Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oyaji

overclocking nvidia 6800GT AGP card

10 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone has advice for me on what the best drivers are for overclocking a nVidia 6800GT AGP 8x video card.

I was using a 93.71 driver - recent changes by a friend have led to a much later driver, which I cannot use to overclock. Either way, my framerate in combat is single digit, so anything above that would be gravy.

Thanks in advance for any assistance forthcoming.

What processor are you running? You'd probably get a much more marked improvement from settings tweaking and cpu overclocking.

What processor are you running? You'd probably get a much more marked improvement from settings tweaking and cpu overclocking.

Athlon 64 single core, 2.0 GHz.

1.5 GB DDR400/PC3200 RAM (sufficient that I can run with virtual memory OFF - good for about 1.5 hours play before memory leak shuts me down)

Recently changed to latest BIOS update (2005? 2006? was the latest offering), no benefits

1.29 hit me pretty hard, I had been in the low-to-mid teens in air combat... odd because many report better, not worse, performance since the patch.

You should be able to get at least a 10-15% improvement in cpu speed through bios settings.

Go into the bios and change the fsb mainclock number to 210 instead of 200. This will cause your ram to run at 420mhz and your cpu to run at 2.1ghz. Depending on the quality of your ram you might be able to push up to 225 or so. If your ram seems like it might be limiting your clock speed you can slack the timings from latency 2.5 to 3 for example and the ram will run higher speeds. Watch your cpu temps if you become unstable you can always return to your original settings. Settings that fail to boot will require jumpering the cmos jumper on the MB to restore default bios settings and allow it to boot again.

I see that you have 1.5gigs of ram. Is that 3 512meg sticks? If so, that means you are not running in dual channel ram mode. In order for your MB to run in "dual channel" all ram must be installed in matched pairs. Many older boards would be knocked out of dual channel operation if all three ram slots were filled up, some would even drop down to ddr333 speed when all slots where full. Check into that. If you're not running dual channel getting it back could result in a 15% performance improvement or so depending on how starved your system is for ram bandwidth.

Go into your ww2 in game settings, go to the windows HUD area and change the minimap to the compass. The minimap is an fps hog.

Go into your video card driver's advanced menu and tweak your 3d settings towards performance making sure vertical sync is "always off".

That should help you out.

Lazyboy - thanks for the reply. I just got back home for a couple days after being gone a week, and will be similarly engaged in and out of town so my replies will be sporadic for a while.

I will try the FSB mainclock settings you advise. Sounds like a winner, not afraid to push it to the max (well, maybe a bit, since it is the only machine I have that can run this game, sorta... don't want to destroy it, but it IS a 2002 computer, after all).

With regard to dual channel memory - no can do, this is a single-core machine but at least it's 64-bit - Athlon 64. Dual channel relies on dual core processor, right?

I'd be willing to spend up to maybe 50 bux to get me to 25 FPS in combat (more money than that is a waste on this old machine, I reckon). I'm thinking a second-hand nVidia 7800 for AGP (and overclock the hell outta it) and maybe a 1 GB stick (to replace a 512MB one) to get me to 2GB total - what you think? worth $50?

Lazyboy - thanks for the reply. I just got back home for a couple days after being gone a week, and will be similarly engaged in and out of town so my replies will be sporadic for a while.

I will try the FSB mainclock settings you advise. Sounds like a winner, not afraid to push it to the max (well, maybe a bit, since it is the only machine I have that can run this game, sorta... don't want to destroy it, but it IS a 2002 computer, after all).

With regard to dual channel memory - no can do, this is a single-core machine but at least it's 64-bit - Athlon 64. Dual channel relies on dual core processor, right?

I'd be willing to spend up to maybe 50 bux to get me to 25 FPS in combat (more money than that is a waste on this old machine, I reckon). I'm thinking a second-hand nVidia 7800 for AGP (and overclock the hell outta it) and maybe a 1 GB stick (to replace a 512MB one) to get me to 2GB total - what you think? worth $50?

Dual channel ram has nothing to do with a dual core processor. The first boards with dual channel ram where the nforce2 boards for the AMD barton socket A processor. I'm pretty sure your board is dual channel. They all where after that because it gives you a nice little performance boost. It somehow uses both sticks of ram at the same time but it doesn't work unless they are matched pairs. 3 sticks throws it off and it won't work in dual channel.

For any performance PC ram should always be bought and installed in matched pairs. Single unmatched sticks are for internet appliances and work pc's that don't care about dual channel operation.

Dual channel ram has nothing to do with a dual core processor. The first boards with dual channel ram where the nforce2 boards for the AMD barton socket A processor. I'm pretty sure your board is dual channel. They all where after that because it gives you a nice little performance boost. It somehow uses both sticks of ram at the same time but it doesn't work unless they are matched pairs. 3 sticks throws it off and it won't work in dual channel.

For any performance PC ram should always be bought and installed in matched pairs. Single unmatched sticks are for internet appliances and work pc's that don't care about dual channel operation.

I guess I need to read some more about dual-channel RAM. For what it's worth, my 3 RAM slots are color-coded 2 blue 1 black, so it sounds like you are right on target.

How much benefit could I expect from ditching my 1.5 GB (3 512 MB sticks) and replacing with 2 matched 1GB sticks? My RAM is DDR400/PC3200... I expect the cost to be about $25/stick (found some no-name RAM at $15/1GB stick though).

I guess I need to read some more about dual-channel RAM. For what it's worth, my 3 RAM slots are color-coded 2 blue 1 black, so it sounds like you are right on target.

How much benefit could I expect from ditching my 1.5 GB (3 512 MB sticks) and replacing with 2 matched 1GB sticks? My RAM is DDR400/PC3200... I expect the cost to be about $25/stick (found some no-name RAM at $15/1GB stick though).

Just a guess I would say it's at least a 10% improvement, especially with an old system where taking care of a problem like this might be opening up a bottleneck. It could give you a 20% boost it's hard to tell. I think you will notice though. The color coding is a dead giveaway. The two blue slots are going to be your dual channel slots. You might even be stuck running ddr333 right now without knowing it. Many boards defaulted to that with all the slots full. Dual channel was only supported in ddr400 mode. That would only run with 2 slots full.

All current boards are dual dual channel. That is 4 slots and 2 dual channels. Some boards have the paired sticks right next to each other, some skip a slot. You have to look at your boards color coding and manual to get them in the right slot.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0