Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
c47

So I played wwiiol on a ramdisk

107 posts in this topic

I cannot figure out how to launch it online.
You'll have to change your registry settings to reflect where the game is installed to. So, if your Ramdisk is drive E, and you copied your install over into it, your registry should have the drive letter changed to E at these locations:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Playnet\apps\appid1\instance1]

"Location"="E:\WW2OL\ww2.exe"

"Path"="E:\WW2OL\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Playnet\apps\appid1\instance1]

"Location"="E:\WW2OL\ww2.exe"

"Path"="E:\WW2OL\"

So I have to go into regedit and change the c over to f and that's it? Then I can just click on the playgate thing on my desktop? I followed the instructions from sflo and all I got were 4 files on my desktop that did nothing.

I haven't read the instructions from sflo. However, if you installed the game originally on your C drive, then every time you boot up and create Ramdisk, you'll have to copy over the directory from C to F (the ramdisk).

If you plan on doing that then make the changes to the registry and just leave them. When there is a patch you'll want to change the registry back to the C drive and patch...then go back in and switch it back to F. Also, if you change anything with your keymapper, be sure to copy the files back from the Ramdisk to your C drive, so they'll be permanently saved. The keymap files are in Data/CFML.

Make sure the registry directory path matches hwatever you have set up in your Ramdisk. If you put it in a Battleground Europe folder, then you'll want those registry entries to say... F:\Battleground Europe\ww2.exe

Etc.

O.k. So I pasted this into my registry. F:\pg\Battleground Europe\ww2.exe and F:\pg\Battleground Europe\. Now where do I click where to launch the game online for the ramdisk? Is it the icon that I would normally launch the game from on my desktop?

Yeah, you use the same icon. That just launches playgate (which is installed on your harddrive) and then Playgate will look at the registry to see where to launch ww2.exe from. You want it to launch it from your Ramdisk, which is why we changed the registry entries.

On the playgate icon when i clicked on properties it still said c:blahblah. So I changed that portion to "F:\pg\Battleground Europe\ww2.exe" 1 1 and F:\pg\Battleground Europe\ww2.exe. Now it launched.

Are you sure? I believe that will just launch the ww2.exe file in offline mode.

You shouldn't have to change the shortcut at all. You want to run playgate.exe, and it should look like this: "C:\Program Files\Playnet\Playgate\PlayGate.exe" 1 1

That will tell Playgate to connect to the main game server. When it launches it will look to the registry to find out where to run ww2.exe from.

It did look like that but I changed it anyways. Sho8uld I leave it, or change it back?

Well, do whatever works. If it launches the game correctly to the main server then don't listen to what I say. Telling the shortcut to not even run through playgate.exe, though...I don't see how that could work.

So even though I clicked on the playgate shortcut thing and hit properties and it said "C:\Program Files\Playnet\Playgate\PlayGate.exe" 1 1 it didnt matter? It would go to the registry that I changed? I didn't know that it didn't matter and changed it thinking that it was playing off the regular drive.

Just checked my shortcut's target and it's to the ramdisk,

"E:\Program Files\Playnet\PlayGATE\PlayGate.exe" 1

Got both BE and playgate folders wraped in a 'program files' folder copied into the ramdisk, drive E:.

Ratszo

Playgate shouldn't have to be installed on the same drive as WWII Online. They are two different apps. Playgate connects to the authentication server and prompts you for your username/password. You click Login and then Playgate will run ww2.exe based on what the registry says.

if i have 2gig dual channel ram and 10000rpm hdd will i benefit from using this ramdisk method?

Basically, the amount of time you see the harddrive light come on, and the amount of performance hit you take during that time, will be reduce to a very nominal performance hit. So basically, watch your FPS when your harddrive light comes on, and that's what you can reduce. This includes loading up the game and spawning time.

if i have 2gig dual channel ram and 10000rpm hdd will i benefit from using this ramdisk method?

I was wondering the same. I have 2GB dual channel DDR 400MHz and lighting fast RAID0 2xSATA II hard drives...

Maybe trying out this Ramdisk and flying around enemy AFs and heavy combat zones will only tell it for sure...

ok ive done all of what said in this thread got ramdisk setup ww2 on ramdisk which is now f drive changed the registry so its f: blah blah but cant seem to get it to work online? works offline no worries but no go online what have i done wrong?

We preload a lot of this in memory but it does little good' date=' Windows takes that memory and writes it to disk anyway if it's not used all the time, so it still has to get it from the hard drive where windows memory management swapped it out to and stutters every time it does.[/quote']

Could you give an option in settings.exe to use custom disk and not windows default for preloading instead? That should of course be a ramdisk :). So that you don't have to install everything on ramdisk...

ok ive done all of what said in this thread got ramdisk setup ww2 on ramdisk which is now f drive changed the registry so its f: blah blah but cant seem to get it to work online? works offline no worries but no go online what have i done wrong?

What happens when launching?

I'v got the 'playgate' folder launcher on the ramdisk too.

The shortcut points to the playgate on the ramdisk...

Looks like this on the disk, E: drive,

WW2.exe- E:\Program Files\CRS\Battleground Europe

Playgate.exe- E:\Program Files\Playnet\PlayGATE

The desktop icon's target is-

"E:\Program Files\Playnet\PlayGATE\PlayGate.exe" 1

Also, check to see if offline is really running from ramdisk.

Launch offline with disk empty..., if should get an error saying 'can't find...'.

Ratszo

O.k. I have it working but I keep running out of virtual memoy and game ctds every once in a whle after playing for some time. WW2ol is using wayyyyy too much memory now. It can go as far a 900 megs.

My system specs:

AMD 3700 64 (clocked at 2.869)

7900 gt

2 gigs OCZ Platinum 500

ww2wtf.JPG

P.S. Badas you have to make sure the icon to launch ww2ol on your desktop is pointing to the right place too. I had the same problem till I right clicked on it, checked properties and changed the location to it.

Lithu, how big is your Ramdisk? You should be able to get away with 625MB, saving the rest for system memory.

See what the size of your Battleground Europe folder is. If you don't have any screenshots or the Playgate setup exe, then it should be less than 620MB.

Why does WW2 use soo much memory now though. It starts off in the 400's and jumps to 800+.

i managed to get it to work by installing ww2 fresh on the ramdisk and updating it but when i launched it it just ctd as soon as i spawn and said virtiual memory to low? i have no page file selected do i need to install it fresh on ramdisk or just copy it over from c drive ? i went into registry and changed all playgate and playnet stuff from c: to F: which is my ramdisk but i think the path's are different i have no idea what im doing btw.

pc specs

amd64 3500+ venice

msi k8n diamond mobo

2 gig dual channel mushkin 2-3-2-6

msi 7800GTX

wd 74g 10000rpm hdd

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0