Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badger77

3RD party Creative Driver And Video Settings.

25 posts in this topic

OK have an interesting bit of news and a question Abotu FPS vide system settings. (A Peach this one.)

Firstly I have the new creative driver set for my XFI Gamer card. I wasn't happy really. It was ok and seemed alright but I had to turn off everything in the options to make it sound ok. So the crystalizer, eax and all that jazz. I just wasn't convinced by their drivers so I hunted around.

Seems some guy has been taking them apart for a while and has a version of his own so I tried it. Definitely sounds better. Went into game and can actually hear everything very clearly as an individual sound. This was new and almost unnerving as I could hear planes above town all the time rather than the muffled drivers before. Youp pax drivers.

http://files.filefront.com/PAX+X+Fi+OS+V620rar/;12112026;/fileinfo.html

Now onto the video settings ingame. I had been playing around with two

The no frame run ahead and vertical sync in the settings.

What do they do ?

If I enable the vertical sync then it limits the FPS to around 58 or 63. If I take it off then FPS will be whatever they can be from 100 - 350 depending on area.

I found though that in one instance with it off (i.e high frame rates) then I had issues. The mouse seemed to "stick" sometimes. Also with the french pistol I could fire it and it would have the animation of firing but not actually sound or discharge a bullet.

Changed the settings and bullet fires everytime ?

So what should they both be set to and what they do ?

This has been reported before, that high framerates causes strange effects with massive tearing as well as mouse movements getting a bit erratic and firing not working as it should. The fix is to enable vertical sync.

One of the rats explained this with the game not being designed for these huge framerates that some of us with top end hardware have.

Honestly there's no need for any more than 60 FPS since a 60 Hz screenmode can't show more than 60 frames anyway.

Oh agreed.

If I can hold 35 FPS always then I am happy so 50 - 60 always is fine :)

What do both options do. The Vertical sync I presume limits the FPS to the sync rate of your monitor hence 60 fps for a larger TFT as I have with it on.

Whats frame run. ?

Also can I say this new driver suite is much better than the ones creative supply. - Looks the same still use the same software but it sounds great now.

Ahh Good.

New drivers :)

I am glad it's not just me that has noticed. It definitely is much better isn't it ?/

Good to know -

Freakin awesome news. This reminds me of the Omega drivers that some guy has been making for ATI for years. This almost deserves a sticky.

Vertical Syncing does this...it limits your card's write to the screen to only that time that your electron stream is beginning a new write at the upper left hand corner of the screen. What this does to your fps is..VS on makes the card wait till you begin the new cycle and your refresh controls the cycle number. If your Refresh is 60hz..the card can only write to the screen 60 times. Say your computer suddenly sees more and your card can only process at best 59fps...it then has to drop to 30FPS because it will miss on write cycle.

The formula is VS on...FPS=Refresh/N where N is any interger from 1 to infinity..but 10 is probably the highers that matters. This forumla givea FPS at 60hz..of 60/30/20/15/12/10/..then vaules inbetween till 6 is reached.

Vertical Syncing Off..lets the vidcard write to the screen whenever it can. Your Refresh can be 60hz like most LCD monitors but the computer can process 100 screens or whatever.

So, VS off and your computer can only write 59 times..you will have 59FPS, where if VS is on your machine when it can process 59 FPS will only write 30 times. Then when it can only do 29..it will only write 20....etc.

WOW. These drivers really do make a very noticeable difference in the game.

Someone needs to post these in other forums...

OK I am a n00b. There is no read me. I took out all my old creative stuff. But when I try to launch the driver, it wont open. So can someone give me a quick run down?

OK the package that downloads it a rar. I presume you have expanded it ?

In not use a utility to expand the package such as 7-zip www.7-zip.org

Then go into into the folder it creates and double click the setup.exe.

It will just run and install like the normal creative suite drivers.

Few things that helped for me in settings.

Turn off the CMSS 3D crud and the SVM especially for speaker setups and 5.1 setups etc.

Use the 24bit crystalizer.

Apart from that play around. I use game mode with the above settings off and it's great. Switch to entertainment mode for music etc.

did u have the "bug" where u heard all kind of stuff very close even if it was miles away before?

just curious whether this gonna fix this also.

otherwise i got problems every now and then with getting the right direction an et or whatever is inbound from.

will give it a try within the next few days. thx for the link!

bb

hearing stuff even miles away is not a "bug", its the SVM thingy which normalizes quiet sounds and so forth, meaning everything, even far away stuff sounds like right next to you.

The guy who made the version pretty much rocks. His name is Robert McClelland and i tried to install his version (Pax_PCI_XFI_OS_V6.25.rar). I'm getting an error during the installation so i thought it maybe got to do with the X-FI Supreme FX I'm having (came with my board ASUS Rampage Extreme).

Decided to mail him and he replied within few minutes saying he will have a look at my drivers if i want to.

thumbs up for that guy

bb

Yes I am really pleased with the results and thankful I found them !!

Just given a new element to the game - I can hear stuff I never have done before.

Remember if you like them I'm sure he does take donations so a few bucks or euros I am sure would not go amiss.

There are a fair few BE gamers who are getting good results so hats off to him.

did u have the "bug" where u heard all kind of stuff very close even if it was miles away before?

just curious whether this gonna fix this also.

Thats caused by one of the special effects of the soundcard. In essence its intended to play the sounds over 7.1 surround, but your headset is 2.1. So it tries to fiddle the sounds in, sharing them over both earplugs so to speak. The advantage is that you hear a plane when it leaves the airfield, like its over your head. But then again, you have to aim (center) to get the right sounds hehe. In effect you are a sort of soundradar. But its not playable in essence tho.

At least thats my experience.

AN Update for Audigy users

The first (one I linked) supports XFI series.

The Second supports Audigy and audigy notebook !!

They are called Wingfoot for XFI and Winglock for audigy.

Winglock (Just drivers so 35MB)

http://files.filefront.com/PAX+PCI+Audigy+OS+V625rar/;12236126;/fileinfo.html

Wingfoot (Full suite 130MB)

http://files.filefront.com/Pax+PCI+XFI+OS+V625rar/;12236605;/fileinfo.html

Simply put I'm pissed.

I have never before been so baffled by the complete and utter failure of a company to support a product. Creative is by far the worst instance of a PC hardware (or any product) company on the market. After reading their forums its clear that there are multitudes of very upset customers.

- Creative "tech support" allegedly has a basic subscription fee.

- Their drivers have to be fixed by users.

- Several posts referring to the Audigy 2 series cards have the technicians at Creative suggesting that the customer purchase a newer card because they don't support them anymore.

I for one, will never purchase a Creative product again nor will I be recommending one at any time in the future. Thank you for posting about these drivers and clue-ing me in on a crap company.

Simply put I'm pissed.

I have never before been so baffled by the complete and utter failure of a company to support a product. Creative is by far the worst instance of a PC hardware (or any product) company on the market. After reading their forums its clear that there are multitudes of very upset customers.

- Creative "tech support" allegedly has a basic subscription fee.

- Their drivers have to be fixed by users.

- Several posts referring to the Audigy 2 series cards have the technicians at Creative suggesting that the customer purchase a newer card because they don't support them anymore.

I for one, will never purchase a Creative product again nor will I be recommending one at any time in the future. Thank you for posting about these drivers and clue-ing me in on a crap company.

THIS

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0