• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhale

POssible to upgrade this ancient thing?

72 posts in this topic

I don't get terrible performace from my system, but just wondering if upgrading this thing is possible being that it is a dell and all. Here's my dxdiag.exe:

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 2/20/2009, 17:56:05

Machine name: BEAU-8460EF9EAF

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Dimension XPS

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz

Memory: 3070MB RAM

Page File: 516MB used, 3928MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: RADEON X850 Series

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x5D4D)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5D4D&SUBSYS_03021002&REV_00

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Dell E193FP

Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024

Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6891 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 12/1/2008 14:51:31, 318464 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

WHQL Date Stamp: n/a

VDD: n/a

Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys

Mini VDD Date: 12/1/2008 16:13:40, 3452928 bytes

Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-1E0D-11CF-5969-0823A1C2CB35}

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x5D4D

SubSys ID: 0x03021002

Revision ID: 0x0000

Revision ID: 0x0000

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D ModeWMV8_B ModeWMV8_A ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_A

Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

Registry: OK

DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: Not run

D3D7 Test Result: Not run

D3D8 Test Result: Not run

D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio [CCC0]

Default Sound Playback: Yes

Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_20061102&REV_04

Manufacturer ID: 1

Product ID: 100

Type: WDM

Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys

Driver Version: 6.00.0001.1361 (English)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

WHQL Logo'd: n/a

Date and Size: 7/7/2008 10:31:10, 532376 bytes

Other Files:

Driver Provider: Creative

HW Accel Level: Full

Cap Flags: 0x0

Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0

Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0

HW Memory: 0

Voice Management: Yes

EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes

I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No

Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Registry: OK

Sound Test Result: Not run

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

I really would consider just building a new computer. If that's a socket 775 P4 you may be able to salvage the memory but you can pick up a 4gb kit of PC6400 for $30-40 so that's no real savings. You could build an AMD system rather cheap.

AMD MB $60

AMD CPU X2 $45

4gb ram $35

Video $100-150 ($100 card will play this fine) Ask around here for opinions on inexpensive cards.

450-550watt PSU $40-60

HDD 320gb sata2 $50 or use your old one

CD-DVD EIDE or SATA writer $25 or use your old one

XP home OEM $89

Vista premium $120 not a good option for game performance

If you went Intel the changes would be:

$60 AMD MB to=Intel MB $90

$45 AMD CPU to=Intel CPU $120-160 for a good dual core

Just some quick numbers. Not being able to see your current computer first hand I have no idea if you case is a standard ATX/MATX. I would assume it isn't.

I would just build a new one and hand that one down or find a new use for it.

EDIT forgot a case, you can get a decent case for $45-60 that has good cooling with 2x120mm fans that are nice and quiet.

If I build something similar to this, will i be able to upgrade it at will, or will i still be limited when it comes time to upgrade? Budget is a concern, so if I can put together a machine that gives me better performance than this, i hope to be able to slowly upgrade it to get full performance from WWIIOL.

Thanks!

If I build something similar to this, will i be able to upgrade it at will, or will i still be limited when it comes time to upgrade? Budget is a concern, so if I can put together a machine that gives me better performance than this, i hope to be able to slowly upgrade it to get full performance from WWIIOL.

Thanks!

Absolutely you will have a great upgrade path if you use standard ATX parts. With your current gear i assume you that you have PCI-express X850 car, DDR2 memory(prolly PC5300).

If that is a socket 775 p4 3.2ghz chip you could reuse that aswell if you wanted to go the Intel route. The reason I didn't suggest simply getting a video card for your current rig is just that, no positive upgrade path. Not to mention most OEM's put the weakest PSU in they can and still ship it. Not to mention the power button and LED configuration of the case which more times than not isn't compatible with the ATX format.

So if you do decide to reuse your CPU you want to make sure whatever type of p4 you have is listed as supported chip for you motherboard. I assume you have the single core Prescott 1mb l2 chip.

Thanks!

Be careful there. If you are going to go the AMD route make sure you get the AM2+/AM2 socket board. The AM2+ is what you really want since you can run the newer Phenom's on these boards.

I suggest this board ASUS M4A78 PRO AM2+/AM2.$109.99

AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION. $142.00

OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400).$49.99 I actually have some of this RAM laying around in my house. I opened it up and I was going to use it in another PC but I sold it before I put them in there.

All you would need now is a hard drive, video card, operating system, and maybe a DVD drive but you could just pull the one from your current PC so you really don't need a new DVD drive.

With the board I linked to you it has a lot of SATA slots and only one that would hook up to your current DVD drive so that maybe a problem but not a big one.

The hard drive will cost anywhere between $40-100+ depending on the size and speed of the drive you are going to get.

For your Operating system don't buy the ones that come in a case and the instructions on how to install the operating system buy the OEM software it will save you a lot of money and you really don't need the case that it is sent in.

I suggest this video card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316. It is about $110 after the mail in rebate right now this is a very good card.

If we knew the price range you are looking at it would be more helpful.

Without a case it comes out to be about $400-500 depending on the hard drives, OS, and case you would want. Also don't skimp on the power supply.

Make sure you get a Good Graphics card.

8800GTS or better.

This card won't do you wrong.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

you can pick up a AMD Athlon X2 7750+ Black edition for 89.99$ While not quite as fast as a intel core 2 duo for a guy on a budget you can't go wrong.

Yeah I'd go with the dual core Phenom over the quad just to save electricity and prolong your motherboard life.

Personally I won't get a quad core until faster dual cores are no longer an viable option.

The thing about the AMD black edition chips is: Unlocked upper multipliers that overclockers(a fair share of AMD's retail market) love as often some of the motherboards can't stand a really high FSB to overclock the chip with a low CPU multiplier. If you have no intention of overclocking the CPU the Black Editions aren't necessary. The X2 7750 above is the exception with it's larger L3 cache.(it's faster than the others clock for clock)

Look for a dual core AMD 2.6GHz and above, with Intel you probably want to get the 3.16GHz E8500 CPU.

There's only a handful of reasons to go quadcore and WWIIOL isn't one of them.(most games aren't)

Yeah I'd go with the dual core Phenom over the quad just to save electricity and prolong your motherboard life.

Personally I won't get a quad core until faster dual cores are no longer an viable option.

The thing about the AMD black edition chips is: Unlocked upper multipliers that overclockers(a fair share of AMD's retail market) love as often some of the motherboards can't stand a really high FSB to overclock the chip with a low CPU multiplier. If you have no intention of overclocking the CPU the Black Editions aren't necessary. The X2 7750 above is the exception with it's larger L3 cache.(it's faster than the others clock for clock)

Look for a dual core AMD 2.6GHz and above, with Intel you probably want to get the 3.16GHz E8500 CPU.

There's only a handful of reasons to go quadcore and WWIIOL isn't one of them.(most games aren't)

Kudos.

Really the only gain is being able to run other proccess(like explorer.exe or svchost.exe) on the third and fourth core leaving core 0 and 1 for video games.

Oh if you do go quad core make sure that the motherboard provides the 125W or 135W what ever it is. On the website it should say how many watts the CPU Consumes. and the motherboard should say the amount provided somewhere in the specifications page.

When possible try and find the .pdf manual for the board your really looking hard at before buying. Sometimes each manafacuter has its own quirks or limitations that newegg or tigerdirect might not advertise.

and reviews reviews reviews read them. I absolutely take PCMODDER's words as golden. http://www.custompc.co.uk/reviews

There way of doing things is benchmark them all stock. Benchmark them again overclocked. and then overclock them into oblivion and see whats happens.

oh and *wink wink* You might want to grab a SLI board.

Should check out Nvidia CUDA. It's a slap in the face to crossfire. Now you can run triple or quad sli setups and specifiy what you would like each card to do. for example 2 cards render graphics while 1 card does physix. pretty cool stuff.

oh and don't skimp on the power supply.

oh and since most boards only come with one IDE slot i've been using these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812197005

for 10$ a pop it sure is cool to have 4 functional DVD burners.

I appreciate all the info guys!

In terms of the budget I'm working with, well, I guess Id like to spend 500 to 600 on an upgradable rig perhaps using some components from an old comp and OEM Windows XP discs I already have. However, I would be willing to go a little higher (~$800) if it would make a VAST difference and get me alot closer to the end product.

From what I've read, I assume I don't need to worry with quad core processors or multiple graphic cards at this time.

Well with a dual core you won't use much more than 65% of the total process time just running normal apps and WWIIOL from my experience. As for multiple video cards, the drivers normally use enough CPU time by themselves that a CPU bound game may very well see lower FPS when the CPU is heavily loaded than with just a single card. The newer drivers from both ATI and Nvidia in the last year or so are supposed to be multithreaded to some degree but seeing any gains other than synthetic benchmarks remains to be seen. The initial cost of running two cards is a bigger PSU, an extra card, probably 30% more power draw and another 25% more heat output. A strong single card is always the best choice IMO, with a large video buffer.

I'm running a 8800gt 512mb right now at 2x AA and 4x AF @1600x1200 and most of my video buffer(512mb) is already used. If I were to get another card I would definitely get a GTX 260/280 with 896mb/1gb memory. I would need more video buffer than 512mb for an LCD with a native resolution of 1900x1200 and wanted to use any AA. Right now i'm still using a CRT so i'm not forced to use only one resolution.

If you want decent intel box spec'd I'll take a few minutes to gather the parts list for you to look at.

I appreciate all the info guys!

In terms of the budget I'm working with, well, I guess Id like to spend 500 to 600 on an upgradable rig perhaps using some components from an old comp and OEM Windows XP discs I already have. However, I would be willing to go a little higher (~$800) if it would make a VAST difference and get me alot closer to the end product.

From what I've read, I assume I don't need to worry with quad core processors or multiple graphic cards at this time.

well ill say 800$ will make a vast improvement. If your on a budget theres no sense in getting a radically fast intel cpu and match it with a sub prime graphics card.

So for video cards the new thing is Shader proccessing units or SPU's for short. it's basicly like 100 core Proccessors. and it makes a big difference.

To be honest i have a AMD cpu and you know i don't have any lag at all. even in wwiiol. Guess my system is just balanced. I know intels are alot faster when compared against my cpu. but when you are already getting 75fps whats another 6 right?

You can easily pick up a damn good AMD dual core cpu for 100-120$ and i'd highly recommend the 9800GTX+. it's a good bang for the buck, you can pick them up for about 150$. And do not (and i mean this more then anything else) skimp on the Dang Power supply I see it so often its not funny at this point. Shat power supply = shat performance and reliability. The power supply is just about the one componant you'll be able to transfer over to your next build down the road, so why not spend more now and be able to upgrade even more per dollar in the future?

i'd say for 800$ (this is just off the top of my head)

you'd be able to get a AMD dual core CPU if not a triple or quad core.

9000 Series GTS or GTX model (GT models are crap when for a extra 30$ you can get so much more)

2048-4096MB of ram

a MATX or ATX standard board from a good brand

1000GB HDD

650-750W power supply with a minimum combined 38Amp on the +12v rail(s)

for less then 800$ i'd look at a AMD 6000+ or AMD 7750+. 2048MB of ram and a 500GB HDD. again don't skimp on that graphics and power supply.

Good rule of thumb.. Dual slot video cards are faster then there single slot counterparts. More often you see higher core clock speeds and faster Mhz for the same platform if its equipped with a Dual slot Cooler.

Vannila ram (the basic cheap stuff) Won't do you wrong at all if you don't plan on overclocking. I've been using cheap stuff in my all of my stacks. Haven't had a problem outside dead sticks on arrival once and awhile. but no more so then the 1337 Muskin low latency memory. Really the only real world performance difference between a 20$ stick and a 60$ stick (if you arn't overclocking) is about 2-3fps and 50-70 point increase on a Snythetic benchmark. This all really does change though if you plan on overclocking your system and you don't have a black edition AMD CPU,other AMD's and all intels have "locked" multipliers multipliers are what basicly Steps up the clock speed. To get your cpu speed is FSBxMultiplier = cpu speed.

So if your Front side bus speed is 200Mhz and you have a multiplier of 11. you get a 2.2Ghz CPU. There are other things like hyper transport and double pumping but thats rather complicated.

So with overclocking though on a normal system. the only interger you can change is the FSB speed. and thats how they overclock CPU's.

The only Major Drawback is...It overclocks the rest of your system along with your cpu. so THAT is where the expensive ram comes into play. The expensive stuff can handle a higher Mhz without producing errors.

It also throws sticks at your Chipset Motherboard itself and voltage regulators. But a good board is designed with this is mind.

Although still to this day i do not recommend overclocking.

That being said...

Amperage is everything for a power supply You'll notice thats the main difference between a cheap and a good power supply. And voltage regulation is key. cheap power supplies won't provide a 12.00v or 5.0V consistantly under stress for hours on end. and as any dude thats went through a crap power supply will tell you. 12v dipping below 10v is horror on a system.

I bought my enermax a good 4 years ago now. it's still at 12.03v for my 12.00v rating. Theres a reason they call Enermax the champions of power supplies. They might not always be flashy, look like a bright *** UFO or Have modular componants. But They won't let you down man. ever.

I'd also consider getting some IDE/SATA mounted adapters for your old hard drives and CD roms. There cheap (about 10$) and fit right onto the back of your IDE device. really so much easier then purchasing all new drives considering now-a-days theres only one PATA slot available.

If you ever need some honest opinions or advice give me a hollar on here or through PM and i'll try and help you as best as i can. Lazyboy is also a good guy to talk to.

Great Info!

okay, at this point I doubt I will be doing any overclocking as I'm nervous enough about trying to build this thing myself.

So, if you guys don't mind, show me the specific components I'll need except for the processor and cpu. That way I can get a solid price on what I'm looking at. Then I can decide on AMD or Intel from there. OR do all the components depend on the cpu/mobo? Ha, I'm helpless!

Great Info!

okay, at this point I doubt I will be doing any overclocking as I'm nervous enough about trying to build this thing myself.

So, if you guys don't mind, show me the specific components I'll need except for the processor and cpu. That way I can get a solid price on what I'm looking at. Then I can decide on AMD or Intel from there. OR do all the components depend on the cpu/mobo? Ha, I'm helpless!

Heres a list of components totaling $804 shipped to and there's $75 in mail in rebates so $729 total shipped for a very strong system that can be easily overclocked:

PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341010

MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128359

MEMORY http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146731

CASE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145215

DVD-RW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136152

VIDEO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434

CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

A rundown on the system spec:

Antec three hundred case with one 140mm fan and one 120mm fan (have one)

Gigabyte P45 motherboard DDR2 based (i have the previous model same spec)

Intel E8400 CPU (kickass overclocker)

Nvidia GTX 260 896MB

OCZ 600 watt stealth xtreme power supply (i have one)

Mushkin PC6400 4GB kit (good low volt stuff, i have a set)

Hitachi 500GB SATAII HDD

LG SATA DVD-RW

I think that wraps up a pretty nice intel system.

The main mistake I see people make on their first build is improper setup of the mainboard standoffs(putting them in wrong place or just too many) and over tightening the motherboard screws, outside of that, the manuals will explain most everything well enough.

Excellent. Wow, that vid card looks gigantic! Bet it kicks butt compared to this POS I got.

Do I need a cooling device for the CPU itself? Think that got left out.

Anyone care to post specs for an AMD system so I can compare.

This is a lot of fun, Monday is flying by!

Excellent. Wow, that vid card looks gigantic! Bet it kicks butt compared to this POS I got.

Do I need a cooling device for the CPU itself? Think that got left out.

Anyone care to post specs for an AMD system so I can compare.

This is a lot of fun, Monday is flying by!

The CPU is the retail box which includes the copper based Intel CPU cooler. It's not a bad cooling heatsink fan system. It should have good longevity.

Again I appreciate all the help on this issue.

Looks like i will pull the trigger on the Intel build Laverty specced for me some time soon, unless there are other opinions to consider.

Anyone know if there is a big sale weekend coming up anytime soon? Always looking to save a penny!

I think that wraps up a pretty nice intel system.

The main mistake I see people make on their first build is improper setup of the mainboard standoffs(putting them in wrong place or just too many) and over tightening the motherboard screws, outside of that, the manuals will explain most everything well enough.

Same. For the love of jesus himself DO NOT PUT EXTRA STAND OFFS In the motherboard tray. seen it one to many times. A random stand off that shorted out the motherboard.

The manual that comes with your computer case will tell you where to put all the stand offs for that form factor of mainboard.

That gigabyte would be a ATX form factor. so in the manual it'd say like ATX is the letter A. MATX is the letter B. and if you look on your motherboard tray each hole for a stand off has a letter to it.

but double check because sometimes the mounting holes on the mainboard vary.

I'm always lazy so i just gently lay the mainboard in and stick tooth picks or headless nails in the holes so there is no mistake. when i take the board back out to put the stand offs on.

These are stand offs by the way

http://70.169.170.235/acatalog/SCREWNUTMlarge.jpg

I'll explain the I/O header to you when you get there. (the connections for the front USB ports audio and the power button) but the manual does a good job.

Really just read the motherboard manual front to back and you should know enough to build the computer.

Any quriky questions just ask here im sure somebody would know.

hmm.

Heres a similar AMD set up

PC power and cooling 750W E~80+ Certified 129.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

(easy on the electric bill and provides alot of Amp per watt)

Evga 113-M2 Mainboard 89.99$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188036

AMD phaenom 9600 Quad core Agenia "black edition" 95.00$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103244 (you can overclock this proccessor just by itself)

4x Crucial 1024MB DDR2-800 11.99x4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148166

(Theres no need for super fast overclocking ram since thats a black edition with unlocked CPU multipliers)

Evga GTX260 SuperClocked Edition Core 216 254.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

(2nd fastest GTX260 in the world behind the SSC editions)

Seagate 750GB SATA 3G 7,200rpm 32MB Cache 79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148298

Pick your own computer case and DVD/blu ray players. Theres a HD/BR/DVD/CD player burner out there for 100$

but that totals at 697.92

I think all those parts have free shipping. plus theres a couple rebates in there.

But thats a solid budget computer. Granted you loose the Dual Core Intel but you gain the Quad Core AMD Which is just slighty slower in some tests and slightly faster then the intel in others. But look at what you get in return for the Cheaper just slightly slower AMD counter part.

here look if you want proof

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-q3-2008/compare,817.html?prod%5B2170%5D=on∏%5B2183%5D=on

That video card is rock solid. It's Rediculously Fast. 896MB of texture memory ensures you'll be able to play any video game at the highest resolution with all the goodies on maximum.

That power supply stomps its foot in the door. Provides steller Reliability (i've had one for 7 years now still going a 450W PCP&C) It's got Active PFC so your voltages will always be what they should be, something that alot of the cheaper power supplies don't offer. With power supplies you truely get what you paid for. After all its the one componant that provides life to everything. The more stable your voltages and higher your potential amps, the smoother your performance will be. when looking at power supplies its more important to look at the total amps provided then the maximum wattage.

most 500W power supplies won't supply 500W they'll do 450-480W before basicly giving up on keeping the 12v going. It's just to much of a amperage draw. so when building a Damn good computer. always get a power supply rated alot better then what you'll need. A power supply that just barely meets requirements really won't have enough power to provide for extra Hard drives, fans, CD-roms,Neons,USB devices, Controllers and printers. crap like that.

That mainboard is from a proven company thats been around the block for quite some time. It's one of the fastest performing motherboards in its $$$ range but before you go off and purchase it.. if you actually do consider that list of parts. let me make sure 100% that CPU is supported by that motherboard. The specs on the websites aligned together but i'd rather make 100% sure.

anyways it's under your 800$ limit so that leaves you some room for a new LCD panel, a nice set of speakers, or some other goodies like a nice keyboard and mouse.

[edit]

If you want a mainboard with more features and future expandibility i'd recommend this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131367

Hrmmm... that looks good too.

Could i skimp a bit more on the vid card, or is that one just too good to pass up?

any suggestion on cases, or is a case is a case is a case?

Hrmmm... that looks good too.

Could i skimp a bit more on the vid card, or is that one just too good to pass up?

any suggestion on cases, or is a case is a case is a case?

your looking at the performance of a GTX280 for the price of a GTX260.

It's about as good as you can get in the real world of computers.

Kicks a playstation 3 in the face thats for sure.

But yes there are other models of GTX260's that are slower and cheaper versions. there are also 9800GTX+ cards, but i wouldn't dip below a 640MB 8800GTS for a video card. physics direct X 10 and all the new features of the enthuist cards make it a good time to be a gamer.

to a point a case is a case. but some cases look really cool. others have alot of room for extra stuff.

Just browse around. the only thing you need to make sure it is. is a Full sized ATX standard case and not a mini-tower.

Don't use the power supply provided with the computer. they are rather terrible.

If your anything like me you don't play wwii all the time.

And when ghost busters is released in june I wouldn't want to be lagging through the stay puft marshmellow level.

really the 100-150 mid range cards are let downs. After you see what a big *** video card can do you'll never ever ever go back to mid-range graphics again best additional 50-100$ ever spent trust me.

here is as low as i would go with a graphics card. now this isn't any piece of crap either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130416

9800GTX+ 512MB 128SPU's

but for a dude on a budget 169.99$ is a pretty sweet deal.

Man, I'm really going back and forth on the AMD vs Intel thing.

I think I'm getting greedy about it too. lol.

Question:

IS the power supply laverty posted sufficient for my needs with either system? There is a big price gap in the two.

Sound card and network card. Neither of these were mentioned. Do i need them or are they built into the mobo?

Is there a dual or triple core AMD that can be overclocked at a lower price range that would suffice and not loose too much performance? Remember what I am using now.

I think I will definately go with the GTX260 Superclocked graphics card (greedy greedy greedy).

Question:

IS the power supply laverty posted sufficient for my needs with either system? There is a big price gap in the two.

Sound card and network card. Neither of these were mentioned. Do i need them or are they built into the mobo?

Is there a dual or triple core AMD that can be overclocked at a lower price range that would suffice and not loose too much performance? Remember what I am using now.

I think I will definately go with the GTX260 Superclocked graphics card (greedy greedy greedy).

If you are going with the big expensive graphics card DO NOT skimp on your CPU.

Yes a network card comes with the mobo. Some people will tell you there is a huge FPS difference between on board sound and a sound card. For me I have seen very little performance gain from a sound card. With the CPU's we have today they can handle the extra demand that a sound card would replace. Plus some of the lower end sound cards are not any better than the on board sound on your motherboard.

If you are set on AMD I would go with a 6400+ Black Edition if you can find them. The Black Edition lets you overclock the CPU.

I'm not set on AMD. i'm set on getting a reliable, good performing, upgradable system for the lowest price.

That may be a misinformed statement, but I am completely misinformed when it comes to this stuff, so I'm relying on you good people. Learned alot already. :)

The last thing I want to do is spend money on something I will be dissapointed with in a year.

Question:

on paper yes it's qualified to run that GTX260 superclocked.

Now will it do it day in day out for years on end with out problems. I dunno.

Sound card is intergrated on motherboards same with the network card. however alot of people (including me) get this static hissing and crackling sound with tanks alot of the time. So if you can swing it get a add on sound card. but the intergrated network card will do just fine.

there are triple cores out there that have a good band for the buck. if you look at newegg.com there are a couple.

Black editions are a little bit more expensive. but a year or two down the road when your hurting for fps all you have to do is boot up the bios change the multiplier and you got a couple extra mhz to tide you over.

Well, I've thought about it, and I think this is the setup I'm going with.

PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341010

MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128359

MEMORY http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146731

CASE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129042

HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145215

DVD-RW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136152

VIDEO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130433

CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

It's basically the build that Laverty initially specc'ed, but an upgrade to the GTX260 Superclocked, and an upgrade to an E8500 CPU. It comes out to just over $800, so i busted my budget, but I'm comfortable with where i'm at.

I don't know what made me spend more and go with the Intel, just had a better feeling about it I guess.

I suspect this will actually be a pretty awesome computer, able to handle most of the new and upcoming games?

Let me know what you think.

Well, I've thought about it, and I think this is the setup I'm going with.

PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341010

MB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128359

MEMORY http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146731

CASE http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129042

HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145215

DVD-RW http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136152

VIDEO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130433

CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

It's basically the build that Laverty initially specc'ed, but an upgrade to the GTX260 Superclocked, and an upgrade to an E8500 CPU. It comes out to just over $800, so i busted my budget, but I'm comfortable with where i'm at.

I don't know what made me spend more and go with the Intel, just had a better feeling about it I guess.

I suspect this will actually be a pretty awesome computer, able to handle most of the new and upcoming games?

Let me know what you think.

Everything looks perfect. You do have a copy of XP or Vista right?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0