Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caydel

How to Run WWIIOL Flawlessly in Linux

82 posts in this topic

Introduction

Although WWIIOL has only been released for Windows and Mac systems, it runs flawlessly on Linux with the WINE project.

WWIIOL doesn't work well with the default WINE install due to a mouse problem on the menus. In order to fix this, I created a patch which fixes this problem for WWIIOL, although it may have a negative impact on some other games.

Getting Wine with the WWIIOL patch

There are currently two ways to get a version of WINE with this patch. You can either download the source from GIT and apply the patch yourself, or download a version of the source I rolled with the relevant patch already applied.

I would recommend that users without development experience use the pre-patched source, as the other method is not particularily intuitive. Also, both of these will require some command line work and compiling. If you are having trouble compiling

Getting the pre-patched Wine source

I have put together an archive containing the patched version of the wine sourcecode. In order to do this, please follow these steps:

1. Download the pre-patched source (Right-click and Save Link As)

Downloading from GIT and applying the patch

You can also download the source by Git (a source management program). If you know what Git is, I will assume you know how to install it.

1. Download the Wine source
    git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git ~/wine-git

2. Download the patch: Download
  3. Make sure the patch is in your ~/wine-git directory, and enter
    patch -p1 mousepatch.diff

Compiling Wine

One you have the Wine source patched you just need to build it.

1. Make sure GCC is installed
  2. Install Wine's dependencies. There is a list at http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages
  3. Go to ~/wine-git
  4. Run the following commands:
    [brian@localhost wine-git]$ ./configure [brian@localhost wine-git]$ make depend[brian@localhost wine-git]$ make

5. Then switch to your root account, make sure you are in the Wine source folder and enter
    [root@localhost wine-git]$ make install

Now, you should have Wine compiled and installed. Now, you should be able to download WWIIOL:BE and run it as normal.

Issues

I have encountered some minor sound issues running WWIIOL. In some instances some sounds would play (my gun, hatch noises, enemy infantry) but others wouldn't play (my engine noise, other enemy vehicles).

I found that in this case I had to change the Sound mode to 'Software' in the Settings tab. However, I think this may be specific to my hardware as other users haven't had this problem.

Getting Help

If you are having trouble getting this to work right, there are a few ways to get help.

1. IRC - There is a Wine IRC chat channel full of helpful Wine people. Someone there will certainly be able to help you when my instructions fail :P
  2. Wine Forums - You can also try the Wine Forums. Also full of good, helpful people
  3. Post in this thread - If you post in this thread, I will help as time allows. However, I may not be able to help immediately; I will get to it when I can, but it may be the slowest method available.

Conclusion

I will update this post and the pre-patched source as long as time allows and I remain subscribed to the game.

I would like to see a Community Support (Linux) forum here. I know CRS doesn't support Linux, but that's why we call it 'Community' support. At least, it would help those trying to run Linux in Wine.

Tips may be sent via paypal to brian@brianvuyk.com ;)

Edited by alphie

that was too confusing for me lol

installed it normally and i get good fsp but the mouse is a bit dodgy with the mouse fix im using.Can you tell me how to install your mouse fix with a normal install

that was too confusing for me lol

installed it normally and i get good fsp but the mouse is a bit dodgy with the mouse fix im using.Can you tell me how to install your mouse fix with a normal install

In order to apply a code patch, you have to get the source code, apply the patch, and then compile it. Unfortunately, there is no way to apply a patch to a 'regular' install of Wine.

However, if you want to see better support for WWIIOL in Wine, create an account at the Wine Bug Tracker, and vote on these bugs:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6971

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16052

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16054

That alone would go a good way to helping!

Thanks for the post.

CRS does not provide any official support for users attempting to play under any operating system other than Microsoft Windows versions XP or later, nor for players running under emulation or virtualisation.

Please, especially, be aware that a misconfigured environment may result in unusual client behavior leading to a permanent, lifetime ban: So we strongly discourage users from running other than under a bonafide, supported operating system.

But, personally, I wish good luck to those of you who get WINE working :)

- Oliver

fixed the mouse problem.I also changed the compatibility to windows 2003 and also in the wine configuration menu i turned on driver emulation and also ticked the driver emulation box(For sound). I'm now getting a steady 50-60 fps as infantry and 30 fps when i fly. It doesn't seem to like when i turn on my engine but after the initial fps drop its back up to 30.

fixed the mouse problem.I also changed the compatibility to windows 2003 and also in the wine configuration menu i turned on driver emulation and also ticked the driver emulation box(For sound). I'm now getting a steady 50-60 fps as infantry and 30 fps when i fly. It doesn't seem to like when i turn on my engine but after the initial fps drop its back up to 30.

Yes. That is the problem described in one of the bug reports that caydel posted. It makes the game pretty much unplayable for me, as this drops also occur when I cut the throttle.

If you have an ati card and you experience flickering when you run ww2ol right click on your desktop and disable visual effects

I'm a Linux newb and it took me a long time, and a lot of additional reading, to figure out how to follow your instructions. I used DOS back in the day so the whole concept of a command line isn't totally foreign to me, but I had to figure out what the syntax for Linux was.

The one thing i want to mention is that when i ran the 'compile' command I got a 'command not found' error.

After reading the Wine 'readme' I replaced 'compile' with './configure' and everything worked thereafter.

Compiling Wine

1. Run the following commands:
    [brian@localhost wine-git]$ compile [brian@localhost wine-git]$ make depend[brian@localhost wine-git]$ make

2. Then switch to your root account, make sure you are in the Wine source folder and enter
    [root@localhost wine-git]$ make install

I also had a lot of trouble figuring out how to install the wine dependencies from the shell script until I found the 'CHMOD 777' command.

Damm, I've just realized I've 'make'd the unpatched version of wine! Doh! Back we go to the start!

Ok, I downloaded the pre patched version and am now 'making' it, it's taking a looooong time

It's probably also worth mentioning that if you apply the patch yourself the terminal appears to pause/freeze for quite a while while it does it. I closed the terminal down twice 'cos I'm so used to the WinXP progress bar and the lack of obvious activity freaked me out... sad!

Oops - 'compile' was a mistake on my part. I meant 'configure' - thanks for catching that. I would add that to the original post, except BLOO seems to have edited it, so I can no longer edit it...

You should never use 'chmod 777' on a file except in special circumstances. When would you have used it to install the dependencies? Your distribution's package repositories should have all the depencies in it!

I'm a Linux newb and it too me a long time, and a lot of additional reading, to figure out how to follow your instructions.

The one thing i want to mention is that when i ran the 'compile' command I got a 'command not found' error.

After reading a lot I replaced 'compile' with './configure' and everything worked thereafter.

I also had a lot of trouble figuring out how to install the wine dependencies until I found the 'CHMOD 777' command.

Damm, I've just realized I've 'make installed' the unpatched version of wine! Doh! Back we go to the start!

You should never use 'chmod 777' on a file except in special circumstances. When would you have used it to install the dependencies? Your distribution's package repositories should have all the depencies in it!

They probably do, but; A) I didn't know that, and B) how on earth do I use a repository to install them, especially if I'm trying to install a patched version of the program and thus can't use my package manager to install it (and them) for me? Obviously I can figure it out given enough time (and Google) but given that i didn't know they existed there I didn't know to try to do it!

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY appreciate your post, and you're patch is great. It's just that if Linux (even Ubuntu) is ever to be more more widely accepted/used you gurus gotta dumb things down a whole lot more... at least at first anyway. I mean I've used a (very primitive, very basic) command line before, but for your average PC user who grew up on Windows GUIs they're a really scaring/confusing thing and people simply aren't going to migrate to Linux if they have to resort to a command line. I've installed Linux, in one flavour or another, ~8 times now, and each-and-every time I've had to resort to the command line to getting it running (even with Ubuntu 8.1). The idea that my aged parents (or even most of my, college, students for that matter) would go to that extreme to get their computer running is simply laughable.

At one point I started writing a Linux-noobs guide to getting WWIIOL running under Ubuntu but I realized that I'd tried so many different things that I couldn't remember what had worked and what hadn't!

Oh well, at least WWIIOL is working, now 'just' to get Ubuntu to recognise my TV tuner card and I might even be able to finally wipe Windows of my machine.

I wonder if you could run WWIIOL on a PS3 using Linux. If you didn't know the PS3 can be loaded with Linux I haven't done it since I have the very small hard drive for the PS3 even though any laptop hard drive will work in the PS3. I believe there wouldn't be enough RAM on the PS3 though.

I think I read another post about this a while ago, and posted a link there referring to a post on the Wine mailing list where it mentions that Wine requires x86 architecture to run; that is, it can only be used on regular desktop computers.

If Wine can't be made to run, WWIIOL can't be made to run either, since it depends on Wine.

I wonder if you could run WWIIOL on a PS3 using Linux. If you didn't know the PS3 can be loaded with Linux I haven't done it since I have the very small hard drive for the PS3 even though any laptop hard drive will work in the PS3. I believe there wouldn't be enough RAM on the PS3 though.

I think I read another post about this a while ago, and posted a link there referring to a post on the Wine mailing list where it mentions that Wine requires x86 architecture to run; that is, it can only be used on regular desktop computers.

If Wine can't be made to run, WWIIOL can't be made to run either, since it depends on Wine.

Apparently you can run Windows XP on a PS3 rather slowly but you can run it on a PS3.

G-Ecr8tWetI

thanks for the forum post Caydel! and the wiki before that. I tried you're patched 1.1.15 sources with great success (at least in offline mode). My problem is that in online mode wine just ignores my keyboard input, whereas in offline mode it works just fine. I'm using ubuntu at the moment to try and get this going, so I added the wine repo to my /etc/apt/sources.list and upgraded to wine 1.1.16, mouse pointer works just fine, but the keyboard is still being ignored in online mode. Any suggestions? What distro are you guys using?

thanks for the forum post Caydel! and the wiki before that. I tried you're patched 1.1.15 sources with great success (at least in offline mode). My problem is that in online mode wine just ignores my keyboard input' date=' whereas in offline mode it works just fine. I'm using ubuntu at the moment to try and get this going, so I added the wine repo to my /etc/apt/sources.list and upgraded to wine 1.1.16, mouse pointer works just fine, but the keyboard is still being ignored in online mode. Any suggestions? What distro are you guys using?[/quote']

Hmm. That's a new one. It should have something to do with the fact that in online mode, ww2.exe is not run directly. Are you using desktop emulation?

I am using Ubuntu, however the game does not seem to work at the moment, after switching the machine to 64bit mode.

thanks for the forum post Caydel! and the wiki before that. I tried you're patched 1.1.15 sources with great success (at least in offline mode). My problem is that in online mode wine just ignores my keyboard input' date=' whereas in offline mode it works just fine. I'm using ubuntu at the moment to try and get this going, so I added the wine repo to my /etc/apt/sources.list and upgraded to wine 1.1.16, mouse pointer works just fine, but the keyboard is still being ignored in online mode. Any suggestions? What distro are you guys using?[/quote']

I assume you are the one who posted to the Wine bug tracker :P

Anyways, I just played using the newest sources (Wine 1.1.17) and it worked well, as it has for me for every release before that.

I did have a problem similar to what you mentioned using Ubuntu 7.04 or 7.10, but it resolved itself without me changing anything at the time - I don't think it was Wine-related.

I would suggest trying it with a different window manager. I generally use XFCE and LXDE for gaming as it frees up more resources for the game as opposed to running something heavier like Gnome.

Also, consider turning of compositing and other heavy features.

I will keep this in the back of my head, and let you know if I can think of anything else!

Yep that's me on the bug tracker. Thought maybe the wine guys would have the most knowledge. But this thread seems pretty active. If I get it solved I'll definitely post my solution in both places as well. Anyhow is everyone still using Windows 2000 under winecfg? I've been playing around with 1.1.16 and the Vista and 2008 modes seems to work fine in offline mode, no keyboard still in online mode. Is there a linux squad?

You know I am going to try something else like fluxbox now that you say that. Don't know why I haven't yet actually. EDIT: bah it says the servers are down, guess I'll try again later.

*IDIOT ALERT*

Now, I have to apologize - this should have been in the original post. I dunno why I omitted it.

Running WWIIOL using compatibility for different versions of Wine gives some strange input bugs.

For instance, if using Wine's Windows XP compatibility (I think, may be thinking of the wrong version), the mouse works like normal in the menus, but forces a recenter while actually in-game.

Using Windows 2003 compatibility, the mouse is broken in the menus without the patch mentioned in the first post. However, it works fine in-game.

You should be running WWIIOL using the Windows 2003 compatibility in conjunction with the patch mentioned in the first post for best results.

The compatibility can be selected by running 'winecfg', and looking for the 'Windows Version' dropdown box.

Please give this a try, and let me know if it helps resolve things.

Yep that's me on the bug tracker. Thought maybe the wine guys would have the most knowledge. But this thread seems pretty active. If I get it solved I'll definitely post my solution in both places as well. Anyhow is everyone still using Windows 2000 under winecfg? I've been playing around with 1.1.16 and the Vista and 2008 modes seems to work fine in offline mode, no keyboard still in online mode. Is there a linux squad?

You know I am going to try something else like fluxbox now that you say that. Don't know why I haven't yet actually. EDIT: bah it says the servers are down, guess I'll try again later.

Ya windows 2003 works great, funny thing is upon trying fluxbox (and openbox) it seems that wine can only connect to the server in Gnome. For example when I choose the menu item under wine (Play wwII online, or something like that) the game loads connects to server, will even let me spawn, but I just can't use keyboard input. Under fluxbox and open box I've been pulling out a terminal and doing this:

cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Playnet/Playgate/ wine PlayGate.exe 

I get the EULA and login box, I click agree then it dumps me to a battlegroundeurope.com page claiming " All Battleground Europe game servers are down. " but I just joined successfully in Gnome, so I know it's actually up. Maybe the menu item is doing something extra special? Any command line tips? For example how do I get to offline mode using the commandline only?

Ya windows 2003 works great, funny thing is upon trying fluxbox (and openbox) it seems that wine can only connect to the server in Gnome. For example when I choose the menu item under wine (Play wwII online, or something like that) the game loads connects to server, will even let me spawn, but I just can't use keyboard input. Under fluxbox and open box I've been pulling out a terminal and doing this:
cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Playnet/Playgate/

wine PlayGate.exe

I get the EULA and login box, I click agree then it dumps me to a battlegroundeurope.com page claiming " All Battleground Europe game servers are down. " but I just joined successfully in Gnome, so I know it's actually up. Maybe the menu item is doing something extra special? Any command line tips? For example how do I get to offline mode using the commandline only?

Yeah - I believe you need to pass an argument to it:

wine PlayGate.exe 1 1

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0