Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bloo

Recent Authentication Problem

217 posts in this topic

Couldn't connect today - failing authentication.

Problem was caused by me running Peerguardian on my computer, Cognet Communications 66.28.224.240 (and a couple of other related IPs) was blocked by one of the default blacklists. Once spotted, easily fixed; mentioned just in case someone else runs into the same issue.

I keep having issues with the "Unable to connect to Authentication Server." Yesterday seemed to be working after a couple tries, not so lucky today. If someone can tell me how to get into DOS it would help so I can try the above mentioned steps. I do have Vista and realize that CRS does not officially support Vista, but apperently this is not a Vista issue as others are having trouble.

I did try the adding quotes recommendation without success (also noticed that it did not save the quotes even though I hit "apply" when I went back in to look at properties.) I also tried the secondary server suggestion and no luck.

SO if someone could please let me know how to get to DOS prompt from windows, would be helpful., thanks!

Was the above redirect tot he top post supposed to tell me how to bring up the DOS prompt? Because it doesn't. Just says to close web browser and bring up the DOS prompt, which doesn't tell you how to do so. Think basic here, because I am semi literate on computers, but may have forgotten lesson #1 on how to bring up the DOS prompt from Windows.

Was the above redirect tot he top post supposed to tell me how to bring up the DOS prompt? Because it doesn't. Just says to close web browser and bring up the DOS prompt' date=' which doesn't tell you how to do so. [/quote']

The very next line has the steps to bring up the prompt.

Bring up a DOS prompt. (this is the goal)

Start -> Run -> type "Command" -> press Enter. (this is how to reach the goal)

Updating top post to reflect borgfan's discover that Peerguardian was the problem for him.

Sorry, I don't have a Start -> run option in Vista as was easily identifyable in XP. Unless it is just somewhere I can't find? It has a Search where the Run I was used to was on the bottom left of the screen. And when I typed "Start" in the search field, didn't help.

I have found one thing that sems to help though, but might just be coincidental. In the game settings, I have checked and unchecked the SSE executable option and sometimes it seems to get me to login screen. No idea why. Doesn't always work first time, but seems to stop the endless loop of going to the error page within a few tries of gonig back and forth.

Sorry' date=' I don't have a Start -> run option in Vista as was easily identifyable in XP.[/quote']

The "Start" button in Vista is the Windows logo at the bottom left corner of your screen. If you haven't changed it to use the classic start menu, simply type dxdiag in the Start search area, and the icon will be displayed in the menu.

ok I did the dxdiag, but I dont think that is the same as what was mentioned to try, becuase I don't see any ping statistics etc. as originally mentioned. It did report no problems now, but right now I have gotten into game. Tomorrow is another day, always seems to change when I shut down after fiddling with stuff to make it work. Anyway, just hoping to help in the information gathering on this issue.

Can you right click on the shortcut and do a properties on it and see what the "Start in" is set to? Is it

C:\PROGRA~1\Playnet\Playgate\ ?

Can you try changing it to (including quotes)

and see if that fixes it?

Changed it and no..

Alright guys..

this may have been a SNAFU on my side of the ball after all...

McAfee runs automatically for my computer, upon startup. I had to tweak my firewall settings for PLAYGATE, to allow access

lol...

it was being blocked sometimes, and after repeated tries, I was able to connect. It's connecting on every try now. I managed to recreate the situation by going back into McAfee firewall, blocking access, and trying to launch. Got the authentication error message, allowed access, and connected on the next try.

D'oh

!!!

sorry bloo

:P

Alright guys..

this may have been a SNAFU on my side of the ball after all...

McAfee runs automatically for my computer, upon startup. I had to tweak my firewall settings for PLAYGATE, to allow access

lol...

it was being blocked sometimes, and after repeated tries, I was able to connect. It's connecting on every try now. I managed to recreate the situation by going back into McAfee firewall, blocking access, and trying to launch. Got the authentication error message, allowed access, and connected on the next try.

D'oh

!!!

sorry bloo

:P

wait a minute i run mcafee let me try this

McAfee I have also. So me not being that computer literate I did find an area that had "allowed programs" and both Playgate and any WW2 folder had "outbound access only" labeled so I allowed full access and BINGO! First time I tried to connect it worked!

wait a minute i run mcafee let me try this

seriously

if you have McAfee running in your taskbar launch tray, right click on it, select "change settings," click on Internet and Network on the left, and then click on "advanced" under the firewall box. I set playgate to full access, now it works every time I launch. Not sure how that was changed, but if a group of people using McAfee is running into this problem, at the same time, it must have something to do with a recent McA update or 1.29 full install and playgate's firewall status reset.

... if you have McAffee ... http://www.eset.com/ :)

If you are still unable to get Playgate to launch the game, please grab the "checknet" utility and copy & paste the output:

http://ww2.kfs.org/checknet/

Test Starting.

Test 1: Auth Pri -OK- 13ms

Test 2: Main Pri -OK- 13ms

Test 3: Main Alt -OK- 13ms

Test 4: Main PingPri -OK- 13ms

Test 5: Main PingAlt -OK- 12ms

Test 6: Main Chat -OK- 13ms

Test 7: Event Pri -OK- 12ms

Test 8: Event Alt -OK- 13ms

Connection tests completed OK.

Test Starting.

Test 1: Auth Pri -OK- 48ms

Test 2: Main Pri -OK- 3086ms

Test 3: Main Alt -OK- 52ms

Test 4: Main PingPri -OK- 50ms

Test 5: Main PingAlt -OK- 51ms

Test 6: Main Chat -OK- 47ms

Test 7: Event Pri -OK- 53ms

Test 8: Event Alt -OK- 55ms

Ok, if I run this test 10 times, 5 times all hops are ok, and the other 5 randomly have 3000ms stops along the way. I've pinged every IP address I know and I'm not having problems elsewhere. I've followed these threads, did Ip flush, etc..no joy.

seriously

if you have McAfee running in your taskbar launch tray, right click on it, select "change settings," click on Internet and Network on the left, and then click on "advanced" under the firewall box. I set playgate to full access, now it works every time I launch. Not sure how that was changed, but if a group of people using McAfee is running into this problem, at the same time, it must have something to do with a recent McA update or 1.29 full install and playgate's firewall status reset.

Working so far for me.... First try is a go.

Thank you!

I want to play!

Checknet results

Test Starting.

Test 1: Auth Pri -OK- 156ms

Test 2: Main Pri -OK- 156ms

Test 3: Main Alt -OK- 141ms

Test 4: Main PingPri -OK- 156ms

Test 5: Main PingAlt -OK- 156ms

Test 6: Main Chat -OK- 156ms

Test 7: Event Pri -OK- 156ms

Test 8: Event Alt -OK- 140ms

Test Starting.

Test 1: Auth Pri -OK- 125ms

Test 2: Main Pri -OK- 141ms

Test 3: Main Alt -OK- 141ms

Test 4: Main PingPri -OK- 141ms

Test 5: Main PingAlt -OK- 141ms

Test 6: Main Chat -OK- 125ms

Test 7: Event Pri -OK- 125ms

Test 8: Event Alt -OK- 141ms

I disabled McAfee and still can't get in game.

Here's my results:

Test Starting.

Test 1: Auth Pri -OK- 31ms

Test 2: Main Pri -OK- 31ms

Test 3: Main Alt -OK- 31ms

Test 4: Main PingPri -OK- 31ms

Test 5: Main PingAlt -OK- 31ms

Test 6: Main Chat -OK- 31ms

Test 7: Event Pri -OK- 31ms

Test 8: Event Alt -OK- 31ms

edit: Ran program 5-6 times, with same results each time.

Hello.

Thank you for running Checknets. That shows that your firewall is open to connect to our game server.

We are not sure why so many are still unable to reach our authentication server with the game. We would greatly appreciate more information from you in the form of traceroutes so we can investigate if there are an ISP issues contributing to this problem.

To generate a Traceroute, please follow these steps:

1. Go to Start -> Run

2. type "Command" and press "Enter"

3. type "tracert auth.playnet.com"

This should return:

Tracing route to auth.playnet.com [66/28.224.240]over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1     x ms    x ms   x ms  ###.###.###.###  2     y ms    y ms   y ms  ###.###.###.###

And so on.

Once it reaches our firewall, it will start to look like this:

10    *       *      *     something.demarc.playnet.cogent

Don't worry about that.

4. Right-click anywhere in the window and choose Select All.

5. Then Copy.

6. Then Paste into a post here.

Thank you for your help with this.

To generate a Traceroute' date=' please follow these steps:[/b']

1. Go to Start -> Run

2. type "Command" and press "Enter"

3. type "tracert auth.playnet.com"

For Vista users:

1. Click the Start button

2. Type: cmd and hit your Enter key.

3. This should produce a console window (usually white text on a black background with a prompt like C:\Documents and Settings\Yourname>.

4. At the > prompt type: tracert auth.playnet.com

FIXED!!

I disabled McAfee and also tried the other changes here to no avail. I redownloaded the playnet app and WWIIOL, and viola!, it worked. Don't know what that would have done exactly, but it's working now for me.

whats wrong?

Tracing route to auth.playnet.com [66.28.224.240]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.103.128.1

2 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 66-215-0-113.static.lsan.ca.charter.com [66.215.

0.113]

3 11 ms 7 ms 7 ms 97-93-37-41.static.mtpk.ca.charter.com [97.93.37

.41]

4 8 ms 23 ms 18 ms 71-80-190-185.static.lsan.ca.charter.com [71.80.

190.185]

5 10 ms 9 ms 10 ms 66-214-80-118.static.malb.ca.charter.com [66.214

.80.118]

6 13 ms 11 ms 9 ms los-edge-01.inet.qwest.net [208.46.190.193]

7 * 10 ms * los-core-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.32.45]

8 11 ms 10 ms * lap-brdr-03.inet.qwest.net [67.14.22.78]

9 11 ms 9 ms 9 ms te9-3.mpd01.lax05.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.11.

125]

10 11 ms 11 ms 9 ms te4-2.mpd02.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.6.1

89]

11 51 ms 51 ms 53 ms te3-8.mpd02.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.0.2

46]

12 55 ms 50 ms 48 ms te9-3.mpd01.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.25.

97]

13 51 ms 49 ms 51 ms te7-1.ccr02.dfw01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.7.2

50]

14 49 ms 49 ms 51 ms te4-2.ccr01.dfw02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.26.

162]

15 50 ms 49 ms 49 ms Playnet.demarc.cogentco.com [66.28.30.146]

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.