Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seanokil

Vid cards?

14 posts in this topic

ATM i have radeon 9550 that quite frankly sucks .Im looking to upgrade and have very little funds, im looking to spend $50-$70au. I dont know what details u need but MB is pci-e*16, p4 socket775, 2gig ram.Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Sean

The MB is a Gigiabyte GA-VM900M REV 1.0. My prevoius mb died i think the tech put a adapter on it not sure though.

Not sure what the AU price will be but if you could wait and save up more money I would get a 8800 which can be found from $100 - $200. The 8800's should be falling in price and if you are on a budget the GeForce 8800 GTS models are probably the best bet but these are being faded out and are hard to come by. Newegg only has refurbished ones I believe. I couldn't find any new ones on Newegg so I'm not sure if Newegg is selling 8800's anymore.

Otherwise I would go with a 9800 maybe others who have a little bit more knowledge on video cards can help you choose a good one. 9800 at Newegg for $134.99.

I put the $134.99 because I'm not sure if the same deal is available for you or not with all the rebates the card drops to about $109.

You can find ATI 3870's for very cheap too 70-$100 price range. That would be a good alternative to an 8800gts if you can't find one of those in your price range.

You'll need at least a 400watt psu.

I'm not sure what AU converts too either but as far as under $100 you can't do better than an 8800gts. If you spend $150 you can get a nice ati 4850.

You are probably going to be a little cpu bottle necked with anything faster than an 8800 anyway. Spending more won't improve your performance.

Thanks lazyboy also is 400w psu a power supply?Also whats the ati4650 and 4670 like? they seem more in my Au budget?

the 4600's are the mid range nerfed versions of the 4800 ati cards. You would probably be relatively happy with a 4670. I haven't looked much at their performance. If you can find an 8800gts for the same price I believe that might be a better buy. I try to stay away from mid and low end cards. That's why you don't like your 9550. It was a low end card when it came out.

PSU is the power supply. One benefit of going with a mid or low end card is typically you don't need a very large PSU to power one.

well how about a 7900GS pCI express card. I believe the fill rate is far superior to the 9500.

I used a 7900GS and it was pretty good before I upgraded to my GTX 260. I also find nvidia much better with this game. I used 2 ATI cards when I started playing and both gave me issues and performance problems. I switched to nvidia and it was much better.

get a second hand or new one off ebay for hardly anything.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ASUS-Nvidia-7900GS-PCI-Express_W0QQitemZ270330603748QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item270330603748&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Doc said fill rate was king now here are the specs to compare. You an see a 7900 is years ahead but can be bought cheaply.

Radeon 9550

Memory Bandwidth: 6.4 GB/sec

Shader Operations: 1000 MOperations/sec

Pixel Fill Rate: 1000 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 1000 MTexels/sec

Vertex Operations: 125 MVertices/sec

Nvidia 7900GS

Memory Bandwidth: 42.24 GB/sec

Shader Operations: 9000 MOperations/sec

Pixel Fill Rate: 7200 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 9000 MTexels/sec

Vertex Operations: 787.5 MVertices/sec

well how about a 7900GS pCI express card. I believe the fill rate is far superior to the 9500.

I used a 7900GS and it was pretty good before I upgraded to my GTX 260. I also find nvidia much better with this game. I used 2 ATI cards when I started playing and both gave me issues and performance problems. I switched to nvidia and it was much better.

get a second hand or new one off ebay for hardly anything.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ASUS-Nvidia-7900GS-PCI-Express_W0QQitemZ270330603748QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item270330603748&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Doc said fill rate was king now here are the specs to compare. You an see a 7900 is years ahead but can be bought cheaply.

Radeon 9550

Memory Bandwidth: 6.4 GB/sec

Shader Operations: 1000 MOperations/sec

Pixel Fill Rate: 1000 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 1000 MTexels/sec

Vertex Operations: 125 MVertices/sec

Nvidia 7900GS

Memory Bandwidth: 42.24 GB/sec

Shader Operations: 9000 MOperations/sec

Pixel Fill Rate: 7200 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 9000 MTexels/sec

Vertex Operations: 787.5 MVertices/sec

I've used nothing but ATI with this game and had no problems minus the occational driver release that ww2ol doesn't agree with but that same thing happens with nvidia.

You've pointed out what makes upper end cards so much better in ww2ol than mid and low range cards. Fill rate. What makes that fill rate better in the upper end cards is most of them have twice the memory bus of the mid and low range stuff. The 7900gs has a 256bit memory bus. As far as I know even the newest mid range cards that came out weeks ago are still using a 128bit memory bus.

Looking for that upper end card that is still cheap with good fill rate is more important than what brand. I'd be willing to guess that the ati cards you used where mid range cards then you upgraded to an upper end nvidia making the ati stuff look bad. The 7900gs is equal to an ati x1950 which can also be found for almost nothing now.

If you can help it get at least a HD3850 or an nvidia 8800. The 7900gs/x1950 are only directx9 compatible and it won't like new games that use directx10.

I don't think you are going to find anything in the price range that you gave us that will be an improvement over what you have.

Look at Tom's Hardware; the prices are in US dollars and I really couldn't find any in Aus stores that are online in your price range. Although I bleieve there really isn't one from the price range that you have given. If you can stand the low performance you are getting right now and wait a little bit and save some more money to get a better video card that is what I would do. This card is close to your price range but still it is just barely a step above the card you currently have.

Thanks for all your help looks like ill have to wait a couple more weeks and get some extra cash up.So i can get myself a decent vid card.At least ill get better value for money!

Yes seano. As I have linked go for a 7900GS off ebay for 10 - $20. (aus) Someone mentioned X1950 also.

That will give a graphic card that in terms of fill rate etc is 6 - 9 times better than a 9550.

You have only $45 US dollors so I think that's your best bet. Buy a used one and save up for as many months as needed to get a 8800 or 9800 type card or HD3870 etc

If you ever want to compare to check out fill rates etc this site is good. There are probably many others but this is quick and easy.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0