• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bloo

Recent Authentication Problem

217 posts in this topic

UPDATE! 4/23/2009

Please try the Open Beta! It contains a new playgate and you can access the live game with it.

But first, UNINSTALL Playgate 1.19 BUILD F if you tried that!

We're sorry for the authentication problem a number of customers are experiencing. We are investigating this issue and attempting to quickly improve PlayGate to help deal with this problem. Oddly, some players are able to resolve the issue in different ways.

Disable PeerGuardian, Macafee or similar active security.

Several players have reported that disabling these restored their access to the game. While computer security is certainly important, some security software is too aggressive for the game. We recommend NOD32, which offers a 30 day trial and does not impact the game.

Use CheckNet to test your firewall settings

Please try running this connection test program: Checknet4. It was written by our host programmer and will tell us if you can connect with our servers, or if there is a firewall issue.

If the test fails, please make sure any firewalls that you may have are allowing access to the game. The game requires access to the following ports:

TCP: 27015-27021

UDP: 27015-27021

We generally recommend not to use Windows Firewall, which can be disabled in your Control Panel (see http://bloo.playnet.com/xp_firewall.htm).

Check your Play Online desktop shortcut properties.

For some players, the Start field of the shortcut properties says:

C:\PROGRA~1\Playnet\Playgate\.

("PROGRA~1") is a concatenation of "Programe Files." If your shortcut shows these, please change it to:

C:\Program Files\Playnet\Playgate\.

Select the Secondary connection in Settings.

Run the Settings program in your \Battleground Europe\ folder. In the Connection field, choose Use Secondary. This will attempt to connect you to the game servers through our alternate ISP.

Flush your DNS.

Close your web browser.

Bring up a DOS prompt this way: Start -> Run -> type "Command" then press Enter.

At the command prompt(>:) type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press Enter.

Then type "ping auth.playnet.com" and press Enter.

You should see this:

"Pinging auth.playnet.com
[66.28.224.240]
with 32 bytes of data:"

and then it should fail beyond that (due to our firewall).

If that address is [66.28.224.240], you should be able to login to the game. If you do not see that number, please let me know.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and continue to work on this issue.

Edited by BLOO

Bloo,

Still unable to log in here.

auth.playnet.com resolves to 66.28.224.240 as it's supposed to.

I can send a traceroute or whatever you need if it will help!

BLOO, After entering "ipconfig/flushdns" @ the command prompt. The reply was: "Your request requires elevation". What the?? Then after entering the ping, yes the address matched. [66.28.224.240] I can log on almost everytime, but it only lasts about 5 minutes before I loss the connection.

We found an issue that appears to have effected some players and believe we have resolved it. Please try the following steps:

Close your web browser.

Bring up a DOS prompt.

Start -> Run -> type "Command" -> press Enter.

At the command prompt >: Type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press enter.

Then: Type "ping auth.playnet.com" and press enter.

You should see this:

"Pinging auth.playnet.com [66.28.224.240] with 32 bytes of data:"

and then it should fail beyond that (due to our firewall).

If that address is [66.28.224.240], you should be able to login to the game.

If you do not see that number, please let me know.

You might also run the Settings program in your /Battleground Europe/ folder and select the Secondary connection, now, especially if your ISP is RoadRunner.

We recommend that you make sure your Windows installations are up-to-date as there have been some issues with DNS exploits that have been addressed by the most recent Windows updates.

thanks for the quick feedback bloo

we love this game and just want to play it..

that's all

:)

late edit - tried everything above, didn't work. Even been rummaging through old threads to see if I could find any hints. No luck. This is a fairly recent problem for me, and as mentioned before, I'm able to connect sometimes, and other times not.

I can't get into the game ' date=' have tried everything.[/quote']

I'll need to try my laptop over the next few days, to see if I can get in..

then I'll know it's a software/hardware issue on my side of the ball

No luck for me. I've been down for 2 days now and unable to get in. I tried the above and got the proper message after pinging yet still won't connect.

Ok, I found something that seems to work...

Instead of launching the game from the start menu, go to Run and enter 'cmd'.

This will bring up the command line. When it's up, type

cd Program Files/Playnet/Playgate/Playgate.exe 1 1

This gets me into the game every time, while using the start menu gives me the 'All Battleground Europe Servers are down' message

Can you right click on the shortcut and do a properties on it and see what the "Start in" is set to? Is it

C:\PROGRA~1\Playnet\Playgate\ ?

Can you try changing it to (including quotes)

"C:\Program Files\Playnet\Playgate\"

and see if that fixes it? I'm wondering if the old format broke due to something in a recent Windows update?

KFS1 - I don't think it is Windows-related. It's doesn't work for me on Linux.

The login screen comes up, but when I click 'login', it gives me the 'servers are down' page. However, if I specify the server, it works just fine

KFS1 - I don't think it is Windows-related

We don't support Linux or running under Wine. If you have the same problem running under Windows then we'll be happy to try and figure out the problem.

Thanks for invistigating CRS.. here is what I come up with

Microsoft Windows DOS

Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\USERS\ERIC>ping auth.playnet.com

Pinging auth.playnet.com [66.28.224.240] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.28.224.240:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 <100% loss>,

C:\USERS\ERIC>

-----

We don't support Linux or running under Wine. If you have the same problem running under Windows then we'll be happy to try and figure out the problem.

All I was pointing out was that the problem wasn't due to recent Windows updates as you mentioned; if that was the case, I shouldn't be experiencing the problem as my platform hasn't changed recently. That is, any recent Windows updates that you suspect have affected Playgate's operation wouldn't have affected me, and yet I am experiencing the same problem as the other players.

I am happy to support myself - I am aware that Linux isn't supported by the Rats. But I don't think this is related to the operating system.

I actually put a good amount of work into trying to figure out how to make your product run well on Linux. In fact, I would really love to see an unofficial Linux-support forum, since I see more and more threads from people who want to make it work...

Thanks for invistigating CRS.. here is what I come up with

Microsoft Windows DOS

Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\USERS\ERIC>ping auth.playnet.com

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 <100% loss>,

C:\USERS\ERIC>

-----

Can you right click on the shortcut and do a properties on it and see what the "Start in" is set to? Is it

"C:\Program Files\Playnet\Playgate\"

and see if that fixes it?

Hi, I am getting the same issues as the above poster.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

D:\Battleground Europe\Playgate>

I tried the last trouble shoot recommended:

and it didn't work.

I am running on Windows XP and unable to login since Saturday. This is getting a little rediculous as my ticket has not been responded to. Any suggestions? Thanks!

A good thought, but it didn't fix it. The thing is I have tried opening it from the Playgate file itself and it does the same thing just like on the shortcut :(

this fixed it for me

i can't get in the game at all, was intermitten before. tried this ipconfig /flushdns thing and nothing happens, a black box flashes for 1/50 second and nothing beyond

still nothing, tried getting in via start, programs, corner rat, play online. then the red playnet box stays up

I'll try to find some time tomorrow to get the teultest/netcheck applications up for download again and see if we can find out where the connection is breaking down.

Until then I don't have any useful suggestions: if you're desperate to get into the game and you don't mind trying an old version of our playgate replacement, you can grab the last good stable build here:

http://web3.wwiionline.com/pg/

The installer does not overwrite your existing playgate (it goes into \program files\crs\playgate\ instead of \program files\playnet\playgate).

- Oliver

I just want to mention that here it's cleared up, for me at least, this evening.

Up until this afternoon, I was unable to log in without specifying a server ("Playgate.exe 1 1"; now Playgate is working normally without specifying a server for the first time in two days.

I dunno what you did, but it works for me!

I'll try to find some time tomorrow to get the teultest/netcheck applications up for download again and see if we can find out where the connection is breaking down.

Until then I don't have any useful suggestions: if you're desperate to get into the game and you don't mind trying an old version of our playgate replacement, you can grab the last good stable build here:

http://web3.wwiionline.com/pg/

The installer does not overwrite your existing playgate (it goes into \program files\crs\playgate\ instead of \program files\playnet\playgate).

- Oliver

authentication worked on the first try for me, around 135 am est. I was able to launch the game like normal. Not sure if you guys did something or not.

:)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0