Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
c47

So I played wwiiol on a ramdisk

107 posts in this topic

It loaded in less then 5 seconds but it was pretty unstable. Think I'm going to go ahead and buy that gygabyte ramdisk thing. I accidently bought value ram for my new pc and wanted to get some high quality ram to better overclock. I thought that this might be a good investment :)

The program I used was this.

http://www.ramdisk.tk/

Second one on the list. I didn't really have time to mess around and try to get the size higher then a gig but one of you guys can. I just set it for 768mb, installed wwiiol into it, set the settings to reduce textures, etc. Booted wwiiol (5 seconds it took). Then spawned an infantry, grenaded myself then ctd'd. :)

It loaded in less then 5 seconds but it was pretty unstable. Think I'm going to go ahead and buy that gygabyte ramdisk thing. I accidently bought value ram for my new pc and wanted to get some high quality ram to better overclock. I thought that this might be a good investment :)

Second one on the list. I didn't really have time to mess around and try to get the size higher then a gig but one of you guys can. I just set it for 768mb, installed wwiiol into it, set the settings to reduce textures, etc. Booted wwiiol (5 seconds it took). Then spawned an infantry, grenaded myself then ctd'd. :)

What version of it did you use? Enterprise will take upto 64gig but i would have though 4 gig would be enough.

What sort of "instablilty" did you experience? why did you experience it do you think? was it the lack of ram used?

I got my ramdisk at 750mb, formated fat32. The disk is payware called 'RamDisk 8.0', has a free trial.

It has a simple windows interface, easy to use.

The game folder is 630mb. The 750 disk allows me to defrag with 15% free space.

Just dropping the game on the disk should run off-line mode without problem.

For on-line, need to tweak the game's registry entries to change the target over to the new drive, E:.

Merlin51 has an easy utility for that.

I've played with larger sized disks, but over a gig runs into vertual memory issues..., even with 2gigs ram.

You do have 2gigs ram, right?

Remember, pagefile is off too..., the point is no hard drive accessing.

Value ram is just fine..., if it's error free, like any ram.

Try the free trial on the 'RamDisk 8.0' for comparision.

[edit] here's the link,

http://www.superspeed.com/desktop/ramdisk.php

Ratszo

Ok I'm lost' date=' how does this help playing wwiionline? Does it get rid of stutters and FPS problems?[/quote']

When you load up the game what all the stuff is loading from the hard drive to the ram. I went and I put it on a ram disk so it'd be already pre-loaded. I havn't played it in heavy combat but will try that soon. There are several bad things about this though, if the ram looses power everything on it is lost. So everytime you restart/turnoff/power outage, you'll loose the data.

As for ratszo, yes, the pagefile is turned off. I had tried this earlier on the program merlin55 recomended but it required money to go past 64mb.

Frustin, it wasn't really instability, the ctd part I'm betting was being out of memory.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but bear with me for a second...

Essentially, you are taking the program files and placing them on a RAM disk in your CD/DVD drive. How is this advantageous in any way? Access times on a CD/DVD drive are usually quite a bit slower than a standard HD and, for those with SATA or SATAII HD, you are putting it on a drive with lower bandwidth, as most people don't have a SATA or SATAII CD/DVD drive.

Now for some people, I can see how the setup will help those with 1GB of RAM or less with the game installed on the system drive. As the game accesses the HD to pull stuff into RAM and write to the VM on that drive at the same time would cause quite a bit of thrashing. If they were to install the game on a different HD or put their VM on another drive, it would accomplish the same end of using a RAM disk, probably with better performance and certainly less hassle.

It seems to me that the best thing one could do would be to just buy more RAM and shut off VM if you were going to spend money.

Excuse me for my ignorance, but bear with me for a second...

Essentially, you are taking the program files and placing them on a RAM disk in your CD/DVD drive. How is this advantageous in any way? Access times on a CD/DVD drive are usually quite a bit slower than a standard HD and, for those with SATA or SATAII HD, you are putting it on a drive with lower bandwidth, as most people don't have a SATA or SATAII CD/DVD drive.

Now for some people, I can see how the setup will help those with 1GB of RAM or less with the game installed on the system drive. As the game accesses the HD to pull stuff into RAM and write to the VM on that drive at the same time would cause quite a bit of thrashing. If they were to install the game on a different HD or put their VM on another drive, it would accomplish the same end of using a RAM disk, probably with better performance and certainly less hassle.

It seems to me that the best thing one could do would be to just buy more RAM and shut off VM if you were going to spend money.

You got it wrong, the ramdisk is created from a portion of ram --i've got 2gig ram, 750mb. of the ram acts as my E:hard drive.

That leaves 1.25gig ram for normal ram usage.

It's about blinding fast load times --the game runs without using the hard drive.

No hard drive activity; no hard drive stutter.

I've been using it for over a month, and it's stutter free flying.

After curing hard drive stutters, what's left is packet-loss drops.

No packet-loss with no hard drive thrashing is about as smooth as your cpu/gfx card hardware allows.

Ratszo

I really don't have any studders.

ww2ol is basicly entirely loaded onto my video card(s)

but meh frame buffer is bigger then most peoples system ram.

:)

Great info guys!

I just wanted to do a forum search on Ramdisk when i saw this thread.

I am planning to give it a try as i am currently planning my new rig.

What i gather here is:

- With 2GB RAM suitable Ramdisk size is 1GB

- No changes to the game config needed except for the path entries

- No swapfile

Is that correct?

Any further tips?

Thanks.

Vader666

Great info guys!

I just wanted to do a forum search on Ramdisk when i saw this thread.

I am planning to give it a try as i am currently planning my new rig.

What i gather here is:

- With 2GB RAM suitable Ramdisk size is 1GB

- No changes to the game config needed except for the path entries

- No swapfile

Is that correct?

Any further tips?

Thanks.

Vader666

That's about it. Once you got it installed, you'll figure out the best ways to manage things and save changes ingame.

Make a copy of the crs and playgate folders.

Place those folders into a new folder named 'program files'.

Place the new folder into any folder thats easy to access.

I got from desktop >'my computer' > C:drive > folder holding 'program files'.

To load the ramdisk, copy the 'pg' folder. go back to 'my computer' > select the ramdisk and paste it.

Takes 'bout 20 seconds to load.

When making keymap changes, copy and paste the cfml file back in to the permanent master file.

Settings and offline mode can be launched right from the master or the ramdisk.

Patching thru 'auto-update' can demand more space than the ramdisk is set to.

either d/l the patch manually, place in the master 'playnet' file and launch, or create a larger ramdisk to allow the auto update.

I just patch manually.

Keep the ramdisk size as small as possible...., file +15% freespace allows me to defrag if needed.

A 630mb file on 750mb. works for me.

Also, lock to refreshrate..., for some reason, unlocked frames access the hard drive a tiny bit as the frames constantly change.

That's 'bout it,

Ratszo

i tried to play ww2online on a ram disk with the programm "Super Speed Ram Disk"..install is very easy, but except faster loadings i didnt recognize any performance for me. same fps on average and very sometimes very rare fps drops as usual, but when i zoomed into trees i had some fps more.

i have to mention that i have no the perfect system to run such a disk, i have only around 1,5 gb ram and after a while not all could be run only from the ram disk itself. 2 gb seems teh minimum if u want to run the whole game efficient on a ram disk. without ram disk my page file goes up to 1,45 GB, even i have already that amount in ddr ram.

i tried to play ww2online on a ram disk with the programm "Super Speed Ram Disk"..install is very easy, but except faster loadings i didnt recognize any performance for me. same fps on average and very sometimes very rare fps drops as usual, but when i zoomed into trees i had some fps more.

i have to mention that i have no the perfect system to run such a disk, i have only around 1,5 gb ram and after a while not all could be run only from the ram disk itself. 2 gb seems teh minimum if u want to run the whole game efficient on a ram disk. without ram disk my page file goes up to 1,45 GB, even i have already that amount in ddr ram.

Yeah, fps are generated from the cpu/gfx card --so, if the cpu/gfx card are producing a slideshow, a ramdisk ain't gonna hand you 50fps.

Thing is, if you don't notice the hard drive producing stutters, there's no need for a ramdisk, or 'no page file'.

Mostly it's for flying --in the air, moving at 300 mph., loading becomes an issue.

A small stutter at high speed will lock controls for hundreds of yards.

Lawndart.

You're right 'bout 2gig being the miminum --no page file AND a big ramdisk doesn't leave much ram left.

The memory budget is tight. If it's exceeded, Windows will hard crash and cry like a 'lil girl 'bout 'check sum' and 'system dump', then whine 'bout no page file.

She'll throw fragments of system file all over the hard drive.

A real tantrum.

But flying ingame like it's offline is so worth it.

[edit] oh yeah, 'superspeed' is the software i use..., very easy interface. The company is in the USA; they got a tollfree number.

The software is slick, simple.

The only other disk software i've seen over 64mb is a Russian guy's who wrote a script from windows open-source free sample ramdisk.

Trust me, buy American.

Ratszo

Bump with a Rat quote,

#68 07-27-2005, 04:21 PM

KILLER

CORNERED RAT

Re: 2 gigs of RAM, does it make a difference? Yes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The game hits your HD in two ways.

First, the game loads models and a lot of other stuff in memory at initial load. After that it will go out to the drive to get things like sounds (some vehicles have a LOT of sounds) textures and other data.

It also has to go out to the hard drive for terrain data, tree locations and types, building location and orientation data etc.

Also after the game is loaded, windows swaps out some of the memory wwiol is loaded into out to your swap file on your hard disk. When that data in the memory location is needed windows swaps it back into memory from your swap file.

So turning off the swap file, and setting up wwiiol in a ramdisk set up in system RAM would be the ultimate, but I would leave a gig of system ram at least as windows needs that 1/2 gig or more, and wwiiol runs in the 400mb range.

Using dual channel DDR setup for higher memory bandwidth should also help.

Pretty extreme, but it would definately minimize stutters.

Turning your visible players setting down would kill them probably just as much and is cost free though. Most stutters we are seeing, especially with flying, is the loading and unloading of massive numbers of player models in a wave when flying over combat.

wait a second, i made a 5gig swap file on a seperate partition, then ran a boot time defrag,so it never gets fragmented, just for this game ..................am i to understand that this game needs the swap file off? im confused.......... 1 gig of ram btw

wait a second' date=' i made a 5gig swap file on a seperate partition, then ran a boot time defrag,so it never gets fragmented, just for this game ..................am i to understand that this game needs the swap file off? im confused.......... 1 gig of ram btw[/quote']

Need? No.

But with 2gigs ram, can turn off pagefile. No swapping means less hdd usage for smoother flying.

Ratszo

Alright, so I increased the size to 960mb. It's extremely stable. I played in a realism event today for about 6 hours. Never hiccuped. As someone said you seem to get more fps looking a trees. For some reason I get more fps looking at the trees this time. The only drawback is reinstalling wwiiol every time you restart the computer.

Seen somemore interest in ramdisks, so here's a bump.

Been using mine for 'bout 6 months now trouble free.

Ratszo

When you load up the game what all the stuff is loading from the hard drive to the ram. I went and I put it on a ram disk so it'd be already pre-loaded. I havn't played it in heavy combat but will try that soon. There are several bad things about this though, if the ram looses power everything on it is lost. So everytime you restart/turnoff/power outage, you'll loose the data.

As for ratszo, yes, the pagefile is turned off. I had tried this earlier on the program merlin55 recomended but it required money to go past 64mb.

Frustin, it wasn't really instability, the ctd part I'm betting was being out of memory.

Actually ramdisk has an option to save the disk to an image and you can load that image each time you reboot.

I really don't have any studders.

ww2ol is basicly entirely loaded onto my video card(s)

but meh frame buffer is bigger then most peoples system ram.

:)

The game can't execute from video card RAM. Executable code cannot function as such in a frame buffer.

If you do this with 2 gigs of ram I'm guessing you run the game on the 2nd gig of ram and reserve the first stick for the OS?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0