Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
knocker

OpenAl/Directsound/Directsound3d

29 posts in this topic

I think my point is that ONBOARD sound is the BAR

the sound in the game now barely reachs that 1 foot off the ground bar...I mean really if they have 'problems' with onboard sound on what is basically GOLD standard drivers that all other computer games have to accept and code for how much better will they do with the $200 sound card hardware?

to have it reach the bar set by a high end sound card? to have the sound code in game actually fully implent and show off the capabilities of some $200 sound card?

the ball is in the court of the programmers for the game(crs)...if they pick it up and actually play with it is the real ?

honestly the MOST important specification I believe in a sound card now is the STEREO SPERATION db and have a low noise level(because in this game your going to crank it up and strain to hear that distant truck/tank). stereo separation is the difference in volume between left and right channels that the card is capable of...the bigger the # the better your going to be able to tell direction. at one time some of the aftermarket cards(high end) only had like 35db of stereo seperation...thats utter crap spec and I'm not sure what they ahve now.

biggest problem with sound in the game is directional abilities...many can't tell within 90 degrees or more what direction something is in. I've play the game with a 'good' sound card that actually worked and you could play in a pitch black screen and jsut by sound alone get within 5 feet of guessing where something was...it was awesome how well you could pinpoint the locations of sound back then(there was no sneaking anything in then...)

Edited by Vampress

<<<<<

" I've play the game with a 'good' sound card that actually worked and you could play in a pitch black screen and jsut by sound alone get within 5 feet of guessing where something was...it was awesome how well you could pinpoint the locations of sound back then(there was no sneaking anything in then...)"

This very statement has made my point. Thank you!

<<<<<

" I've play the game with a 'good' sound card that actually worked and you could play in a pitch black screen and jsut by sound alone get within 5 feet of guessing where something was...it was awesome how well you could pinpoint the locations of sound back then(there was no sneaking anything in then...)"

This very statement has made my point. Thank you!

but it was years ago...

and the sound changed since then...at least once or maybe twice they used diffrent sound code for the game since I used that awesome sound card.

I was playing on a pentiumIII 1ghz with a 32mb radeon AIW card when I had that good sound....

so why did they change it? been away from game almost 2 years due to illness. i never cancelled my account and just logged in the other day for the first time and thought there was something wrong with my computer. i reloaded my sound drivers a few times and even reinstalled the game 3 times. now it looks like the computer is fine but the game is not. in a game like this good positional audio is a must! and it makes it more realistic. when your having a hard time holding on to subscribers why downgrade the game and force guys like me who have been playing from day one to have to look some place else. this is just wrong! I was so looking forward to getting back with the squad again only to realize the game just isnt as enjoyable as it once was.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0