Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddraig1

HELP!! PC wont start

4 posts in this topic

Sorry if this is in wrong forum.

Today whilst gaming my pc suddenly lost power, it tried to re-boot itself but only managed about half the boot process before shuting off again. It again tried to re-boot but this time managed even less of the boot process, this happened about 5 times before eventually it does not even turn on and i get no system fans or drives operating but I still have power to my on/off button.

My first thought was the processor had for what ever reason got to hot and the system had gone into protection mode but even when left for 4 hrs to cool down i still get no boot process.

My sys specs are : win xp sp3, e660 core duo with compatible m/board, 3gb ram, 650w modular psu, 9800 gt gpu, x2 sata hd drives and 1 optical drive.

I installed the ram, gpu and psu about 2 months ago ad have had no problems.

Any ideas? and yes I have checked all connectors etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Probobly some nasty hardware issue, take out all non-essential stuff , try just keep harddrive/ram(only 1 ram chip to begin with) and video card in there try and boot then, if it works, cool. If it dosnt it might some faulty stuff in there.

and if possible, use some old hardware that you know works (old ram thats comp with your motherboard) old video card etc etc you get the point, then just test "piece by piece"

I had a similar problem, it was one of my ram chips that was screwing my computer over and it shutdown before i could get in to windows

Reseat all cabling, try again.

If it still fails to post, strip it to just the MB and Video card, try again.

If it still fails, try with 1 ram installed, try again (swap if fails)

If it still fails its probably the PS or MB.

You can measure the voltage at the pins, in case one voltage is completely dead, to verify its the PS, but often with bad PS they show a voltage in range but wont supply any current to speak of.

Taking a swag, its the power supply. Can you borrow one to test?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0