Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caydel

How to Run WWIIOL Flawlessly in Linux

82 posts in this topic

Okay so it does give a different error on output:

wine PlayGate.exe 1 1fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixerfixme:win:SetDebugErrorLevel (7): stubfixme:win:SetDebugErrorLevel (6): stubbob@ubuntustudio:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Playnet/Playgate$ fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixerfile:///etc/xml/catalog:1: parser error : Document is empty
^file:///etc/xml/catalog:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
^fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f4bc,0x00000000), stub!

Versus what I was doing:

$ wine PlayGate.exe fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixerfixme:win:SetDebugErrorLevel (7): stubfixme:win:SetDebugErrorLevel (6): stub

And the first one definitely seem to be complaining about not seeing a 1 document, maybe it's another set of args? I think I might try something a bit more DIY out like gentoo, slackware or arch.

Okay so it does give a different error on output:
wine PlayGate.exe 1 1

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer

fixme:win:SetDebugErrorLevel (7): stub

fixme:win:SetDebugErrorLevel (6): stub

bob@ubuntustudio:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Playnet/Playgate$ fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100

fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer

file:///etc/xml/catalog:1: parser error : Document is empty

^

file:///etc/xml/catalog:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found

^

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f4bc,0x00000000), stub!

Versus what I was doing:

$ wine PlayGate.exe 

fixme:win:SetDebugErrorLevel (7): stub

fixme:win:SetDebugErrorLevel (6): stub

And the first one definitely seem to be complaining about not seeing a 1 document, maybe it's another set of args? I think I might try something a bit more DIY out like gentoo, slackware or arch.

It would appear that PlayGATE is launching correctly, the parser error stuff is a issue with ww2.exe, see this thread for more details: http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=255894

Ok, so I decided to go with your recommendation of XFCE, same behavior as fluxbox. So I go back to gnome but find it now broken in there as well. Not to be put off I try tinkering with winecfg, with no effect. Then I tried reinstalling the update with a

wine wwiiol12911293.exe 

Back up and running! But with pointer problems, remembering I jacked with winecfg earlier, I switch it to 2003, but no patches installed (using the wine 1.1.16 from the repos). So I try 2008, and the pointer problems were gone and I can use my keyboard without the patches. Don't know why but reinstalling the 12911293 update seems to cure some problem with switching window managers (or something else entirely I'm overlooking). So success on all fronts (except for a crash, I think it was the video card though (ATI HD3650), it does the same thing in windows, so I can deal with that) High end frame rates seem to be about the same between windows and linux, but when things get bogged down with lots of activity on the screen linux seems to run faster (32-bit linux and 32-bit XP), I'll try 64-bit when I get my gentoo partition setup.

for reference my setup is:

ubuntu 810 with xfce

wine 1.1.16 using windows 2008 mode

ATI HD3650

fglrx 8.573

AMD dual-core 64-bit at 2.7Ghz apiece

4 gigs of ram

gigabyte mobo ga-47m something like that ;)

Good to see you got it running - seems you ran into more trouble than I typically do...

Brian

Ok, so I decided to go with your recommendation of XFCE, same behavior as fluxbox. So I go back to gnome but find it now broken in there as well. Not to be put off I try tinkering with winecfg, with no effect. Then I tried reinstalling the update with a
wine wwiiol12911293.exe 

Back up and running! But with pointer problems, remembering I jacked with winecfg earlier, I switch it to 2003, but no patches installed (using the wine 1.1.16 from the repos). So I try 2008, and the pointer problems were gone and I can use my keyboard without the patches. Don't know why but reinstalling the 12911293 update seems to cure some problem with switching window managers (or something else entirely I'm overlooking). So success on all fronts (except for a crash, I think it was the video card though (ATI HD3650), it does the same thing in windows, so I can deal with that) High end frame rates seem to be about the same between windows and linux, but when things get bogged down with lots of activity on the screen linux seems to run faster (32-bit linux and 32-bit XP), I'll try 64-bit when I get my gentoo partition setup.

for reference my setup is:

ubuntu 810 with xfce

wine 1.1.16 using windows 2008 mode

ATI HD3650

fglrx 8.573

AMD dual-core 64-bit at 2.7Ghz apiece

4 gigs of ram

gigabyte mobo ga-47m something like that ;)

Argh. ok. the source changed for mouse.c in the newer wine versions; the patch you did is now

obsolete... =:^(

I have a build of 1.0.1 running, but 1.1.23 is completely different. If you have an X64 build of that dinput

DLL can I get a copy of the binary?

I'm also looking forward eagerly to see any progress with it. As a long time Linux user, BE is the ONLY reason I keep Windows partition on my PC.

I do all the other works from home and office with the Ubuntu partition. It really feels bad when you have to purchase Windows license just because of a single game - a great one though :)

Good to see you got it running - seems you ran into more trouble than I typically do...

Anyone else having problems running Settings.exe?

Erik

I'll be working on this again in a week or so. I am getting a new video card for my system, and just resubscribed in anticipation after some months away...

No but I plan to get a new mean desktop and I will try to go with a Linux-only version initially. I had some trouble with wine upon switching to 64-bit Debian. It turned out that nvidia-installer puts the 32bit opengl compatibility libraries in a wrong directory but that took me very long to find out.

See this thread for the current status, and patched code which *should* run the game near-perfectly:

http://forums.battlegroundeurope.com/showthread.php?t=294325

Looks like the fix for the broken settings tab is fixed in the latest wine code leaving the mouse issue once again the only thing preventing WWIIOL from running perfectly in Wine. Luckily, we have a patch which will fix the mouse issue for WWIIOL if you are willing to compile Wine yourself.

Edited by caydel

Hi Everyone,

I have been able to compile wine1.2 version 1.1.35 in Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 and run it successfully. Everything appears to work except after a while I run out of memory and the system crashes with a memory heap error. This usually happens after a couple of hours. It would probably run longer but I do not run a swap partition and I also use about 800 GB of Ram to run a ramdisk for the game. The system gets about 100-130 fps in offline mode and about 60-80 fps in online except for the normal degradation in big battles.

Here is my current hardware setup:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz

Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600

GPU: Nvidia 250 GTS

Disk: 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s

I built Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 on a new partition using the Ubuntu mini.iso network installer for AMD64. I then loaded openbox and lxde with suto apt-get install lxde. After lxde was up and running I also added the latest Nvidia drivers for xorg, compiler tools and the build-dep for wine. Next I compiled wine with the mouse patch, set 2003 emulation with winecfg and also set the audio to emulation in winecfg. The next step was just to install wiionline.

Here is a script I wrote called ww2.sh that I use to start wwiionline after ww2 is installed and running. It allows me to run offline or online, run wine on a dedication core and also run from ramdisk.

ww2.sh yes yes yes

%1 = online

%2 = dedicated cpu

%3 = ramdisk

- Dukejer

ww2.sh

#!/bin/bash

ONLINE=${1}

MULTICORE=${2}

RAMDISK=${3}

MOUNTDIR="/mnt/wwiionline"

WINEDIR=".wine"

WINEHOME="/home/${USER}/${WINEDIR}"

WW2PATH='/drive_c/Program Files/CRS/Battleground Europe'

WINEDEBUG="-all"

export WINEDEBUG

test ${RAMDISK} = "yes" && {

echo "Ramdisk will be enabled."

sudo test -d ${MOUNTDIR} || {

echo "Creating ${MOUNTDIR} mount point."

sudo mkdir ${MOUNTDIR}

}

echo "Setting ${MOUNTDIR} ownership."

sudo chown ${USER} ${MOUNTDIR}

sudo test `grep -c ${MOUNTDIR} /etc/mtab` -ne 0 || {

echo "Mounting ramdisk to ${MOUNTDIR}"

sudo mount -t tmpfs none ${MOUNTDIR}

}

sudo test -d ${MOUNTDIR}/${WINEDIR} || {

echo "Copying wwiionline to ramdisk."

sudo cp -a ${WINEHOME} ${MOUNTDIR}

}

cd "${MOUNTDIR}/${WINEDIR}${WW2PATH}"

pwd

} || {

cd "${WINEHOME}${WW2PATH}"

pwd

}

echo "Turning off keyrepeat."

xset r off

test ${ONLINE} = "yes" && {

WW2COMMAND="wine playgate.exe"

} ||

{

WW2COMMAND="wine ww2.exe"

}

test ${MULTICORE} = "yes" && {

CPUCOMMAND="taskset -c 1"

} ||

{

CPUCOMMAND=""

}

echo "Starting wwiionline."

${CPUCOMMAND} ${WW2COMMAND}

Edited by dukejer

Is there any advantage in running the game on a dedicated core? It's running as-is on my Q8200/4GB MintKDE/Wine quite nicely, no complex scripts needed (except for turning off key repeat).

Is there any advantage in running the game on a dedicated core? It's running as-is on my Q8200/4GB MintKDE/Wine quite nicely' date=' no complex scripts needed (except for turning off key repeat).[/quote']

Is the mouse working correctly on native wine? If so, what version do you have?

I use latest Wine. The mouse still doesn't work, so each update I replace the bad dinput.dll.so with a patched one I compiled.

FWIW: I ran the offline 1.31 beta under wine a while ago and ran the benchmarks. It didn't crash :)

Erik

FWIW: I ran the offline 1.31 beta under wine a while ago and ran the benchmarks. It didn't crash :)

Erik

I ran the beta online and It worked OK. FPS was a bit low but my new i7-860 will hopefully take care of this.

http://wwiiolinux.sourceforge.net/

This brings back memories. I had carried this flag, probably, 5 years ago. Glad to see someone is still keeping it alive in linux.

BTW, that link is OLD and I don't any of that works any more.

Not anymore I'm afraid. Since the release of 1.31 the joystick isn't recognized anymore. I had to reinstall Windows :(

Just an update, the next round of distro releases (eg, Ubuntu 10.10, Fedora 13 etc) are all going to ship with Xorg 1.8, which has the new XInput2 support.

This is important, because this provides relative mouse motion information. There are already patches being put together for Wine which use this to fix the mouse issue with WWIIOL (along with other games).

So, in a few months, we should have a version of Wine that supports WWIIOL natively without any source hacks.

Of course, joysticks, TrackIR and other 'extras' may or may not work. Your mileage may vary...).

Just tried with Wine in Ubuntu 10.4 and the game loaded just fine, sond working and all, the problem was that the mouse pointer jumped back to center no matter what I did. Haven't tried any different settings so I might be able to fix this myself but if anyone knows the solution to this it'll be quicker.

Just tried with Wine in Ubuntu 10.4 and the game loaded just fine' date=' sond working and all, the problem was that the mouse pointer jumped back to center no matter what I did. Haven't tried any different settings so I might be able to fix this myself but if anyone knows the solution to this it'll be quicker.[/quote']

I have a patched dinput.dll.so that solves the mouse problem, I can post it to you.

Did you try using the joystick? Mine stopped working completely on 1.3.1.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0