Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ramrock

should I buy this?

5 posts in this topic

New gaming rig for a squaddie - all from mwave.com

THERMALTAKE SWING VB6000BWS (BLACK) MID TOWER NO POWER SUPPLY W/ SEE THROUGH SIDE WINDOW, FRONT I/O & 120mm CASE FAN x 2, ANTEC SP400 400W $116

ABIT AN8 nVIDIA nFORCE4 CHIPSET SERIAL ATA150 ATX FORM FACTOR 1xPCI-E(X16)/2xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR W/SATA,RAID,LAN(Gb),1394,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:AMD ATHLON 64 - SOCKET 939)=NO CPU= NO EXTRA COOLING FAN= CRUCIAL 1GB DDR400 (512MB x 2) $191

WD 120GB WD1200JD SATA-150 7200RPM 8MB (Retail), 0.5m cable $113

XFX GEFORCE 6800 256MB PCI EXPRESS W/DUAL DVI SLI READY (Retail) (#PVT42PUD) $193

LG 16X GDR-8163BK BLACK DVD ROM (Bare drive)

AUDIO CABLE, 18" UV-BLUE ROUND CABLE $26

Adding a AMD 3200+ Venice, it's ~$900 total w/ assembly, testing, shipping.

Discuss.

PSU>>ANTEC SP400 400W<

depends on your price range.

if that is the limit you want to spend, then that is an excellent system for the price.

you will have a couple of upgrade paths over the next few years......

1. stay with same mobo upgrade to an x2 CPU (easy, cheap)

2. upgrade your video. you can do this a couple of ways.

A. upgrade to teh next gen cards (7800, or whatever the new 8000 will be)

B. go SLI - if this is a possible path, you should pick a differnt MOBO that has dual 16x 2x PCI-E slots now.

so the big thing now is if you are going for option 1, or option 2A, then what you have now is cool. if you are going to go option 2B (what I have now) then you should start with a differnt MOBO now, at an added cost of about 30 to 60 dollars. (better than buying it all for 130 later).

or you can wait a year and start fresh with a new CPU, MOBO, and DDR2 when the new tech comes out. or two years and go with DDR3 and a new mobo and CPU.

Thanks - that's the limit on price (was supposed to be $800 - oh well). I think the vid card quoted is the newer "hot" version (ddr2 ram, 50Mhz hotter ramdac than the original version). I figured that upgrades would eventually be along the lines of a faster cpu (FX57 or X2) and maybe a faster PCIe vid card. I doubt the owner of this PC would ever be interested in a second vid card.

dont forget,by going with a socket 939,you can upgrade your cpu to the fx-57 ( when the price drops). right now the $1024 price tag is too high (or is it $1048?).

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0