Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dawnp

Some personal photos

65 posts in this topic

That's quite a famous Tiger you have a photo of. Lots of photos out there of that particular tank. I think people liked it because of the odd dmg to the barrel sleeve caused by two hits to the mantlet.

The other pics are great as well.

Was wondering what happened. Internal explosion pop the bolt heads off?

Ok after some digging this is not the same Tiger I was thinking it was.

The Tiger I thought it to be was Tiger 411 of the Schwere Panzer-Kompanie "Hummel" Tiger 411 was knocked out on 15 Jan 1945 and internal explosions casued similar damage to the gun tube as this one. However on 411 the commanders cupola was not blown off the vehicle, and both tracks were intact.

Ok after some digging this is not the same Tiger I was thinking it was.

The Tiger I thought it to be was Tiger 411 of the Schwere Panzer-Kompanie "Hummel" Tiger 411 was knocked out on 15 Jan 1945 and internal explosions casued similar damage to the gun tube as this one. However on 411 the commanders cupola was not blown off the vehicle, and both tracks were intact.

Ahhh.

Should I post the picture on the Axis History forums ? Think they can help ?

Might be hard, no way to see the tank's numbers from the front. :(

Bump to let new people see.

Also, I got some more stuff of his through my cousin.

A big SS flag signed by the guys he served with. I also found out what unit he was with. 533rd AA battalion.

Also got a few of his photo albums that my cousin was just gonna throw away. Some nice stuff, I'll see if I can get them to photobucket to post em here.

Edit: I have a nice picture of the SS flag, but waiting on the OK to post it. Might be against the TOS.

Edited by Mosizlak

I'll get some pictures up of my Mauser and some ammo for it from '41 next time I'm home. Inherited gift from my great grandfather.

Awesome pictures btw, especially the aircraft. I'm trying to figure out if there's a penetration mark on the Tiger's mantlet, upper left.

I'll get some pictures up of my Mauser and some ammo for it from '41 next time I'm home. Inherited gift from my great grandfather.

Awesome pictures btw, especially the aircraft. I'm trying to figure out if there's a penetration mark on the Tiger's mantlet, upper left.

Looks like it, doesnt it?

Wish he would have taken a side shot of that tiger so we could have seen the number.

What kind of planes are in the back ground of that ju52?

What kind of planes are in the back ground of that ju52?

2012-07-04_15-41-07_993-1.jpg

Very hard to tell. The only clear-ish images of other planes in the picture are the tail section of a small plane in front of the Ju-52's right engine and a larger bomber off the right wingtip.

The bomber looks almost certainly like an He-111. Edit: Actually, it could be an Hs.129

The other tail section is some sort of fighter, White 8. Most likely a 109 but there's not many distinct features left.

Edited by Jester

Really great pics Mo' date=' thanks for sharing![/quote']

I have 2 photo albums, mostly with mundane stuff. I posted all the cool shots :P

Here is Tiger 411 that I had thought was your Tiger. Similar damage but not the same Tiger.

attachment.php?attachmentid=104455&d=1347020982

That does look close.

I realllllllllly wish he took a picture of the side of the tiger so we could have seen the number. :(

I think I'm going to have to find and purchase a copy of Tigers in Combat I. I think it may cover the Wehrmacht units. The one I have is Tigers in Combat II which covers the non Wehrmacht units.

Great books if you've not seen them. Covers every unit that had Tigers with a lot of AARs and day to day count of operational vehicles per unit. Also has TONS of unit and crew identified Tiger photos.

**Update Tigers in Combat I is on the way so maybe I can find your Tiger in there.

Edited by svt40

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0