• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dawnp

Some personal photos

65 posts in this topic

My uncle was in the US Army during WW2, from what he told me with Patton's 3rd army. He died about 15 years ago, and left me some negatives/film. I had them printed, and was suprised to what I found.

From what he told me, he either took the photos, or a buddy did.

Here's a knocked out tiger tank :

tanks025.jpg

My Uncle in front of his jeep, he was a scout or something to that effect (notice how he welded steel to protect from shrapnel) :

tanks023.jpg

Him standing on a 190 (variant unknown) :

tanks024.jpg

Him sitting in the same 190 :

tanks026.jpg

Enjoy.

Pretty neat. If I remember I'll try doing one of my father from his WWII navy experiences.

Yeah, we've all seen the copied photos, this is original. Makes you appreciate stuff thats never been seen.

An original knocked out tiger photo is pretty hard to find.

(please dont use it on other forums without permission)

Whats up with the funky suppressor on the tiger?

It looked like someone tried to unscrew part of the barrel from the mantlet and couldn't get it off over the muzzle brake.

It looked like someone tried to unscrew part of the barrel from the mantlet and couldn't get it off over the muzzle brake.

That looks reasonable...someone must've thought they'd take an 88 home as a souvenir...

"Hey mack, help me pull this barrel out. I'm gonna send it home one piece at a time..."

Dawnp, i don't know if you're aware of the value of these kinds of photos but you ought to know that original, private photos of German aircraft and armour fetch a premium, especially something like a tiger.

I've seen some quite insane money change hands for a single photo so it's good to know what you have because families part with their relatives stuff without being aware of their market value.

Dawnp, i don't know if you're aware of the value of these kinds of photos but you ought to know that original, private photos of German aircraft and armour fetch a premium, especially something like a tiger.

I've seen some quite insane money change hands for a single photo so it's good to know what you have because families part with their relatives stuff without being aware of their market value.

Really ? No wonder my cousin scooped up most of my uncle's stuff when he died. He had quite a collection, including a swastika flag signed by the guys in his unit, a complete german uniform he got out of a supply dump, several pistols, etc. He gave me these photos, a k98 cleaning kit, a k98 bayonet and a web belt buckle.

I was supposed to get the rest of it when he died, but he never made a will out, and my cousin was like a vulture. Instead of going to the funeral, he went to his house and cleaned it out.

Thanks for the heads up, but I doubt I'd ever sell them, unless I was dead broke and desperate.

I've known of single photos go for more than a a thousand bucks on e-bay. There are a few collectors with deep pockets that are behind the prise rises. It's also to do with authors\publishers of those photo books popular with modellers. So armour with unusual camo schemes, rarely seen vehicles or particularly good, clear never before seen photos are sought after.

That flag you mentioned will be worth a fair bit,well into 4 figues i'd uess depending on the type of flag and whats been written on it. The uniform could be woprth thousands too, again depending on condition, rank, branch etc. Same goes for the handguns. Sounds like you got left the crumbs.

Wow - that first picture - looks like he's knee-deep in mud??? And the jeep, isnt???

I've known of single photos go for more than a a thousand bucks on e-bay. There are a few collectors with deep pockets that are behind the prise rises. It's also to do with authors\publishers of those photo books popular with modellers. So armour with unusual camo schemes, rarely seen vehicles or particularly good, clear never before seen photos are sought after.

That flag you mentioned will be worth a fair bit,well into 4 figues i'd uess depending on the type of flag and whats been written on it. The uniform could be woprth thousands too, again depending on condition, rank, branch etc. Same goes for the handguns. Sounds like you got left the crumbs.

I wanted them for the historical value, not for the money, which my cousin did. I heard he sold them or traded them for booze and drugs. He died a few years later of an overdose.

I'm happy with what I recieved, just wish I could have saved the rest from being sold or wasted or destroyed.

Wow - that first picture - looks like he's knee-deep in mud??? And the jeep' date=' isnt???[/quote']

I never got to ask him about the pictures in detail. I'm guessing it could be mud, or maybe even a shell hole. If its mud, makes you wonder why only that part of the field is bogged down.

Also, anyone notice the side of the tiger's turret ? Are those penetration holes ? Just next to the mantlet.

Some guys go really far into researching tigers and tiger units. It's quite possible that someone might be able to ID the tiger and location, same with the Fw.190.

If you want to do that this is probably the best place

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewforum.php?f=47&sid=5753eada141db14646400b57b4e81715

I hear you on historical value. I collect wartime photos taken where i live in North Norway, i want them because they're part of the history of this area, not because they're of any monetary value.

Also' date=' anyone notice the side of the tiger's turret ? Are those penetration holes ? Just next to the mantlet.[/quote']

Might be penetrations, or non-penetrating impact marks.

The broken track pretty likely was the cause of the tank being there. The tank could get shot at after a breakdown, but it couldn't very well lose a track after the crew bailed or was killed by penetrations.

Sometimes apparently-abandoned breakdowns were shot up by the other side, either for the hell of it, or because they might still be occupied or the enemy might infiltrate back and re-man them, or because in front-line service it was common to shoot first and figure out what you were shooting at second.

I never got to ask him about the pictures in detail. I'm guessing it could be mud' date=' or maybe even a shell hole. [/quote']

I'd guess a 75mm-class HE artillery round. Soft ground, shell arrived at a high angle, penetrated a foot or so before detonating. He might have scratched up his boots stepping into the hole, from all the shell splinters embedded in the ground.

Might be penetrations, or non-penetrating impact marks.

The broken track pretty likely was the cause of the tank being there. The tank could get shot at after a breakdown, but it couldn't very well lose a track after the crew bailed or was killed by penetrations.

Sometimes apparently-abandoned breakdowns were shot up by the other side, either for the hell of it, or because they might still be occupied or the enemy might infiltrate back and re-man them, or because in front-line service it was common to shoot first and figure out what you were shooting at second.

Wish he would have taken a side photo of this tiger so we could have seen the tank number. Would have been very cool to know the history of this tank.

Really nice photos dawnp. Thats a treasure you got there, and don't get rid of them (selling or trading) as they're a part of your familys history.

Cool photos!I doubt my family has anything like this,we seem to be adept at entering military service between wars.Every generation has given military service,and before WWI,after WWI,after WWII,and my dad left military service very little before the Vietnam War started off.

Like others have said,dont sellim dont sellim dont sellim!And if you do,sell to a historical establishment like a museum.

Really cool pictures dawn.

Do you have more? Those are sweet. :)

He had a bunch of negatives, but I only managed to get ahold of these. :(

That's quite a famous Tiger you have a photo of. Lots of photos out there of that particular tank. I think people liked it because of the odd dmg to the barrel sleeve caused by two hits to the mantlet.

The other pics are great as well.

That's quite a famous Tiger you have a photo of. Lots of photos out there of that particular tank. I think people liked it because of the odd dmg to the barrel sleeve caused by two hits to the mantlet.

The other pics are great as well.

Really ? Any backround on this tiger ?

I'd love to know since my Uncle was there and took a picture of it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0