Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dooom

should I order this PC for flying?

54 posts in this topic

quad cores are pretty useless atm.

They are always usable, trust me. Saying as a Quad G5 (OS X) user for years.

Once an app has dual core support, it is not big deal to use quad cores. At least one core can do the OS work, services work.

Like I said' date=' I'm old. I had some ATI crap back in the day (90's) and I have this thing about getting burned more than once and saying never again. The drivers just sucked and they did nothing to fix them. I never had a problem with Nvidia gear and they have been fast enough that I could occasionally skip a generation change before I needed to buy again. Today, the high end cards are all blindingly fast so the difference is minimal in most games. In fact both border on overkill at low resolutions. I have a 26" 19x12 Doublesight LCD, and the Nvidia gear handles the higher resolutions a bit better as a single card solution. I am happy ATI is competitive, they hold Nvidias prices down to a reasonable level. Otherwise it would be 3Dfx all over again.. :)[/quote']

As I don't run Windows, I am a bit ignorant on this. What was that obvious driver bug and which driver (ATI or Nvidia) created it? I wouldn't use their stuff. Also important is, how is their DEVELOPER support? If it takes 3x time to make a shader for that GPU and on other one, easier, the easy one will have best performance and quality.

Half or more of graphics card is the driver quality, trust me as a person who has to run old OS X (10.4) so it can work with 30+ fps compared to 5 Fps on Leopard (10.5, like Vista) on same hardware.. Oh I run Nvidia 6600 but I can't even contact Nvidia for it, it is Apple's job to fix it.

Also for 3dfx, poor thing never worked because of horrible drivers and direct3d support. (had Voodoo 3)

I would welcome a new company. It would be refreshing to have even more choices. I wish 3dfx was still around. I want a new Voodoo 12! I didn't get into computer building until 1999-2000 so I think I missed out on the whole ATI driver fiasco. I've never had any significant issues with ATI drivers since I started using them that they didn't fix in a fairly timely manner. Some of you computer guys hold a grudge forever. A company makes some bad drivers in the 90's and they still suck in 2008.. =) I gave up my Asus grudge and bought a new P5Qpro.

Took me until 2002 before I caved in. I banged my head against the wall with only my Amiga 4000 until then but I got tired of having to burn all the movies to VCD and not being able to play any of the new games.

Though, it's still running. I play some old games on it now and then and it's my computer of choise when I design websites. Mainly because if it's viewable in the Amiga web browsers it's viewable everywhere.

I have to admit that I'm a bit idealistic though. I won't buy an intel cpu, not as long as AMD is still alive. In general it's no big issue since those noone of us really needs one of those high performance cpu's, unless you're into 3D rendering or some other heavy duty computing. The Phenom 9850 I have now delivers beautifully, I've never had such blazing performance in this game before and it even gave life to the old X850XT.

I've had both nvidia and ATI cards. There I really don't care much about what I get. I get what I believe gives me the best at the time I want to buy. The old Ti4200 does a great job in my second computer still. Though, it's now starting to see the end of it's life when it comes to gaming.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0