Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jorvik

Core i7

3 posts in this topic

Greetings geeks

Thinking about building a new rig this year, anyone here using the new i7 cpu - what do you think to it?

S!

It's the best cpu right now. The only reason to go with anything else is cost or overclocking ability. Last I read intel has limited the overclock potential of all low end models. The corei7 forces you to run ddr3 and also to buy an expensive MB.

You might be wise to wait for a few revisions to the MB selection for the corei7. The first boards for a new cpu socket are never the best. Many times they don't support minor changes in later models of the cpu.

The current e8000 series core2duo chips are still very much worth building with, especially if you are on a budget. If you like to spend a lot of money on something you won't have to touch for a while the corei7 is the only way to go. The corei7 is about 20% faster per clock cycle than the current wolfdale and yorkfield core cpu's on the 775 socket. Since the nicer wolfdales regularly hit 4ghz when tuned and the only reasonably priced corei7's are under 3ghz you can actually outperform the new cpu with the older ones if you are overclocking literate for way less money. 20% performance boost per clock can't make up for a 1ghz difference in speed. DDR2 is also fully capable of supplying all the bandwidth current cpu's need. The corei7 is the first cpu that really is designed to use ddr3.

Yep, give it a while for the motherboards to get better and cheaper. I doubt you'd see a massive performance gain in ww2ol - other applications certainly, but not this one.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0