• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caydel

How to Run WWIIOL Flawlessly in Linux

82 posts in this topic

Just tried with Wine in Ubuntu 10.4 and the game loaded just fine' date=' sond working and all, the problem was that the mouse pointer jumped back to center no matter what I did. Haven't tried any different settings so I might be able to fix this myself but if anyone knows the solution to this it'll be quicker.[/quote']

munchkin:

That is a known issue, which is what I was referring to as 'the mouse issue' in the post previous to yours.

Here is a link to the bug report in Wine's bug database:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6971

This short little patch, which I wrote, does fix it in this game, although the patch isn't acceptable to go into the mainline wine code:

http://bugs2.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=15638

I imagine yoav's patched dinput.dll has a somewhat similar solution.

In the meantime, they are coming up with a 'proper' patch based on the new XInput2 code which will be shipped with the next versions of Ubuntu & Fedora. By October, WWIIOL will be fully supported in Wine, as far as I can tell.

Can't wait to try it in Ubuntu.

I only have one problem, I have no sound output from Ubuntu on the last two computer builds. Both on Gigabyte mboards with onboard sound. Does Ubuntu require a dedicated sound card??? This happened with v9 and now v10.

I only have one problem, I have no sound output from Ubuntu on the last two computer builds. Both on Gigabyte mboards with onboard sound. Does Ubuntu require a dedicated sound card??? This happened with v9 and now v10.

Had that too. Could be related to this: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23588

Had that too. Could be related to this: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23588

Thanks for the link.

I don't think that is my problem. I have not installed Wine yet.

I'm sure there must be a simple fix but I haven't chased it down yet. I won't need sound until BE can play on Ubuntu.

Sound used to work on v9 but stopped after one of the updates ran. Didn't pay it much attention since 10 was due out soon but now that 10 doesn't work either (and on a completely different computer) I will have to post on the ubuntu forums.

Thanks for the link.

I don't think that is my problem. I have not installed Wine yet.

I'm sure there must be a simple fix but I haven't chased it down yet. I won't need sound until BE can play on Ubuntu.

Sound used to work on v9 but stopped after one of the updates ran. Didn't pay it much attention since 10 was due out soon but now that 10 doesn't work either (and on a completely different computer) I will have to post on the ubuntu forums.

That is strange. I have a gigabyte MB (GA-P55-US3L) and sound works out of the box.

That is strange. I have a gigabyte MB (GA-P55-US3L) and sound works out of the box.

Very strange. Neither of these works with onboard sound (haven't tried a sound card yet, no hurry for now). Both work fine with XP32 and Win7-64.

GA-G31-ES2L

and

P55A-UD3

Can anyone provide me with the dinput.dll.so file and with basic instructions on how to get it working with wine? I tried using one I downloaded off the Internet . I logged in as root and replaced the current one I had in my /lib32/wine folder with the one I downloaded but it did not work.

I'm running 64 bit so I don't really want to go through getting 32 bit to compile on a 64 bit system. That's why I'd rather not use the patch. Unless, of course, there is a easy way to do so.

EDIT: Nvm, just gonna switch to 32bit Linux. All these compatibility issues aren't worth the hassle for me. I only have 4gb of RAM anyways so 64bit wasn't exactly going to do that much for me anyways.

Thanks for the guide. I look forward to setting everything up later today.

Edited by ireirish

Not anymore I'm afraid. Since the release of 1.31 the joystick isn't recognized anymore. I had to reinstall Windows :(

Are you sure it is related to the 1.30 -> 1.31 upgrade? The problem I saw was that the joystick devices are by default set to give normal users no access (when the default in older ubuntu releases was access for anyone). Once I changed permissions my joystick/rudder pedals worked fine if I recall correctly. Can't doublecheck atm since I'm 3000 miles away from home.

Erik

This was suggested to me as a way to compile wine faster if your processor can handle it. It seems to lower the time needed to compile.

./configuremake dependmake -j10

This was suggested to me as a way to compile wine faster if your processor can handle it. It seems to lower the time needed to compile.
./configure

make depend

make -j10

Normally only 1 thing is being worked on at a time, with -j10 you instruct make that it may do up to 10 things concurrently (when possible). Eg, multiple files can be compiled at the same time. Your disk IO might be the bottleneck though, so individual compiles get slowed down, but throughput increases (which results in the overall make taking less time). You probably don't want to set jobs to high, keep an eye on memory, if you start swapping your speedup could disappear.

Erik

Normally only 1 thing is being worked on at a time, with -j10 you instruct make that it may do up to 10 things concurrently (when possible). Eg, multiple files can be compiled at the same time. Your disk IO might be the bottleneck though, so individual compiles get slowed down, but throughput increases (which results in the overall make taking less time). You probably don't want to set jobs to high, keep an eye on memory, if you start swapping your speedup could disappear.

Erik

As a rule of thumb, you want to compile with twice the number of the running cores. More will not bring any performance increase. So with a quad core processor you'd run make -j 8.

Just an FYI

Very simple fix to my problem. Sometime during an upgrade of Ubuntu 9 and also a feature of Ubuntu 10, leaving the audio output to analog stereo stopped working. All I needed to do was select something other than stereo. I used 5.1 and all is fine now.

As a rule of thumb' date=' you want to compile with twice the number of the running cores. More will not bring any performance increase. So with a quad core processor you'd run make -j 8.[/quote']

My daytime job involves extensive measuring of performance related metrics and reporting on it, so it is hard to resist not go through j 1,2,....,N and plotting a graph etc

test setup: core i5-750/$G memory/plain SATA2 drive

reboot (make sure disk caches are clear)

./configure (to make sure theres some actual work to be done)

time make

make : 21 min

make -j8 : 5 min

Erik

Is the OP guide still valid for let's say Ubuntu 10 64bit?

Thinking of trying it out on my Ubuntu 10 machine and see if it could work for a 2nd account.

I haven't been able to make it run in Ubuntu 10.4. It just exits, but that could be driver-related somehow. Haven't tried in a few months so I might try again before 10.10 is released.

Is the OP guide still valid for let's say Ubuntu 10 64bit?

Thinking of trying it out on my Ubuntu 10 machine and see if it could work for a 2nd account.

It runs fine on my ububtu 64 with sound and all, but the joystick doesn't work at all since 1.32 release.

It runs fine on my ububtu 64 with sound and all' date=' but the joystick doesn't work at all since 1.32 release.[/quote']

Might be a bug in Wine. tried ubuntu 10.10 (beta) and wine 1.3.3.xxx

Debug looks reasonable (joystick is detected). It just looks like actual input isn't detected.

Erik

I have downloaded latest srouce with git and i'm trying to apply th e mouse patch now. Is "patch -p1 mousepatch.diff" supposed to take forever with no output/feedback at all?

The patch command did not work for some reason for me so I just located the file that was changed and replaced the line of code.

Compiled fine and got it running on my 64 bit machine.

I have downloaded latest srouce with git and i'm trying to apply th e mouse patch now. Is "patch -p1 mousepatch.diff" supposed to take forever with no output/feedback at all?

you have to run it patch -p1 < mousepatch.diff

patch takes its input from STDIN by default.

I am willing to install & setup a linux rig for wwii but can those that have have claim a performance increase?

I am willing to install & setup a linux rig for wwii but can those that have have claim a performance increase?

Doubtful. If anything it'll most likely be a decrease.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0