• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caydel

How to Run WWIIOL Flawlessly in Linux

82 posts in this topic

I am willing to install & setup a linux rig for wwii but can those that have have claim a performance increase?

If your current hardware is already not performing acceptably, I don't see it improving with wine.

I've never seen anyone report a performance increase. It doesn't even sound reasonable to expect identical performance (given how wine works). Should expect a decrease. If you do find a performance increase you probably should reinstall windows to get rid of the spy and other malware.

Last time I did measure (few years ago) wine got lower fps on average, but it jumped around less. Don't recall exact number, making them up from memory

wine would give me 90-95, with average 92/5

windows would give me 90-120 (with average 100).

I would rather have consistent good 60-70 fps than average 80 fps with occasional drops below 50.

Erik

I must say I got much better FPS then I expected. I am using lower res monitor but it's mroe then enough for tow duties and such. Sound is a bit borked and laggy but FPS is great.

cool thanks. I wont bother then

I can only speak for myself, but my motivation for trying wine is getting rid of Windows, I only use it for this game, I'd wipe it out in a flash and never look back.

Erik

Debug looks reasonable (joystick is detected). It just looks like actual input isn't detected.

Correction, joystick input _is_ detected and processed. spawn infantry, and move the joystick, it is acting like a mouse. That gives me some other things to try out ...

Erik

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0