Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

v1.30 OPEN BETA: Map Renders White (slow UI map updates)

xanthus

There is a white background on the map in some cases but it vanishes as soon as the map cells are drawn. In other cases the background is non-white so you don't see the flash as readily. Unless the white squares remain visible its not a bug.

Gophur if you have the coders change the background color of the map to something different, like the green map green, then people won't notice it. This has always been there for me and isn't a real problem though.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DOC

• GOPHUR

• ltrain

• xanthus

Top Posters In This Topic

As of .22, the problem seems just as bad as ever. Getting a mix of blank cells and low res cells. :(

When I first reported the problem, I was using the Nvidia official 178.24 WHQL driver; I'm currently using the latest official driver, 180.48

This is unfortunately looking like it is tied to how high end your rig is.

Think I have a pretty high-end rig...not the greatest, but not too shabby.

Nvidia 8800GT 512mb SSC edition

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.09ghz

2x1gb DDR2-800

Windows XP Pro

Still not fixed.

Sometimes the blank cells are replaced by full-resolution cells within seconds, sometimes they're never replaced no matter how long I have the map up.

Still not fixed.

Sometimes the blank cells are replaced by full-resolution cells within seconds, sometimes they're never replaced no matter how long I have the map up.

Same rig here basically. That is certainly a caching issue off of the disk i think. Not sure. We're going to have to keep looking at it but I can;t hold the release for it today.

It's not necessarily a game-breaker, just annoying I suppose.

I agree, I'd hate to see something like this hold up release so I'm glad you guys are moving forward. :)

There is a white background on the map in some cases but it vanishes as soon as the map cells are drawn. In other cases the background is non-white so you don't see the flash as readily. Unless the white squares remain visible its not a bug.

Gophur if you have the coders change the background color of the map to something different, like the green map green, then people won't notice it. This has always been there for me and isn't a real problem though.

huh? I don't generally post to gamer forums, but...

I don't care what color is displayed in lieu of the graphics, this is a bug because we aren't talking about something that flashes by. It can take much clicking and cussing to actually see anything on the map and the minimap has a similar problem.

I develop software for a living and am not about to take shots at anyone about things that are sometimes hard to reproduce and even harder to get a handle on. But a bug is a bug.

I understand that 1.29 involves some fairly major stuff to prepare for Unity 2 and would not call this a show stopper for anyone who has already decided the game is worth playing. But bugs like this are likely to look kind of amateur-hacky to anyone who is coming in as a new subscriber and I'll bet whoever does CRS marketing would be more concerned than you seem to be.

Upshot is that I've seen many comments about the problem in chat, it apparently isn't about enhanced system requirements, and will be an issue until somebody fixes it.

==kraaken==

Well, I have the issue too, but I can fix it.

I simply have to add the game to both cores. Currently only core one is choosen, that was a fix for something else by an earlier patch, if I remember right. Now you should map the game back to both cores.

I have an Intel Dual Core E6700.

Hope that fix works for others too.

Drave

Noticed that last night as well (my 1st time in the live server after 1.29).

Core 2 Duo E6600

2GB RAM

8800GTX - last drivers

WinXP SP3

I'll just throw it on here that I have major map problems in both map and mini-map, since my specs go against most other people's

2.3ghz Turion64 (single core)

1GB RAM

Windows XP

Radeon Xpress 200M

• Registered Users

Setting the ww2_sse2.exe affinity to both cores seems to have fixed this for me as well.

There was a thread somewhere that I can't seem to find about the White map problems some people are having. There was a suggestion in there that adding a cpu core affinity would fix it. I tried it, and it worked for me.

How to tell if this may help you:

With the game running, Open your task manager (ctrl+alt+delete)

Click on the "Processes" tab

Right click on the WW2_sse2.exe executable, select "Set Affinity..."

Another menu box should pop up with a list of CPUs. If you have CPU 0 and CPU 1 with a checkmark in only one box, click the other box to select it.

Make sure you have a checkmark next to both CPUs, then click OK.

Close the Task Manager and return to the game. Open your map, zoom in and out, move around, test it out. If the white map problem is gone, it worked.

This of course assumes you run the SSE executable and that you have 2 CPU cores. Hope this helps.

Edit: And yeah now I see it up there as the very first thread. :P

I reported this early in beta and it's just gotten worse now with live release.

I has something to do with rendering/loading of map tiles backrounds...

This bug has two pars that I think are linked:

A: Map sometimes fails to lead while zooming in and out or scrolling. It can stay white for long time unless you move the map more.

B: When you have just launched game and is scrolling around the map for the first time the high-res version of the map fails to load a lot and the map backround is the old low-res map instead of the high res one. It seems though that when you one have managed to get the high res map loaded for a area this part of the bug will not come back unless you restart the game.

EDIT: Activating 2nd core helps a lot but you can still spot the white squares but now they don't seem to stick and the real map render real fast.

Good feedback gents. The core setting is interesting given that we all have dual core machines just about and still can;t replicate it.

We're still digging on this one.

Noticed now that if I enable both cores for ww2.exe right after I start the game this bug pretty much goes away... the low-res problem is nowhere to be seen.

Persistent map problems have dwindled away. Still some longer load times where I'll have white map for 5-10 second but it does now come up every time, but no more consistent blur or white.

• Registered Users

OK, I have one comp, 2 operateing systems. XP Pro sp1 and Vista32, no sp installed.

The XP install as stated has the whitesquares pretty bad unless I set the affinity to both cores. Both cores enables does give me a slight stutter over heavy battles though. Not serious but noticable.

The vista install though as I drag the map there is only a quick glimse of white on the map. Setting both cores on shortens this to barely a white flash but without the affinity it's just noticable but not a big deal.

The only difference between the 2 is, OS and drivers.

The xp I just updated the vid driver to the next to latest forceware...ends in .60 with .70 just a week or so newer.

The vista install I have the 7.15.11.7792 nvidia driver dated 8/15/2008.

Sound driver on both is the same plantronics driver (not sposed to work on vista but I managed to find a way to fool vista into installing it.)

These are totaly seperate OS as I unhooked the vista drive prior to installing xp on the 2nd drive (so as to not have vista over ride any of the xp install.)

E2160 1.8 ghz OC to 2.35 ghz

asrock vista duel mobo

9600gt vid, no OC on either OS

plantronics dsp500 heatset as primary sound

2gigs OCZ ddr ram

Since 1.29 I also have the white map problem but only when playing. When I am in the selection screen and choose theater map the map is blurry.

Here is a link to my dxdiag file if it is of any use. I doubt it is my system, as I didn't have the problem in the version 1.28 and below.

DXDiag.txt

I just can't replicate this. There has to be a common thread. Drivers?

Gonna have to move this out of critical until I can find out what it is.

I have this problem when running core 0 only in the affinity setup. Zooming and unzooming will sometimes fix it but it can take awhile (like 20 - 30 secs) if it does correct at all.

Setting affinity to core 1 only and I will get some blurring or white patches but it corrects in a second or 2, even zooming in and out.

Setting affinity to core 0 and core 1 totally eliminates the problem and i see no blurring or white patches, not on initial map opening and not when zooming.

No issue till Camp #50. Now the problem occurs as described in this thread.

Nothing has changed on my end, this is only happening since camp #50 started.

I don't have a problem with the ingame map, but the overall strategic map has a consistent problem for me. It always works fine when I first start the game, but the first time I go to change brigades, it renders white. Changing the affinity does nothing for me.