Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
knocker

OpenAl/Directsound/Directsound3d

29 posts in this topic

I think WWIIOL uses OpenAL. Macs don't use DirectSound, so OpenAL makes more sense from a time management point of view.

Thx for the reply.

The problem is ..i use Vista and a Creative X-Fi. Vista Does not support DirectSound3d.

You have to use the Creative program "Alchemy" For Some Games...like Source Engine Games and other. It converts the DirectSound3d into openal.

When u dont do it Eax and sound3d does not work. It changes to normal Stereo sound.

....I heard from some people that they had sound problems with mostly onboardsound mixed with Vista.

So when BGE runs on Dirctsound3d..the problem is found..

http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/_layouts/viewlsts.aspx

http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/Lists/Games/AllItems.aspx

<---BGE not in list...as usual

System Requirements for BGE are:

DirectSound compatible audio card.

------------

This makes me think BGE uses DirectSound or DirectSound3d which will cause problems.

Is there anyone who can tell me what BGE definitly uses?

BTW..theres a tiny typo in the system requirements for PC. "compatib(i<-)le"

..Macs maybe dont use directsound3d but they also do not use DirectX which you need to install for BGE as a windows user...i feel used now ;)

ok...i did some sound testing.

When i activate BGE in Alchemy the sound is much better.

I mean the 3d sound. The problem was: When u hear a tank or anything else u cant tell the direction...or how far it is away. I didnt notice it ...cause i just fly since i have vista and thought its normal or maybe my headphones.

So when u have a Creative soundcard and Vista u have to download the program alchemy and activate BGE by yourself in Alchemy. It drops 2 .dll folders in the BGE folder and then its fixed.

Alchemy does not have to run when u play.

When you have onboardsound or something like that...Creative Alchemy might not work. And your sound in vista is screwed.

Scroll down in this link for download:

http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/ALchemy/Home.aspx

The problem with vista is explained here:

http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx

And here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectSound

bump...Can someone ask a rat what BGE now uses?

Ive sent a ticket to ask em. No answer til now. I dont think its that complicated to find it out.

For me the answer seems clear.

But i would like to hear something official. Vista is not out since yesterday and its pretty normal.

Vista is not fully compatible atm!? yea, someone forgot his homeworks?

BUMP because this is a very important topic for anyone running vista/win7 with a creative setup. My sound was crap until i forced BE through the Alchemy software

It's a 2 year old thread...

I thought at one point the rats said game used openAL...which at the time I never heard of and still don't know 1 thing about and still never hear of it. I thought it was weird at the time to use something like that...

btw I've notice that from when the game first came out the directional sound quality seems to have diminished in game...at one time you could clearly pinpoint units location from sound sight unseen and now it's just a guessing game at best and your likely not going to be anywhere near the ballpark even.

sound used to be really good in game...I wish they would revisit it and FIX IT

BTW...EVERYONE uses ONBOARD sound now. it's a rare individual that will waste their $$$ for an add in soundcard in this day and age...even hardcore games no longer will do this

Edited by Vampress

I dont know why everyone says that the onboard audio is better. I do sound editing on my podcast using $180 headphones and the difference between onboard and my soundcard is day and night. Same with gaming.

most people don't use soundcards anymore...even gamers DO NOT BUY them

it's a FACT

when onboard sound can do stuff like 7.1 and other high end surround solutions the need to buy sound cards largely went away...

about the ONLY people still buying them are musicians for recording

When I get the money I'll be buying one, because I'm sick of hearing my Ethernet connection through my headphones :D

When I get the money I'll be buying one' date=' because I'm sick of hearing my Ethernet connection through my headphones :D[/quote']

that's a problem with some motherboards you get intereference and noise...

same thing can happen with an add on card also though..

your reason is about the only reason I'd get an add on card btw...

Edited by Vampress

I am pretty sure OpenAL is used, although I don't see an OpenAL DLL in the game folder. OpenAL is a cross platform sound library, so they can use the same sound code on both Windows and Mac (and Linux, if they every re-port the game back...)

You all forget the maximum sounds for a intergrated audio card is 24/32

Bud's 7.1 Azuentec card does 128/128 sounds

There is a big difference between 24 sounds at the same time, and 128 sounds.

Ever shot your rifle and not heard the sound? or watched a panzer tank roll by and its quiet? Or how about that nhatze that shoots you up silently because you didn't hear his footsteps.

128 sounds makes a difference.

Edited by indo420

The onboard 7.1 title is just a fancy hat on the old AC97 codec. For sound editing, onboard is a mess. For gaming, I wouldnt use onboard sound when decent sound cards can be had for 80 bucks.

All the debates aside, adding BE to the Creative Alchemy profile made the sound much much better. Hope this helps someone else.

Well i'm now going to give this "creative alchemy" a whirl (for a 2nd time) & see if it helps my sounds/sound blaster audigy 4.

Well i'm now going to give this "creative alchemy" a whirl (for a 2nd time) & see if it helps my sounds/sound blaster audigy 4.

try the AC-97 codec as well for your particular operating system as well .

Hummm' date=' I've not used onboard sound for gameing....................Ever.[/quote']

people hardly buy sound cards anymore...unless they are using them to assemble music.

22.2 sound is where it's at for the future...maybe in 10 years.

to go along with ultra High def TV...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Television

now you know how homes of the future will be designed...they will have to take into account the accostics of future TV and provide for proper speaker placement and size/volume of room will be substantial.

Edited by Vampress

To set some things straight:

Vista and 7 do support 3d sound, but it's processed in software by a Microsoft library.

What hardware you use does not matter anymore, hence no more bionic ears either.

So I'm in favor of that new way. Our cpus are fast enough anyway.

The only way to do it in hardware now is alchemy.

I truly hope this directional sound issue gets fixed ASAP. Unfortunately with my X-FI setup and the new update the sound has become a game breaker.

I will have to unsub until the issue gets resolved. I cannot play the game when all sounds are in stereo with the same amplitude.

I am convincedit has something to do with the "bionic ears fix"

I have to add that I cannot use Alchemy since I am using XP.

Ohh and just a quick note to Vampress.. these following quotes are all false:

people hardly buy sound cards anymore...unless they are using them to assemble music.

most people don't use soundcards anymore...even gamers DO NOT BUY them it's a FACT

BTW...EVERYONE uses ONBOARD sound now. it's a rare individual that will waste their $$$ for an add in soundcard in this day and age...even hardcore games no longer will do this

I don't understand how you can be so adament about somehting that is actually very untrue.

Hard core (and even occasional ) gamers do in fact buy and use sound cards.. and YES just for gaming.

There is no onboard intergrated sound that can even come close to the quality of even the cheapest sound card.

Have you experienced BGE with ANY sound card vs even a so called 7.1 (which is not really 7.1 surround sound) intergrated sound???

Anyone who has, would very easily dismiss any of your false claims.

Edited by denisd

For anything greater then 2.1 sound you need more then a NORMAL 2 speaker/1 sub setup...

most computers sold are prebuilt junkers...they use onboard sound.

ALL motherboards sold now come with ONBOARD sound(99% I'm pretty sure)...it's just not that compelling to spend another $100 for a sound card when ur getting it for basically FREE on your M/B

most computer build guides on hardware sites on the web don't even bother to mention soundcards as it's assumed m/b sound is adequate for all but audiphilles and muscians.

EAX or whatever sound used to be a big deal with games...I'm not sure they have anything like this anymore that is a big seller for sound cards

fact is you hear MORE CRYING on forums from people with soundcards and them not 'working' as good as tehy should or with 'problems' that it really doesn't help sell add in sound cards...

LETS ALSO NOT FORGET that HD video and 1080P alot of people are just using thier video cards to process the sound now...sound processors built into the video cards? would be weird if it weren't so...

*faceplam* !!!!

I can't believe I am even responding to a thread that ended with the line "LETS ALSO NOT FORGET that HD video and 1080P alot of people are just using thier video cards to process the sound now" (I won't even start to show you how wrong this statement was).

99% of all MB sold today have onboard sound. But most gamers WILL spend the money on an sound card to actually get premium sound for around 100$. If we take a poll here I am willing to bet that over 70% of BGE gamers use some sort of external sound card. And yes MOST games outh there and in the future do in fact use EAX (up to EAX5.0 at the moment I beleve) which DRAMTICALLY alters the audio.

I have argued about silly things, but for someone to even suggest onboard audio vs external sound card, it is VERY OBVIOUS you have never experienced this game (or ANY other game) with a good sound card. Our complaints about the sound with our external sound cards is very justified. I do see some people with onboard sound also complain about the game breaking changes.

Vampress there is NO WAY in hell you will convinve ANYONE with even a basic sound card that onboard sound is just as good. So let's stop this rediculous debate that is about as senseless as debating the quarter mile performance of a Ford Focus and a Porsche 911. THERE IS NO DEBATE!

If you are going to spend 1500-2000$ on a kick *** system, you will NEVER skimp out on an external sound card.

If I ever run into a PC build guid in a magazine or on the net which directs the buyer to the onboard sound and makes no mention of an external card, I will NOT read any furher, I will move on to another guide because I know the person writing it has NO IDEA what he/she is talking about!

So lets move on and get CRS to work on this issue ASAP!! You are loosing subscribers to this game breaking issue!!

Edited by denisd

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0