• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aop

Does Athlon 64 make any difference?

52 posts in this topic

So my current rig is:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 11*205MHz=2255MHz

1,5GB DDR RAM

GeForce 6800 128MB @ core400MHz/mem800MHz

I have really crap FPS in WWII Online, especially in 1.19. It jumps between 15-50 and never goes above 25 in big battles. So I ordered some new parts:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1,8GHz Venice (target overclock atleast 2,3GHz)

Epox 9NDA3+

Zalman CNPS-7700Cu

(new case: Compucase LX-6A21)

What kind of performance increase should I expect?

tell me what you get though, I really don't know.

but according to what I read, the Venice core should be able to pull 2.6 ghz with stock cooling and stock voltage ( 1.4v )

So my current rig is:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ @ 11*205MHz=2255MHz

1,5GB DDR RAM

GeForce 6800 128MB @ core400MHz/mem800MHz

I have really crap FPS in WWII Online, especially in 1.19. It jumps between 15-50 and never goes above 25 in big battles. So I ordered some new parts:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1,8GHz Venice (target overclock atleast 2,3GHz)

Epox 9NDA3+

Zalman CNPS-7700Cu

(new case: Compucase LX-6A21)

What kind of performance increase should I expect?

well, if that epox motherboard is what i think it is (939 chipset), i think you should atleast get a 50% increase of FPS, and my company sells epox boards, and they are good and stable, and also amongst the cheapest, but good.

the key here is the DDR RAM, and the usage of the dual channel setup that hte 939 MB has built in, and the PCU/GPU/game wants and almost demands for good FPS.

the trick is to make sure you got coverage in this setup with memory:

slot 1 and 3 filled with DDR Ram (see the colouring of connectors, use same colour)

and if you got 2 more sticks of ram:

Slot 2 and 4 filled with DDR Ram (see the colouring of connectors, use same colour)

DO NOT use 1 or 3 sticks, that WILL slow your system down, and dual channel memory will not be available to you, think 2 and 2.

PS: be very careful with the overclock attempt, i work in a company that fixes computers for households, and get alot of burnt CPUs/busted MB/killed GPUs(grafficcards). and a BIG BIG tip is to make sure your PSU(steady good voltage across the board) is among the best that is, the better it is, the better your system will behave and you decrease the chance of busted parts.

Good luck to you, and your new rigg, looks sweet, and i am sure you get some decent FPS increase.

Yes, I know that Epox mobos are good. I'm currently using Epox 8RDA+. When I get my A64 stuff, I'll put 2x512MB 400MHz and 2x256MB 400MHz memory sticks to new mobo. So I should be able to use Dual-Channel, right?

edit: I'm using Enermax 350W PSU and it should be OK. I have been into overclocking since my first Pentium (120MHz@165MHz [3x55MHz]).

edit2: I have never managed to burn a CPU. Few mobos and PSUs have died to my OC attemps.

Yes, I know that Epox mobos are good. I'm currently using Epox 8RDA+. When I get my A64 stuff, I'll put 2x512MB 400MHz and 2x256MB 400MHz memory sticks to new mobo. So I should be able to use Dual-Channel, right?

edit: I'm using Enermax 350W PSU and it should be OK. I have been into overclocking since my first Pentium (120MHz@165MHz [3x55MHz]).

edit2: I have never managed to burn a CPU. Few mobos and PSUs have died to my OC attemps.

Yes' date=' I know that Epox mobos are good. I'm currently using Epox 8RDA+. When I get my A64 stuff, I'll put 2x512MB 400MHz and 2x256MB 400MHz memory sticks to new mobo. So I should be able to use Dual-Channel, right?[/quote']

yes, you should get dual channel.

good, enermax is among the best that is, and i must say i am biasd, i use them myself on my rigs:)

edit2: I have never managed to burn a CPU. Few mobos and PSUs have died to my OC attemps

well, its not that hard to take down a CPU, too bad cooling, or just too mutch voltage will kill it fast, and not stable voltage is also a big killer (shitty PSUs, like q-tec and so on, you get what you pay for here), bad voltage is also a gigant CTD maker in this game, and people seem to forget the importnace of a good PSU, they buy top of the line stuff in their comp, and think they can save on the PSUs, SHAME on them.

Heh, I have never managed to kill a CPU. I even managed to break corners of my old Celeron II 800MHz CPUs core. It worked well after that and was decent OC too. I used it 800@1066MHz.

I know that there must be people playing with A64 rigs and I'd like to hear their own experiences about how FPS increases after changing old Athlon XP to A64.

edit: Should I be able to play at 1600*1200 after upgrade? Currently I'm playing at 1280*960 2xAA 16xAF and everything High, except Visual player limit Medium.

aop, i bought a athlon64. i used my old ram from my p4 2.4 box(pc3200 i think) which is a gig. I also bought a 6800gt OC vid card. The game runs like its a brand new game to me.

Heh, I have never managed to kill a CPU. I even managed to break corners of my old Celeron II 800MHz CPUs core. It worked well after that and was decent OC too. I used it 800@1066MHz.

I know that there must be people playing with A64 rigs and I'd like to hear their own experiences about how FPS increases after changing old Athlon XP to A64.

edit: Should I be able to play at 1600*1200 after upgrade? Currently I'm playing at 1280*960 2xAA 16xAF and everything High, except Visual player limit Medium.

yes, you should be able, in my oppinion, but alot depends, like drivers, fine tuneing of your comp and so on.

but, you might have to lower your 2xAA 16xAF, so that is said, but it depends:)

i did upgrade from 3000XP to 3000 64 chip, and a 939 MB, and with 2 gigs of ram, and a 6600GT, i got decent FPS, but not running top resulutions, its running 1280x1024 32 bits, with high vis, and decent amount of goodies, and i am doing about 30 to 40 FPS.

but 1 fact i think still has alot to do with this game, is the pingtimes, witch i got very high numbers, and also slows my main comp down (FX53/3 gigs of ram/Asus a8v deluxe 939/6800 ultra and raid 0 on 2 36 gig raptors in stripe mode and MB/GPU/CPU is watercooled and overclocked. that comp, with not alot of the goodies, i got 50 FPS in game in 1600x1200, but used it on a different ISP line, and got 30 FPS more, if ping time was low.

Regarding the ping and FPS connection, this is not listed by the rats, but with what i seen and experienced, its in there it seems, so please do not look at my numbers, and BTW, i live in Europe, thats why the high ping times.

Hey AOP,

Care to donate/sell that XP 2400? :) Is it Socket-A?

I'm stuck on a XP 2000, it's killing me. I'd prefer a 2500+ 333FSB, but they're hard to come by without paying without paying extortion. :)

PM me or email me, click my 'www', email there.

Hmmm. I live in Finland so it's quite impossible to ship a XP2400+ to US :P And why don't you get one from Ebay? They're only $20-40 there.

While the game doesn't support 64 bit FP processing, (although I imagine it would improve performance alot with all the bullet trajectories and whatnot), the AMD64 chips are faster than both their Athlon XP and Intel equivalents, just because the chipset is better designed. So upgrading to an A64 should give you a large leap in performance from what you've got now.

This forum really needs "Hardware" section. That would make people more aware what kind of hardware is recommended to make WWII Online more enjoyable. It would also steer people away from bad choices like Dell and HP overpriced computers.

This forum really needs "Hardware" section. That would make people more aware what kind of hardware is recommended to make WWII Online more enjoyable. It would also steer people away from bad choices like Dell and HP overpriced computers.

For what it's worth I made a similar upgrade just this week so I kind of have an idea what I'm talking about.

My machine for a while now has been an Athlon xp 2400+ with 1gig DDR 333mhz RAM and a radeon 9800 pro 128mb. I would say that the game mostly ran in the 20's capping out in the low 30's. Sure there would be peaks above and below those numbers but that was the normal operating range.

In preperation I sold my 9800 pro and installed my old ti-4200 64mb. With that I was typically hanging out in the low to mid 20's with dips down near 10.

On Wed. I upgraded to an Athlon 64 3000+, using the same ram as before and an nvidia 6600gt. For the most part my minimum framerate is 30 now, sometimes it dips to 25ish in really really heavy fighting. It's also kind of tricky to tell with the way the servers have been running becuase i've seen it go from 59fps to 9 back to 59. I'm not sure how much of a factor the 64bit part is but the jump from my 2400 is just amazing. Like I said the minimum framerate is 30 with an occasoinally dip below but usually i'm running in the upper 30's to mid 40's consistently. Open fields I'll head up to 85-90 but 30-40 in towns with fighting.

Also for comparison the athlon xp 2400 with radeon 9800pro scored a 36,000 in Aquamark. The new machine out of the box got a 52,000. After overclocking which was stupid easy with Nvidia's Ntune that score went up to 59,000.

I think we should have a RAT comment about CPUs and new "Hardware" section idea.

Take it from me, I purchased a OEM A64 3200+ (939 pin) about 6 months ago, and it was a best purchase of my life. Coupled with 1 GB of quality dual channel DDR400 RAM (Corsair, matched modules), and a 6800 GT I OC'ed to Ultra speeds, I am able to play 1.19 at 1280x1024, 32bit; 4x AA, 8x aniso, size 8 shadows, max tree detail/distance, everything to max and of course vertex shaders on trees and water with vis limit set to max.

With this, I can easily get 30 FPS in a town with a decent battle, 50+ out in the field with a few people around and over 100 FPS offline. Its a good choice, and I also must commend on the Zalmann 7700Cu - great choice.

BTW I get around 5000 3DMarks on 2005.

Epox mobos are among the best. I already used about 6 of them and only one broke cause my psu killed it. I never had to return one back for warranty or whatever...

Epox sucks, never going back, having to pay them to fix something then have it come back still broken sucks lol.

damn c1 error

I don't believe that Epox mobos suck. I know only one person who has managed to kill his Epox. It's no miracle because he has also managed to kill few HDs, few CPUs and couple of PSUs.

How can you guys have crap fps with 6800's ? i just dont get it.

Crappy CPUs, like my 2 years old XP2400+ (although OCd). I didn't buy this GF6800 card for WWII Online only. I play many other games too.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0