Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

*** Resolution problems post video specs here

29 posts in this topic

If you are having trouble seeing any video mode > 800x600 in the config app please post your video card specs, OS version and Mac type here. Also indicate if you are using more than 1 monitor or video card and how they are connected.

I am looking at the source that Shawnce wrote - apparently for some video cards the filters are too strict. I may build a test version for folks with the problem to see if it's fixed once I figure out the trouble... my problem is that I only have an ATI 9600 which works correctly.

ATI Radeon 9200:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV280

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

Slot: C1

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5961

Revision ID: 0x0001

ROM Revision: 113-A27502-124

Displays:

Display:

Type: Display

Display Type: CRT

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display:

Ahwulf - Radeon x800 - no problem on resolutions not showing up but it is the first time I have seen the term distorted after some of the resolutions.

5jE34393.jpg

Yeah distorted = stretched, Shawn's idea...

Of course, you disgust me with your expensive card :-)

In a fit of frustration, I hooked up my backup monitor and voila, I had resolution options galore. Hmmm, methinks I'll just use this monitor to play, so I hook it up in place of my other, and alas, same lack of options... only thing that changed? Cable. BNC and VGA.

Config file won't offer additional resolution options when my monitor is connected with its 5-pin BNC cable. However, when connected with a VGA cable, everything operates as expected. I have tested this on two monitors with same results. Both are Mitsubishi, but different models:

Diamond Pro 2040u

Diamond Scan 90e

My guess is that it's the BNC cable connection and not the monitor per se.

Guys, this thing have something to do with refresh rate. Check the reply to my post about black screen.

Also for video card info:

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

I would say.

It has fullcreen tests too!

Ahwulf must know that freak "company", OpenGL freaks now have Intel,IBM,NVidia,SGI at back for that tiny free utility.

In a fit of frustration, I hooked up my backup monitor and voila, I had resolution options galore. Hmmm, methinks I'll just use this monitor to play, so I hook it up in place of my other, and alas, same lack of options... only thing that changed? Cable. BNC and VGA.

Config file won't offer additional resolution options when my monitor is connected with its 5-pin BNC cable. However, when connected with a VGA cable, everything operates as expected. I have tested this on two monitors with same results. Both are Mitsubishi, but different models:

Diamond Pro 2040u

Diamond Scan 90e

My guess is that it's the BNC cable connection and not the monitor per se.

Hi,

5pin BNC is not a computer thingie while it has amazing quality. There is no way computer can get refresh rate from BNC monitor, e.g. detection will be broken.

Man, I have a idea about whats happening. The application checks monitor VESA information or makes system check for capabilities, thats the point it gets continueus loop!

My Samsung 19" lags a bit while giving system that information, it is very similar to black screen time I had!

(opengl extensions viewer)

System Info?Mac OS X 10.4.1 (8B15)??Vendor?NVIDIA Corporation?1.5 NVIDIA-1.4.2??Renderer?NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra OpenGL Engine??Extensions?GL_APPLE_client_storage?GL_APPLE_element_array?GL_APPLE_fence?GL_APPLE_float_pixels?GL_APPLE_flush_render?GL_APPLE_packed_pixels?GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer?GL_APPLE_specular_vector?GL_APPLE_texture_range?GL_APPLE_transform_hint?GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object?GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range?GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators?GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422?GL_ARB_depth_texture?GL_ARB_fragment_program?GL_ARB_fragment_shader?GL_ARB_imaging?GL_ARB_multisample?GL_ARB_multitexture?GL_ARB_occlusion_query?GL_ARB_point_parameters?GL_ARB_point_sprite?GL_ARB_shader_objects?GL_ARB_shadow?GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp?GL_ARB_texture_compression?GL_ARB_texture_cube_map?GL_ARB_texture_env_add?GL_ARB_texture_env_combine?GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar?GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3?GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat?GL_ARB_texture_rectangle?GL_ARB_transpose_matrix?GL_ARB_vertex_blend?GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object?GL_ARB_vertex_program?GL_ARB_vertex_shader?GL_ARB_window_pos?GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3?GL_EXT_abgr?GL_EXT_bgra?GL_EXT_blend_color?GL_EXT_blend_func_separate?GL_EXT_blend_minmax?GL_EXT_blend_subtract?GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint?GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array?GL_EXT_draw_range_elements?GL_EXT_fog_coord?GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays?GL_EXT_rescale_normal?GL_EXT_secondary_color?GL_EXT_shadow_funcs?GL_EXT_stencil_two_side?GL_EXT_stencil_wrap?GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc?GL_EXT_texture_env_add?GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic?GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias?GL_EXT_texture_rectangle?GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip?GL_NV_blend_square?GL_NV_depth_clamp?GL_NV_fog_distance?GL_NV_light_max_exponent?GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint?GL_NV_point_sprite?GL_NV_register_combiners?GL_NV_register_combiners2?GL_NV_texgen_reflection?GL_NV_texture_shader?GL_NV_texture_shader2?GL_NV_texture_shader3?GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap?GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp?GL_SGIS_texture_lod??

Core features

v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)?v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)?v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)?v1.4 (100 % - 15/15)?v1.5 (100 % - 3/3)?v2.0 (62 % - 5/8)?

Compiled vertex array support?This feature improves OpenGL performance by using video memory to cache transformed vertices.?

No paletted texture support?This may cause performance loss in some older applications.?

Multitexture support?This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.?

Secondary color support?This feature provides an alternate method of coloring specular highlights on polygons.?

S3TC compression support?This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.?

Vertex array range support?This feature improves performance in some applications by using AGP for dynamic vertex transformation.?

Texture edge clamp support?This feature improves texturing quality by adding clamping control to edge texel filtering.?

Vertex program support?This feature enables a wide variety of effects via flexible vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.)?

Fragment program support?This feature enables a wide variety of effects via per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.)?

Texture anisotropic filtering support?This feature improves the quality of texture mapping on oblique surfaces.?

Occlusion test support?This feature provides hardware accelerated culling for objects.?

Point sprite support?This feature improves performance in some particle systems.?

Extension verification: ?

I am wondering if playing with the two checkboxes changes anything. The config app rebuilds the resolution menu when you pick a monitor from the monitor menu. Maybe you are winding up with the wrong monitor (one card that supports 2 monitor connectors) and getting no resolutions in the menu *because there is no display attached*.

System Info
Mac OS X 10.4.1 (8B15)

Vendor
ATI Technologies Inc.
1.3 ATI-1.4.2

Renderer
ATI Radeon 9200 OpenGL Engine

Extensions
GL_APPLE_client_storage
GL_APPLE_element_array
GL_APPLE_fence
GL_APPLE_flush_render
GL_APPLE_packed_pixels
GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer
GL_APPLE_specular_vector
GL_APPLE_texture_range
GL_APPLE_transform_hint
GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object
GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range
GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators
GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422
GL_ARB_fragment_shader
GL_ARB_imaging
GL_ARB_multisample
GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_ARB_occlusion_query
GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
GL_ARB_texture_compression
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
GL_ARB_vertex_blend
GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
GL_ARB_vertex_program
GL_ARB_vertex_shader
GL_ARB_window_pos
GL_ATI_array_rev_comps_in_4_bytes
GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate
GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax
GL_ATI_text_fragment_shader
GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once
GL_EXT_abgr
GL_EXT_bgra
GL_EXT_blend_color
GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate
GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
GL_EXT_blend_minmax
GL_EXT_blend_subtract
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint
GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
GL_EXT_fog_coord
GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_EXT_rescale_normal
GL_EXT_secondary_color
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
GL_EXT_texture_env_add
GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
GL_EXT_texture_rectangle
GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip
GL_NV_blend_square
GL_NV_fog_distance
GL_NV_light_max_exponent
GL_NV_texgen_reflection
GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap
GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
GL_SGIS_texture_lod
GL_SGI_color_matrix

Core features

v1.1 (100 % - 7/7)
v1.2 (100 % - 8/8)
v1.3 (100 % - 9/9)
v1.4 (80 % - 12/15)
v1.5 (66 % - 2/3)
v2.0 (37 % - 3/8)

Compiled vertex array support
This feature improves OpenGL performance by using video memory to cache transformed vertices.

No paletted texture support
This may cause performance loss in some older applications.

Multitexture support
This feature accelerates complex rendering such as lightmaps or environment mapping.

Secondary color support
This feature provides an alternate method of coloring specular highlights on polygons.

S3TC compression support
This feature improves texture mapping performance in some applications by using lossy compression.

Vertex array range support
This feature improves performance in some applications by using AGP for dynamic vertex transformation.

Texture edge clamp support
This feature improves texturing quality by adding clamping control to edge texel filtering.

Vertex program support
This feature enables a wide variety of effects via flexible vertex programming (equivalent to DX8 Vertex Shader.)

No fragment program support
This feature enables per pixel programming (equivalent to DX9 Pixel Shader.) Some current or future OpenGL programs may require this feature.

Texture anisotropic filtering support
This feature improves the quality of texture mapping on oblique surfaces.

Occlusion test support
This feature provides hardware accelerated culling for objects.

Extension verification: 

I think CRS should get that freeware which also includes a huge database for every opengl card out there.

Look, ATI (in fact my favorite) has less opengl features than nvidia 5200.

Has anyone been able to fix this??

here is my video info

osX v10.3.9

GeForce FX 5200:

Type: display

Bus: AGP

Slot: SLOT-1

VRAM (Total): 64 MB

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0321

Revision ID: 0x00b1

ROM Revision: 2060

Display:

VRAM (In Use): 64 MB

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

NVDA,Display-A:

Display:

VRAM (In Use): 64 MB

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

NVDA,Display-A:

note the "No display connected" when obviously, there is.

the game is unplayable in this state, i could really use some help with this.

Thanx!!

I think there is simple solution. Turn off your mac and your monitor, remove the graphics cable from graphics port and plug it it to other port. Don't forget they are tied (soft screw) and tie it to secondary port. There is a real reason why serial, parallel and VGA must be sure fixed to port.

Your monitor is actually plugged into "B" e.g. secondary port it seems.

Just don't forget to turn off computer and monitor both (

use monitors power button or if it doesn't have it, unplug it from current.

"Energy saving" (light blinking etc) not a real turn off.

You can use this as example, look at back of it, there the monitor should be connected, other is for secondary:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/gallery/pmac_g5all_june2004_480.html

You should consider yourself lucky as windows or pc loses its mind if such thing happens :)

The other graphics plug on the back of my G5 is for a DV monitor. I dont have one of those so i have to keep the monitor plugged into the spot that its in now.

thanks tho for your reply, and going the extra mile with the picture. i much appreciate that.

any other thoughts on how to fix it??

I think there is simple solution. Turn off your mac and your monitor, remove the graphics cable from graphics port and plug it it to other port. Don't forget they are tied (soft screw) and tie it to secondary port. There is a real reason why serial, parallel and VGA must be sure fixed to port.

Your monitor is actually plugged into "B" e.g. secondary port it seems.

Just don't forget to turn off computer and monitor both (

use monitors power button or if it doesn't have it, unplug it from current.

"Energy saving" (light blinking etc) not a real turn off.

You can use this as example, look at back of it, there the monitor should be connected, other is for secondary:

http://www.apple.com/hardware/gallery/pmac_g5all_june2004_480.html

You should consider yourself lucky as windows or pc loses its mind if such thing happens :)

No, the display A must be "ADC" and the secondary must be DVI.

We actually have same setup here, I got nv5200 with CRT 19".

Than you connect it to right place.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G5/PowerMacG5_SP/2Architecture/chapter_3_section_8.html

OK, try something else. From "Displays" control panel, click "detect displays", it should at least refresh. I get some stuff fixed that way here.

There is only one impossible thing happened, you got DVI to CRT converter :) As I said, near impossible. If you look from machines back, the left one is where display "A" is.

Other than that I give up here. Could be another bug I say but no, I don't think its a OS bug.

As you play this game, you likely have broadband. Can get 10.3.9 combo update (big one) and re apply update to make sure your system is intact. Every OS X update in your situation updates graphics driver too.

i think i see the conflict here. im using an adc to vga converter, becuase my monitor is vga. (i think im saying that properly)

anyway, i cant be the only person with this set up. it used to work just fine before the patch.

this sucks.

i think i see the conflict here. im using an adc to vga converter, becuase my monitor is vga. (i think im saying that properly)

anyway, i cant be the only person with this set up. it used to work just fine before the patch.

this sucks.

sorry, that was me. i wasnt logged in

If you mean the game sees it as monitor B, while system sees it as main monitor its game bug.

I think we need a guy knowing ADC and the DV here.

I don't think Apple gave you the "other" adapter. This is an apple at last, main display and its converter is ADC.

Especially on nvidia 5200,which Apple bundles itself.

I don't think Apple gave you the "other" adapter. This is an apple at last, main display and its converter is ADC.

Especially on nvidia 5200,which Apple bundles itself.

I am not sure where you bought your Mac from seeing your location, but in the US the models that come with a nVidia 5200 include a DVI to VGA connector. The ADC output is for Apple displays (ADC=Apple Display Connector; it is basically a DVI connector with 24 volt power added). You can't put a DVI conncetor into the ADC slot without physically damaging the pins, and I wouldn't want to hack one either as frying my monitor because of a crossed wire, solder bridge, or missed ground is not my idea of fun.

I do not know of a ADC to VGA connector, although in today's world market there is probably someone selling one.

dosboss

But even Apple says display A connector is ADC and they have given free ADC to VGA converter to me.

I may be confused here myself, so sorry if I am.

The details are still not giving me any idea, I can't reproduce them on my 9600. Could someone with the problem go to System Preferences:Displays:Display and take a screenshot and post it here. Also, does Detect Displays do anything? (takes a few seconds on my Apple Cinema 17). ALso is there any settings in the Options tab?

It's clear somehow the code is looking for a screen resolution compatible with opengl and not finding anything at all.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0