Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

129 bugs

135 posts in this topic

It's a mac bug I think, MARTINI hadn't seen it before, and neither of us understand how a bum particle can even get in the system, it might be a memory overwrite that simply isn't damaging anything on the PC version so it isn't found.

It's a mac bug I think' date=' MARTINI hadn't seen it before, and neither of us understand how a bum particle can even get in the system, it might be a memory overwrite that simply isn't damaging anything on the PC version so it isn't found.[/quote']

Does the crash log tell you what type of particle? Or is it just a generic particle used for all effects?

I gather the main particle effect is used for explosions, what are the other ways particles are used?

Just asking to try help us notice what might be triggering it. It seems to occur to me in big busy fights unfortunately.

Ahwulf et al,

Have you guys come across a strange 'bug' whereby the addition of memory prevents the game from starting ?

I'm running a dual 2.66 MacPro. I had 2 gigs of ram and added 4 gigs. Everything else I run is fine including other games.

WWiiOL gives me the opening screen (play online, training server, password etc) and when I click on 'Play online' the screen goes black and stays black.

I have sent repeated notes to CRS for some insight into the problem but have gotten nothing from them except to say they had handed it over to 'the Mac people'.

I've been out of game since last Thursday as a result of this.

Any ideas folks ?

Thanking you in advance,

Bodach S!

Hmm I am the mac people lol. Usually black screen is video settings. Make sure you have millions set, pick a display setting for your mac and make sure its exactly the same in the settings (you might have to relaunch after using settings, due to the language bug). Black screen == opengl can't find a display mode it can deal with. What video card is in there? Is this a brand new one?

Sometimes you might have to trash wwiiol.xml (in library/preferences/wwiiol) first but try the settings changes first.

If you have a mac issue just post it here, beats the middleman.

Thanks for the speedy reply Ahwulf. I was getting somewhat annoyed that CRS had not gotten back to me after several days.

Here's what I've got - everything was fine until the 4 gig memory addition.

I put the one thing that sticks out below in bold and underlined......

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Name: NVDA,Display-B

Type: display

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-4

Vendor ID: 0x10de

Device ID: 0x0393

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x0000

Subsystem ID: 0x0010

ROM Revision: 3008

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Link Width: x8

I have a second card (I sometimes use a second screen)

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Name: NVDA,Display-B

Type: display

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-1

Vendor ID: 0x10de

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x0000

Subsystem ID: 0x0010

Link Width: x16

Under graphic displays -

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-4

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Displays:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

Check in the launcher settings which monitor is picked. It might be drawing to the wrong one. I have two monitors hooked up to my x800 and picked 1 (Main Display). If you have a video card which has no monitor and its chosen by the game, you would of course see nothing.

Opening the settings and clicking on ok has had a positive affect.

The game started up, went to load screen and as the loading bar filled the game elements were all like this as they loaded ?trees?

When I got to the choose persona, all the instructions were also bookended by question marks as were all the other UI items on the subsequent pages.

I got in game and could not do anything.

I replaced the wwiiol.xml file I had trashed with the original and I then got into the game and could move but boy is it super laggy - way worse than I normally experienced previously.

All very strange..........

Bodach S!

?odd.stuff? is a bug to fixed in 1.30. It only happens if you run settings and then go online. Quit after running settings (and hitting OK) then start again to log into game without doing settings.

Laggy... hmmm. Did you install the game on this box or copy it from an older mac? Running a PPC version on an Intel box could do it. Have you tried a new install?

If its not that (and not likely) where did you get the RAM modules from and where are they installed? Those octomonsters are *very* picky about what slots they have ram in and the specs of the modules.

I'm getting invisible walls on buildings on my MBP. It's as though the normals are inverted.

Turn off normal maps (in game settings). Do you have Intel video? That's not supported in the game (I think MB were the only ones but best to check).

I really appreciate your input on this Ahwulf S!

I got the dimms from OWC and as such they should be all correct. I installed them as per instructions and I'm showing 6 gigs of ram in my profile.

What is the 'MB' you refer to ?

I installed onto this machine and it had been running very well for months. I had hoped that more ram would give me that edge in one on one combat or in dogfights. Murphy's law, I guess.

I did not try a new install but it may come to that.

So, it seems that the game 'lost sight' of its designated monitor (probably because I used a digital projector last week - dual monitor decisions for the processor probably left wwiiol in the dark). The reset of the settings as recommended by you got me in game but there is still some anomaly with game speed. I'll try going in game again now and see how it is.

BTW - how come in 7 years of play I have never seen you in game ?????

Bodach S!

Well, I played for more than an hour and as it was high pop, it's difficult to be fully objective - it seems laggy, I do not see the improvement I was hoping for so I guess I should be happy Photoshop etc are running more quickly.

Is this how 'the man' intended it to be ???

Thanks a lot Ahwulf for all your help,

Hope to see you in game,

Bodach S!

I play every day(though often not long), currently i am Axis (switch yearly or so). MB = Macbook. I would try a new install, also try the beta when it comes out. Despite the octocores, the game mostly runs on 1. Not sure why your monster would be slower than a imac.

I'm having similar problems to Petzl's - consistent Mac crashes. Sometimes its before I can even spawn, others its after a brief time in world and still others its after a long time in world. The one consistent thing I have noticed is that the problem is MUCH worse in the afternoon (EDT). It runs pretty smoothly until about noon, then steadily decreases until about 4:00pm, at which point it becomes pretty much unplayable.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09

SMC Version: 1.9f4

Serial Number: W86480HUWRS

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-139

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.139

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

Interestingly enough I have yet to have a crash on my new machine. I have only played a couple hours worth since I resubbed, but enough to know it wont happen often for me.

I did get 70, 80 then 90% packetloss and then had to quit the game since I died (to what I don't know as everyone was floating) and the despawn timer didn't have a time and "ok" was grayed out. But I'm sure that is my ****ty ISP. Great speed, shoddy connection.

Crappy ISP's are something beyond irritating in a constant network connection game. A couple days ago I had to stop playing as Time-Warner-ClownCo couldn't keep up a connection to the game servers 20 miles away.

Scratch my last post about never crashing... lol

I was flying and heard someone with an ea on his 6 so I was mousing over names to see who it was and boom, insta game freeze, no sound, HD makes some noise and there's my desktop. Must have been the 10 character name bug. Why can't people be content with 8. Should have known too as he was a green tag.

Sucks too because I just rearmed after getting 2 kills and was on my way back.

Crappy ISP's are something beyond irritating in a constant network connection game. A couple days ago I had to stop playing as Time-Warner-ClownCo couldn't keep up a connection to the game servers 20 miles away.

I've had and heard about nothing but BAD experiences with Time Warner. A couple years ago when I had their service, our connection would totally freeze for about 1-2 minutes time (enough to time out of even the most lenient connections!), and then just start working again. It started occasionally, but grew to happen as often as 2-3 times an hour.

We thought it might just be us, but heard a lot more of the same problem through the rest of our neighborhood. UGH.

Now we're using Verizon DSL for the last 18 months, and I haven't got much complaints, really.

I'm having a serious problem with crashing to desktop when I open my map. It started out only happening every tenth time I opened my map, now it's happening about every 3rd-4th time I open my map. Anyone have any ideas?

This doesn't help - i ctd when I open map without scrolling - unless mouse placement somehow is over a name when it pops up.

Post the crash report log up to and *including* the section "Thread XXX crashed". It bet it says something like FontBBox... which would be the 10 char name bug (which has many potential ways of triggering, not always mouse over name).

:( After downloading and installing latest update on Leopard (10.5.7) the game doesn't load. It just shows a black screen and nothing happens. I'll try to reinstall the whole game and see what happens...

Edit: Doesn't work.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0