghz. You should be able to get 2.6-2.8 out of it without endangering or overheating anything, even on a stock cooler. That will give you a huge boost in performance, 25%-30% or more.

Running my E6420 @ 3.2ghz, with a scythe ninja cooler ontop. Goes to about 52-55C during WW2OL. Great FPS combined with the 8800GTX, could be better still, but I'm also pushing 128 sounds on the Xfi and max player vis limit.

good to know. I have zero experience when i comes to overclocking which i guess is part of the reason i picked up the 4850 hoping it by itself would help my fps issues. I do have a friend that can help me overclock tho so that will probably be the next step.

Those e6400's were great overclockers. They were sold clocked so far under what they were capable of it was crazy. Many people have ran them stable at 3.2ghz.

I've had my e6400 clocked @ 3ghz ever since 2006. :)

BTW what is "post render filter" as seen in the game settings?

The post render filter is the fog like blurring effect that you see in the distance. I turn it off. Some people like it on. Screenshots of the game definitely look better with it but I like to tweak for maximum performance so when the game is at it's most intense I'm still pulling great FPS. I don't like to drop below 35 or so. The aiming on the guns gets jerky on anything under 30.

Not if you have nvidia 780i board (possibly some other) than you can separate fsb speed in unlinked mode and raise only cpu fsb clock and leave memory as it is :cool:

hassel

That's cool. Unlocking it would be easier and allow more accurate tweaking, but honestly I always run a clock for clock speed ratio on my ram/cpu fsb and any core2duo board is capable of that. I slow my ddr800 down to ddr533(266mhz) before I start overclocking because I have an older 266mhz(1066mhz)fsb core2duo. That's what gives you a 1:1 ratio clock for clock with the cpu anyway. I always run 1:1.

I did my own benchmark comparisons long ago and at the time you could actually score higher in benchmarks when the ram was at a 1:1 clock for clock ratio with the cpu fsb. Whenever they were out of sync you took a performance hit weather the ram was set slower or faster. CPU's like to run in sync with the ram. It's marketing trying to force people to spend more money on faster ram that has all these crazy 1800mhz ram chips out there.

I guess you get a slight performance boost from running the ram faster than the fsb only because operations going on in the ram itself happen slightly faster even though the bus is only capable of whatever the cpu is set to. Which is only 333mhz/400mhz on the upper end intels right now, even though they put an inflated rating of 1333mhz/1600mhz on the box. 333mhz cpu fsb mainclock matches up 1:1 with ddr667. Anything faster than that only give you a marginal performance boost, unless you overclock.

BTW are those people running with 4850s using the latest ATI drivers or the ones that came with the card???

I'm now having a problem with CCC and Gamma. I tried to raise my gamma for night time in CCC but when i alt tab back into WWIIOL the gamma reverts back to normal.

No amount of hitting "apply", "ok" or alt tabbing changed the result. Any suggestions?

BTW are those people running with 4850s using the latest ATI drivers or the ones that came with the card???

I'm using the ones that came with the card still because I heard the latest has problems in ww2ol.

I'm now having a problem with CCC and Gamma. I tried to raise my gamma for night time in CCC but when i alt tab back into WWIIOL the gamma reverts back to normal.

No amount of hitting "apply", "ok" or alt tabbing changed the result. Any suggestions?

In the color adjustment area where you're changing the gamma in CCC you'll see a menu above where the slider is. Right now it says "desktop" you need to change it to "full screen 3d" in order for the gamma change to effect a game. Just hit the little down arrow and change it.

In CCC you get can set your gamma differently on the desktop and in the game.

In the color adjustment area where you're changing the gamma in CCC you'll see a menu above where the slider is. Right now it says "desktop" you need to change it to "full screen 3d" in order for the gamma change to effect a game. Just hit the little down arrow and change it.

In CCC you get can set your gamma differently on the desktop and in the game.

awesome. . .thx

Gamma h4x0r!! :rolleyes:

Use the latest drivers 8.7 for the moment. 8.8s are coming out soon, probably to coincide with the 4870x2 launch.

I'd definitely get to overclocking your cpu as soon as possible. There's nothing quite like free performance. And like layz said I would keep your RAM on a 1:1 ratio. People get performance loss or even on some motherboards decreased stability when they unlock the RAM speed from the CPU speed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0