• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alphie

Just got Vista Ultimate w/ SP1...

12 posts in this topic

I went to a Microsoft Training session and they gave out full versions of Vista Ultimate w/SP1 for free. Should I install it? I really want your opinion, right now I have XP SP3.

Thnx,

alphie

I went to a Microsoft Training session and they gave out full versions of Vista Ultimate w/SP1 for free. Should I install it? I really want your opinion, right now I have XP SP3.

Thnx,

alphie

If your winXP is not broke, Don't fix it.

Vista okay if you don't want to game with it. You get better Performance in games with Xp than Vista.

If your winXP is not broke, Don't fix it.

Vista okay if you don't want to game with it. You get better Performance in games with Xp than Vista.

Have you tested that yourself or read some gamer magazine??

CJ

I've tested it and you can too. Vista -30% or so' date=' see for yourself.[/quote']

Did test Phenom 9850 Black Edition Quad-Core with 2 gigs ram and with Ati 4850 Win XP 32 VS Intel E8400 3.0 OCed to 3,8 with 8 gigs ram with ATi 4850 Win Vista Ultimate 64

And Vista did better.......

CJ

Thnx,

alphie

If you're happy with your XP I'd put the Vista back for a later build.

I'm running Vista home and XP Pro. I've had no probs with vista after I turned off the bits that were agrivateing. For me at least the game runs prety much the same on both with very little noticable difference.

Vista is a prettier version of XP, least my take on it.

Now as said I've got both on this comp, on seperate drives.

When I installed vista I did unhook the xp drive 1st so that ther would be no possibility of it "takeing over" or writeing to the xp drive.

Now that may not be proper install procedure but I do have 2 totaly seperate OS with neither dependant on the other. I can cross access files from either and even run some programs from one whlie booted in the other.

So to boot to the nonboot OS I do have to select the selective boot popup in the startup screen (f11 then select drive to boot from).

I run both. Except I installed both on the same physical HD (just under different partitions obviously.) So now when I turn the PC on, a menu comes up asking me which OS I want to boot into. For playing WWII Online I use XP, for most other functions I use Vista.

If your comp is high end then vista wont be that much of a bother, most of the problems it has with games can easily be overcome with the right amount of research/googling.

Or as someone has suggested dual booting is great, the only reason i have XP aswell is due to a soundcard issue not a game issue aswell.

Wow! Thanks for the responses from everyone. I really want to upgrade, because I run Vista at work.. heck Im typing right now from my Vista laptop. However, I was concerned because my home machine is my "gaming" machine. My XP works fine, albeit my desktop looks very dated after working with Vista all day.

My main concern was performance, and if anyone noticed a "decrease" in performance by using Vista?

Current system:

AMD Athlon x2 4400+

2GB DDR RAM

Nvidia 8800GT

80GB SATA

You can see my processor is pretty old and my motherboard uses the first generation ULi chipset, before they were bought out by Nvidia. I'll probably just put Vista on the shelf for when I upgrade my processor and motherboard later this year.

i bought a new gamming computer a month ago with Vista SP1, to date i have been unable to get a joystick to work in the game. would not suggest it until WWIIOL gets the bugs out.

i have tried every thing suggested, twice and no success

Did test Phenom 9850 Black Edition Quad-Core with 2 gigs ram and with Ati 4850 Win XP 32 VS Intel E8400 3.0 OCed to 3,8 with 8 gigs ram with ATi 4850 Win Vista Ultimate 64

And Vista did better.......

CJ

What you're feeling is the amazing difference in performance between an overclocked core2duo and what AMD has to offer right now, not necessarily a good OS performance comparison. Try it on identical systems. Vista represents at least a 20% performance drop. An e8400 @3.8ghz can outperform anything on the market including intel's $1000 quad cores in most games. It's at least 30-40% faster then AMD that's why it can run vista and still do better.

If you play nothing but ww2ol stay with xp. On vista the game will look exactly the same but your fps will be down 20-30%. If you play age of conan and want to see the direct x10 effects then install vista. I play almost nothing but ww2ol and GTA so I'm sticking with xp.

I'd put that box on the shelf until you actually have a need to upgrade.

I run Vista. All graphics on high I get 30-60fps in the highest populated battles. As others say, if you have the hardware its not a factor.

core2 quad 9400 at 3Ghz

4gbytes RAM

4870x2 video card

Raid 0 sata drive configuration

all other games run a million times better. I know my PC should be getting much higher fps but with this old graphics engine... my multi GPU and CPUs are wasted on this game no matter what OS I run.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0