• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kattana

Screen just goes black

12 posts in this topic

I'm in the middle of game, and the screen just goes black. I can shut down game and restart it, and sometimes its okay and running again and sometimes it wont even start up. This started today..the intial error said it had something to do with .dll file. I'm running a Nvidia 8500gt 512mb card, or was, you see after trying several work arounds with different drivers, (and a system restore point to yesterday) I gave up on it and assumed it was the card. So I went and bought another 8500GT 1gig vid ram card. Except after a few hours of play, it performed the same feat, with no error message this time mind you. Which tells me it aint the vid card.

You can alt tab down, and there is the desktop pretty as you please. But no game, game sound rather but no vid signal from the game.

If anyone knows anything about this problem let me know.

I've tried running it in win 98 mode to no avail. I've even made adjustments to the settings, ie, run in single display mode for the graphics stuff.

The only thing i can think of is something went corrupt in the game itself. But why would that effect the Direct3d mode of the nvidia drivers, (which it seems to have). Are there any known consistent problems with Vista and BGE?

The only thing i can see that windows has done is updated with a service pack since this started.

Anyway any clues from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

system specs:

AMD athalon 64x2 dual core processor 4200+ 2.2 ghz

4 gig of ram

Windows Vista 32 bit op system

thanks

Kobra88

im a bit stumped on this one.

i got a feeling you have some leaky capactitors on ya motherboard.

or maybe a power supply problem, change the power dongle that plugs into your card with the one from your cd/dvd players/

remove anything that is drawing power apart from the things you realy need, so unplug the cd/dvd/floppy extra fans etc, then run ya system, even unused pci cards, remove them if not needed.

get back to a bare bones system and start trial and error testing from there.

good luck.

more info:

the problem report in control panel states that rundll32 had a problem because of the nvidia drivers.

should my sound card and video be on the same IRQ?? because they are...wouldnt that create some issues?

i reinstalled my old vid card to see if it would work, and it didnt....could the bad vid card have done some collateral damage?

trying to think of everything.

Oh and the 8500gt requires no additonal power source..its plug and play.

kobra

dont use the first 2 slots below the pci-e video card slot, so move ya sound card down to the 3rd slot below pci-e slot. (i think)

only if you have a proper sound card that plugs into the motherbooard pci slot.

More info on the problem the day the vid card went out, on 9/27/08

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: WW2_sse2.exe

Application Version: 1.28.7.255

Application Timestamp: 4863cfb9

Hang Signature: 2902

Hang Type: 2048

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: 5e6498f989653f963e0e110b50a126c8

Additional Hang Signature 2: 1f83

Additional Hang Signature 3: 8f19c677a795b9187bd6da5efa5113b9

Additional Hang Signature 4: 2902

Additional Hang Signature 5: 5e6498f989653f963e0e110b50a126c8

Additional Hang Signature 6: 1f83

Additional Hang Signature 7: 8f19c677a795b9187bd6da5efa5113b9

Now today on the 30th after installation of a new vid card. I got the black screen with this error message.

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem

WD-20080930-2131.dmp

sysdata.xml

Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files

Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 117

BCP1: 8495C298

BCP2: 8E018E80

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 00000000

OS Version: 6_0_6001

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

I've been in a PM exchange with a guy named ramrock discussing this exact problem. We've tried a few things without solving the issue. He's got an 8800gt. I encouraged him to write a thread and maybe someone else would have some input on solving the same problem. Maybe he'll read this?

I was trying to get him to be more specific. Is your desktop usable after the screen goes "black"? Do you just alt tab to get rid of the blackness then restart the game? I'm guessing resolving the black screen doesn't require a restart of the machine?

It doesn't happen with ATI cards that I know of... =)

We may have the culprit, was talking to a freind in game. How about this. A 420watt power supply running a GeForce 6100 AM2 motherboard chipset, with a 8500gt vid card. Maybe just enough juice to run the machine 99% of the time, but causeing the card to work to hard during gaming therefore causing errors and eventually burning up.

After i had the machine for about 4 months the vid would frazzle and go blockie 1980s style then come right back...didnt think much of it other than new technology and drivers that needed improvement. Now a year after having it..the first card is gone and this one is already having problems, being the same card but with 1 gig of vid ram instead of 512. This would not be the first time not enough power was the culprit on one of my machines. But i would catch it because the upgrade i did wouldnt even power on the machine.

If your freind has recently upgraded or upgraded the vid card when purchased and did not upgrade the power supply as in my case. This might be the problem.

My only concern at this point is have I (we) damaged the motherboard by running to low of power in addition to burning up a vid card.

420Watts seems awful low and why the heck i didnt check it when i bought the machine is beyone me. I should know better, after messing with computers for 20 years. In 1988 i had a machine that had 350watt power supply the warning lights should be going off everytime i buy a machine, even a custom from a local shop like this one.

Would like to know what your freinds power supply is just to see if this hunch matches up.

Really concerned about the motherboard thing if anybody smarter than I about computers can see this and reply, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've suspected the power supply since day 1 but this guy has a 500watt enermax, which should be sufficient for a single 8800gt.

I would expect a power supply failure to reboot the whole machine not just give a momentary black screen, but maybe not.

I've suspected the power supply since day 1 but this guy has a 500watt enermax, which should be sufficient for a single 8800gt.

I would expect a power supply failure to reboot the whole machine not just give a momentary black screen, but maybe not.

It gives black screens to if it can't give the Video card enough amps it needs also the warmer they get the more power they take.

Some PSU give more amps on certain rails then other rails. High Amp for video card Lower ones for dvd's and what not. Some are labled some Are not. I would try swiching some plugs around to see if it makes a diffrence, By plugs I mean diffrent rails.

If you got an old PSU around I would jump it and just have it run the video card only, and run the rest of the pc from the main PSU in the case. Just to test out if its a power problem.

In the end it turns out one of the problems with the machine is a bad processor, probably caused by running underpowered for so long.

but to me, this doesnt thoroughly explain the AppHangb1 problem.

but if it goes away after i install a new motherboard and processor then all is well now isnt it.

Apphangb1 and livekernel event happen at the sametime. one lists as a wwiionline problem, the other as a video hardware problem.

new processor and vid card should be here tomorrow.

Kobra

Ramrock (unsubbed) posting on Srrock's acct here - never did figure this out. New drivers: no help. New OS (XP--> W7) seems to help some, in that it recovers from this w/o having to reset the PC. Only change to machine since adding W7 it to put it on a SSD, relegating the old HDDs to storage. It still goes off now and then, but recovers and reports that the video driver messed up and recovered.

Hope someone else running an old vid card will forgive my punt of an old, but good thread.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0