Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adhara

What else do or don't I need ... ?

59 posts in this topic

I'm on the verge of ordering this new computer; what do you think, other then I

should build it myself and save some $$.

My conserns are the operating system, motherboard, video card and teh wife going thru the roof when she finds out I'm getting a new computer. :)

Is there anything else I've selected that looks iffy ??

I value all your imput!!

Intel Core 2 Duo DDR3 Configurator (NO MONITOR) I have a Hanns-G 28" HD 1080P already.

*BASE_PRICE: [+689]

CAS: ($25 off Mail-in Rebate) New! Apevia X-Jupiter Full Tower Gaming Server w/ Temp Display and Fan Control 420 Watt Power [+43] (S Type Metallic Gray Color with Side-Panel 250mm UV LED Fan)

CASUPGRADE: NONE

CS_FAN: Default case fans

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8500 CPU @ 3.16GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit [+26]

CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

CD2: SONY 16X DVD-ROM [+28] (BLACK COLOR)

CABLE: None

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

FA_HDD: None

FREEBIE_CU: FREE! Cyberpower Unleash The Power T-Shirt ($19 Value)

FAN: Raidmax Maxcool Intel CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) [+15]

FLOPPY: NONE

FREEBIE_OS: FREE! (Microsoft® Flight Simulator X Deluxe) Game

HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives [+19] (160GB (80GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

HDD2: NONE

IEEE_CARD: NONE

KEYBOARD: PS2 Microsoft® (BLACK) MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD [+6]

MOUSE: Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (BLACK COLOR)

MODEM: NONE

MONITOR: NONE

MONITOR2: NONE

MOTHERBOARD: (QX9650/9770 Support) GigaByte GA-EP45T-DS3R Intel P45 Express CrossFireX Chipset LGA775 FSB1600 DDR3/1600 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio

MEMORY: (Req.DDR3 MainBoard) 2GB (1GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Memory Module OCZ-Gold [+21]

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 [+104] (32-bit Edition)

PRINTER: None

PRINTER_CABLE: None

PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]

PS_VGA: None

POWERSUPPLY: 635 Watts Power Supplies [+69] (($30 off Mail-in Rebate) Sigma Shark SP-635W PSU - SLI Ready)

RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: 600Watts PMPO Subwoofer Stereo Speakers

TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)

TVRC: None

UPS: None

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

USBHD: NONE

VIDEOCAMERA: NONE

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express [+78] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])

VIDEO2: NONE

VIDEO3: NONE

WNC: NONE

_PRICE: (+1122)

_view_: detail

thanks !!

Downgrade CPU to E8400 and upgrade the videocard to an Ati 4850 ?

If you are not shy about overclocking then perhaps an E7200 and OC that if you need to save more $.

Better videocard will gain more fps than 0.16 Ghz for the CPU.

I'm highly suspicious of the 420watt PSU included in that case. Usually best to get them seperately so you can look up the AMPs on the rails and see if it delivers enough juice for the gfx card.

DDR3 sounds nice but unless you have cash out of your wazoo for top notch modules its better (=cheaper) to just get a DDR2 motherboard and DDR2 RAM. Switch over in 3 years when it makes sense, not now.

What direwo said. I don't think he noticed the 600+ watt PSU further down the list. That might be ok. I'd rather have a corsair tx750 if you ever plan on running dual video cards. That's another thing. You have a dual video card slot MB that supports crossfire for ATI teamed up with an nvidia video card. That's fine for a single video card. However, you can only run SLI (dual nvidia cards) with an nvidia chipset MB. I do prefer the intel chipset MB's and for that reason I prefer the ATI cards right now, if just to be able to run the better of the two major brands of MB chipset with a dual card setup.

Just go to newegg instead of cyberpower. Don't get the 32bit version of vista. Either vista 64 or windows xp. With xp you will have more performance in ww2ol and other older games, with vista 64 you'll have the OS that will run all the new effects in games yet to come but it'll cost you at least 25% in fps performance. Vista 32 has a relatively low ram limit and there's really no reason for a gaming machine to have it.

Get the DDR2 version of that same MB. I like the intel P45 chipset, but DDR3 isn't worth buying yet. The latencies and cost are too high. You don't really gain much if anything at all for the additional investment. DDR2 is fully capable of supplying all the bandwidth necessary for todays processors. They don't even tell you what the latency is. It's probably 1333mhz @8,8,8,24. Compare that with ram running 800mhz @4,4,4,12 and the 800 will outperform it with otherwise identical setups. You have twice the latency with not quite twice the clock speed.

Most cpu's run best on a 1:1 clock for clock ratio when comparing the cpu fsb and the ram speed. 1600mhz fsb intel processors that are just beginning to enter the market run clock for clock with ddr800. Anything faster than that is running the ram faster than the cpu fsb. IMO you should get the lowest latency ddr800/1000 you can afford. Anything faster than that gets bottlenecked by the processor fsb anyway. You'll benefit more from low latency.

The money you save with the ram will enable you to get a better video card. The Ati 4850 outperforms the 9800gtx in more tests than it doesn't but they are about equal. I've seen the 4850 going for $169.

I'd take a single 500gig drive over 2 160gig's in raid0, but I like storage and I'm not worried about saving a little load/unload time. Raid0 won't give you a single fps over a single hard drive setup and it's half as reliable.

Ok ... how about this system ???

Core 2 Duo Custom Build Configurator

CAS: ($10 off Mail-in Rebate) New! Sigma Gaming Unicorn Mid-Tower 420W Case w/ Side-panel Window [+11]

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit [+16]

CD2: 16X DVD ROM [+23] (BLACK COLOR)

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

FAN: INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK

HDD: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

KEYBOARD: PS2 Microsoft® (BLACK) MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD [+6]

MOUSE: Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (BLACK COLOR)

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 Intel G31 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard [-6]

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)3GB (3x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Memory [+50] (Mushkin Xtreme w/ Heat Spreader [+90])

OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2 [+165]

PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]

POWERSUPPLY: 635 Watts Power Supplies [+69] (($30 off Mail-in Rebate) Sigma Shark SP-635W PSU - SLI Ready)

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS 24/7 LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 512MB Video Card [+144] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

_PRICE: (+1091)

These are the motherboard choices I could replace the:

Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 Intel G31 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard(Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 Intel G31 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard)[+0]

MSI G31M-F Intel G31 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard()[+6]

(QX9650 Support) Gigabyte EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard()[+34]

MSI P43 Neo3-F P43 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1333 DDR2/800 SATA2 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio()[+33]

MSI P45 Neo-F P45 Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1333 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio()[+43]

MSI P7N SLI-FI 750i SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio()[+54]More ...

Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard()[+41]

EVGA NFORCE 680i SLI CHIPSET 1333FSB DDR2/800 SATA RAID W/ USB2.0, 1GbLAN, & 7.1 AUDIO(EVGA NFORCE 680i SLI CHIPSET 1333FSB DDR2/800 SATA RAID W/ USB2.0, 1GbLAN, & 7.1 AUDIO)[+97]

I would say get the MSI neo-F P45 out of those choices. Don't get a G31 or P43 intel chipset. Stick to the P45 or x38/48. Those chipsets are better overclockers.

As someone suggested a sound card would be an excellent addition. Don't be fooled by the cheaper ones that aren't actually hardware accelerated. The creative xfi series you want either the top end fatality models, the xfi xtreme gamer, or the xfi xtreme music. The rest are software driven. You can still get hardware accelerated sound on the cheap if you ebay an audigy2 pci. They go for about $30 and support up to 64 hardware sounds.

I like a decent aftermarket cpu cooler.

I have never had an ATI card that was worth using.

I have given away three.!

They remind me of MAC ... lots of people talk them up..

But PERFORMANCE is never there.

As always .. IMHO.

( working fine on machines I built three years ago..

eco issues will be delaying any upgrade.)

I have never had an ATI card that was worth using.

I have given away three.!

They remind me of MAC ... lots of people talk them up..

But PERFORMANCE is never there.

As always .. IMHO.

( working fine on machines I built three years ago..

eco issues will be delaying any upgrade.)

You must have bought nothing but POS ATI cards. You have to know what you're shopping for. Their top end cards have been better than the nvidia offering in the same price range more often than not. The 8800 series was actually the first time that nvidia had any significant lead on ATI performance wise. It's gone with the current generation of cards. They're pretty much back to equal.

I've ran nothing but ATI cards since 2000 in my own personal machine and I have ran better then most everyone I play with in game.

If you buy a mid range or low end card it's going to suck no matter if it's nvidia or ATI. I've heard a lot of people complain about ati. Then you ask them what card they got and it's something like a 2400pro or an x1300xt. A real gamer needs an upper end card.

I've had a Rage128pro All-in-wonder 32meg, a Radeon 8500DV 64meg AIW, a radeon 9700pro 128meg, an x800xt AIW 256meg, a radeon x1950pro 512meg, and a new HD4850 512meg. Every card was a great card and not a single one failed on me. Every one of them still runs. I haven't even replaced any of the fans.

The main reason to buy ATI right now is to run an intel chipset MB. The nvidia chipsets for the core2duo aren't as good especially for the price. With nvidia not letting anyone elses MB's support SLI they made the video card decision for me.

Anyway don't be scared of ATI. That's crazy talk. They make great cards. I run an hd 4850. You can't beat it for the money. The 9800gtx+ is equal you have to get a GTX260 to actually outperform it.

the fastest part of your system should be the hard drive, because thats almost always the bottleneck.

the fastest part of your system should be the hard drive' date=' because thats almost always the bottleneck.[/quote']

The hard drive will never bottleneck your fps. As long as you have enough ram games will run entirely within the ram and never even use the hard drive.

All a fast hard drive does is improve load/unload times, installing, and accessing/moving files around the hard drive.

If you have to skimp on your cpu/video card/Ram/or MB to get a fast hard drive don't do it. Any of those components actually effect fps. There's nothing wrong with a fast drive if it's in your budget. The only bottleneck it's fixing though is loading the game faster.

A raid0 array can be pretty cheap. It is more than twice as likely to fail or lose data then a single drive. 10,000 rpm drives are noisy, a lot of money for how much storage you get and fail at a higher rate than the 7,200 rpm versions.

What I can't wait for is when solid state hard drives get cheap. I hate moving parts.

And for the most part, defragging the harddrive regularly probably does more than buying a faster drive and not defrag it on a regular basis.

The hard drive will never bottleneck your fps. As long as you have enough ram games will run entirely within the ram and never even use the hard drive.

All a fast hard drive does is improve load/unload times, installing, and accessing/moving files around the hard drive.

If you have to skimp on your cpu/video card/Ram/or MB to get a fast hard drive don't do it. Any of those components actually effect fps. There's nothing wrong with a fast drive if it's in your budget. The only bottleneck it's fixing though is loading the game faster.

A raid0 array can be pretty cheap. It is more than twice as likely to fail or lose data then a single drive. 10,000 rpm drives are noisy, a lot of money for how much storage you get and fail at a higher rate than the 7,200 rpm versions.

What I can't wait for is when solid state hard drives get cheap. I hate moving parts.

what most people forget is that they have to run upwards of 45 commands before they even start a game, your entire OS and all the running software will benefit from a faster hard drive.

Read and write speed of your hard drive are the most important factor when wanting a fast pc.

if any one of those 45 commands has a delay in accessing data from the hard disk then every other running program will also suffer, including ya games.

As long as you have enough ram it still won't make 1 single fps difference how fast your hard drive is.

Really FPS after the game is loaded and playing is what people care about. A few seconds saved in load/install time is no big deal.

The game may load faster, the computer may feel faster as you click around. Is that worth the cost? I'm not sure. That depends on where in your machine you pull that additional money from.

I'm just saying, when people think of performance they want the most fps they can get. Load/unload install times are not that exciting. Build a rig with 2 raid0 raptor 10,000 rpm drives and power it with an nvidia 8600gt. Build the same rig, take the same amount of money, get a cheap 7,200 rpm single drive and a ati 4850 instead for your video card and watch it double the performance of the first machine. Yeah it loads really fast but once you get there it runs 20fps.

Unrestricted budget: get the fastest hard drive you can or raid0 2 reasonable ones.

Best gaming machine I can get for $1000: Ignore the HD. Get one that has enough capacity for what you want on it and has the latest input standards. WD is my favorite. Save your money for the components that will give you the most fps/per dollar.

First off I want to say thanks for all the input! I've learned a few thing from your

posts and have amended my system. I will have to get 2 more GB of RAM but I'll

wait to see if I actually got what I ordered. Also hoping the power supply will

work until I get another HD 4850 in the next six months. I went ahead and got

a gaming harddrive; i'm hoping it will work better with the system when I run the

game. I don't expect any fps boost but loading and downloading things might be

a bit faster.

Any weak links in the chain??

Intel Core 2 Duo Custom Build Configurator

*BASE_PRICE: [+509]

CAS: ($25 off Mail-in Rebate) New! Apevia X-Jupiter Full Tower Gaming Server w/ Temp Display and Fan Control 420 Watt Power [+71] (S Type Black Color with Side-Panel 250mm UV LED Fan)

CASUPGRADE: NONE

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit [+16]

CD2: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER [+35] (BLACK COLOR)

CABLE: None

FLASHMEDIA: None [-3]

FA_HDD: None

FAN: Raidmax Maxcool Intel CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) [+15]

FLOPPY: NONE [-5]

FREEBIE_OS: None

HDD: Single Hard Drive (160GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-11])

HDD2: Gaming Hard Drive (10,000RPM SATA150) [+156] (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM 16MB Cache WD740ADFD)

IEEE_CARD: NONE

KEYBOARD: NONE [-7]

MOUSE: NONE [-5]

MODEM: NONE

MONITOR: NONE

MONITOR2: NONE

MOTHERBOARD: (QX9650/9770 Support) Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 CrossFire Chipset LGA775 FSB1600 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio [+73]

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (1x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Memory [-20] (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader [+10])

OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2 [+165]

PRINTER: None

PRINTER_CABLE: None

PS_VGA: None

RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

TEMP: NONE (AS SHOWN)

TVRC: None

UPS: None

USBHD: NONE

VIDEOCAMERA: NONE

VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E 16X 512MB Video Card [+144] (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

VIDEO2: NONE

VIDEO3: NONE

WNC: NONE

_PRICE: (+1231)

_view_: detail

You don't have to get more than 2 gigs of ram until you change operating systems. XP games just fine with a 2 gig kit.

The weak points I see are:

No hardware accelerated sound card.

A questionable aftermarket cpu heat sink.

You don't actually know the timings of the memory you're buying XMS2 is sold in latency 4 and 5.

A slightly small and questionable quality PSU for running dual upper end video cards. It's SLI approved but for which cards? Probably not 8800's or other high end power hungry cards.

Here's the specs on the PS:

Sigma Shark SP-635W 635Watts ATX Power Supply - SLI Ready

Specifications More Product Info ...

Maximum Power 635 Watts

Switches ATX Logic on/off Rocker Switch

Cooling System Dual 80mm Fans

Speed: 2100 rpm (±10%)

Dimensioins: 80mm x 80mm x 25mm

Automatic Temperature Control

Noise 16db @ 1200rpm

P.G. Signal 100-500ms

Over Voltage Protection +5v 6.8v Max.

+3.3v 4.5v Max.

+12v 15.6v Max.

Recycle AC to Reset 100 VAC - 240 VAC

Input Voltage 47 ~ 63 Hz

Input Frequency Range 115 VAC / 10A Max.

Input Current 230 VAC / 5.5A Max.

Hold-up Time 16ms

Efficiency up to 80%

or This PS is $40. more:

Ultra 750 Watts Lifetime Series Pro Power Supply Unit

Features / Specifications More Product Info...

Output

AC INPUT 115V/230V 12A/8A 60/50Hz

MAX OUTPUT

CURRENT +5V +3.3V +12V -12V +5VSB

32A 28A 45A 0.6A 2A

750W Max

Combined

Watts 200W 540W 7.2W 10W

730W 20W

750W

Total Output Power:

750W (Full Load, Nominal Input Voltage)

Efficiency:

78% at Typical Load

Input

AC Input Voltage: 115V/230V

AC Input Frequency: 50-60Hz

AC Input Currents:

· 12A (RMS) for 115VAC input

· 8A (RMS) for 230VAC input

The Corsair 750watt is $90 more then this one.

Here's the specs on the Corsair XMS2 RAM:

GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader

Description:

Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader 1024MB [512MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module

Specification:

Memory Type: Dual-Channel DDR2 - 800MHz (PC2 6400) - Kit

Form Factor: 240-pin DIMM

Capacity: 1GB [512MB x 2]

ECC / Non-ECC: Non-ECC

Address Path: Unbufered

Features: With black XMS2 heat spreader

Cas Latensy: 5-5-5-12-2T

Changed CPU Cooler to this one for $30 more: Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX Gaming CPU

Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof 16dBA)

I knew the cheap bastages were going to try to give you latency 5 ram. You can get a 2 gig kit of that for about $40. Hardly anyone looks or knows the difference so they might as well save money and get slower latency.

The questions I would be curious about still remain unanswered by those PSU specs.

1. What cards is it SLI certified for? There isn't only one sli cert. A PSU gets approved to run certain cards. Which cards is that particular one approved to SLI with? 8800's? If so it will manage 2 4850's fine. Honestly it's borderline. ATI recommends a 550watt for a single card.

2. What is the full amp rating of the 12volt rail on that PSU? It couldn't be just 15.6a.

I know I could find out myself with google and the model name/number but I'm lazy. =)

Personally I'd subtract the 10,000 rpm hard drive and add a creative xfi sound card instead. When you're in game playing ww2 and your fast hard drive is doing nothing while you can't hear right and your fps is suffering because of your software sound you'll wish you had a good sound card.

Funny that the corsair tx750 is $90 more than that PSU. I doubt there's a $90 difference in price between the two. It's selling for $120 right now on newegg.

I knew the cheap bastages were going to try to give you latency 5 ram. You can get a 2 gig kit of that for about $40. Hardly anyone looks or knows the difference so they might as well save money and get slower latency.

The questions I would be curious about still remain unanswered by those PSU specs.

1. What cards is it SLI certified for? There isn't only one sli cert. A PSU gets approved to run certain cards. Which cards is that particular one approved to SLI with? 8800's? If so it will manage 2 4850's fine. Honestly it's borderline. ATI recommends a 550watt for a single card.

2. What is the full amp rating of the 12volt rail on that PSU? It couldn't be just 15.6a.

I know I could find out myself with google and the model name/number but I'm lazy. =)

Personally I'd subtract the 10,000 rpm hard drive and add a creative xfi sound card instead. When you're in game playing ww2 and your fast hard drive is doing nothing while you can't hear right and your fps is suffering because of your software sound you'll wish you had a good sound card.

Funny that the corsair tx750 is $90 more than that PSU. I doubt there's a $90 difference in price between the two. It's selling for $120 right now on newegg.

Ya there charging more then double for the RAM .. my only option is to get little or none and change the RAM ... will that void my warantee?

I'll do the leg work on the PS .. the Corsiar 650 watt is on my list atm but I can change it

to one which would work great for two HD 4850 515mb cards!

Here's a link to the specs on a NZXT PP800 Performance Power ATX 2.0 Power PS: http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/index.php option=com_content&task=view&id=8629&Itemid=1

Here's a link to the specs on a Corsair CMPSU-650TX PS: http://corsair.com/products/tx.aspx

Their both about the same cost, $70. more then the Sigma Shark 630 watt I listed.

How's this for a cpu cooler: http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/cpu/eclipse-typhoon.html

I have a old Sound Blaster live sound card... will that fit bill as sound hardware??

thanks !

OK... here's where I am currently!

I've not ordered this yet but here is the custom system I build from ibuypower:

Shipping is $65 (ground) plus $14 fuel fee. It will take about 3days to ship but two

weeks to build.

Intel Core 2 Duo Configurator $1,170.00

$1,170.00

Case ( Gigabyte Poseidon 310 Aluminum Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )

Case Lighting ( None )

Power Supply ( 750 Watt -- [$40 OFF Mail-In Rebate] Thermaltake Toughpower W0117RU Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )

Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )

Processor Cooling ( [$10 OFF Mail-In Rebate] [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )

Motherboard ( [CrossFire] Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB )

Memory ( 1 GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )

Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-Express x16 )

Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )

Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )

2nd Hard Drive ( None )

External Hard Drives [uSB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )

CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony Black )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( Sony Dual Format/Double Layer 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Beige )

Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Floppy Drive ( None )

Monitor ( None )

2nd Monitor ( None )

Keyboard ( None )

Mouse ( None )

USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )

Meter Display ( None )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )

Operation System ( MS Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2 )

Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( None )

Case Round Cable ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower )

Case Round Cable ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound the best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks by its unique designed molecular size and shape )

USB Flash Drive ( None )

MP3 Player ( None )

TV Tuner ( None )

Video Camera ( None )

Headset ( None )

Power Protection ( None )

Printer ( None )

Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

The RAM is gonna be replaced by 2GB of low latency RAM you recommend! I can order

that asap.

The sound card will have to wait.. did I tell you I use earphones!

I did have two different recommendations for PS. The ibuypower tech guys said the

750w thermaltake would be enough for 2 HD 4850 512mb cards but the cyberpowerpc

tech guy told me the 850w for one and the 1000w for two HD 4850's. What do you

think?

thanks!

You only need a 550watt with a 18-20amp 12 volt rail for a single 4850. I run one on a 580watt hiper type R without issues. You don't need an 850watt psu for any single card on the market.

Some 750's are better than others. I would think that a thermaltake toughpower 750 would suffice for dual ati 4850's. Certainly a corsair tx750 would. That's my personal recommendation if you have the choice. You don't need a 1000 watt if you buy a nice 750-850. I know the corsairs are overbuilt and under rated compared to other 750watts on the market. Corsair has their PSU's rated at 50celcius. Almost every other PSU builder rates theirs at 40 celcius.

It doesn't really matter if you play on headphones. You still want good sound. I played on MB sound for a year before I finally picked up a good sound card. You can do that. It's playable. The MB sound must be ran on software in the ww2ol settings. It doesn't sound as good. You have a harder time picking up vehicle locations and distances based on sound. It also robs a little fps because MB sound and other cheap sound cards use the cpu to process the sound.

Why not take that same list over to newegg and save at least $100 plus get to pick out exactly what you want?

If you want good hardware sound on the cheap ebay "audigy2 pci". It's much better than the old soundblaster live! I have one. It sounds horrible in ww2ol IMO. I have a really hard time with vehicle engine noise with that card. I actually got better quality sound out of the MB. The sound blaster live! is a notorious resource hog as well which kinda defeats the purpose of hardware sound.

Layzboy wrote: Why not take that same list over to newegg and save at least $100 plus get to pick out exactly what you want?

If you want good hardware sound on the cheap ebay "audigy2 pci". It's much better than the old soundblaster live! I have one. It sounds horrible in ww2ol IMO. I have a really hard time with vehicle engine noise with that card. I actually got better quality sound out of the MB. The sound blaster live! is a notorious resource hog as well which kinda defeats the purpose of hardware sound.

How do I get newegg to build the system I want???

I couldn't see any custom build service.

I'll look for an "audigy2 pci" card on ebay.. np and thanks for the tip.

You seem to have a good understanding of the interior workings of a pc. Just buy the parts and do it yourself. It's easy. A caveman could do it.. heh.

The only drawback with the audigy2 is it only supports 64 hardware sounds. The max setting in ww2 is 128. Only the creative xfi series supports that. I honestly don't think you'll suffer at all only running in 64 hardware sounds mode.

You seem to have a good understanding of the interior workings of a pc. Just buy the parts and do it yourself. It's easy. A caveman could do it.. heh.

The only drawback with the audigy2 is it only supports 64 hardware sounds. The max setting in ww2 is 128. Only the creative xfi series supports that. I honestly don't think you'll suffer at all only running in 64 hardware sounds mode.

Thanks for the confidence in my computer building (lack of) experience. I've don't a

few things but never built a complete system, parts and upgrades here and there only.

Whats a good RAM to get if I build a system?

Using the Wolfdale E8500 and the Asus P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Motherboard.

Need a recommedation on a good CPU Cooler. Also what's a good tower case to get ??

From what I'm seeing of neweggs prices I'll only save about $100 but I can get a few

upgrades and my own case.

Here is the last system I built but the RAM isn't the greatest!

Intel Core 2 Duo Configurator $1,283.00

$1,283.00

Case ( Gigabyte Poseidon 310 Aluminum Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )

Power Supply ( 750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )

Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )

Processor Cooling ( [$10 OFF Mail-In Rebate] [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake MaxOrb CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )

Motherboard ( [CrossFire] Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB )

Memory ( 2 GB [1 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader )

Video Card ( ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-Express x16 )

Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )

CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )

Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster X-Fi )

Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )

Operation System ( MS Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2 )

Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Sure getting tired of using this 1gb systemax 512mb system.. thank maude I at least

have a good dsl line!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0