Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bhale

POssible to upgrade this ancient thing?

72 posts in this topic

Man, I'm really going back and forth on the AMD vs Intel thing.

I think I'm getting greedy about it too. lol.

Question:

IS the power supply laverty posted sufficient for my needs with either system? There is a big price gap in the two.

Sound card and network card. Neither of these were mentioned. Do i need them or are they built into the mobo?

Is there a dual or triple core AMD that can be overclocked at a lower price range that would suffice and not loose too much performance? Remember what I am using now.

I think I will definately go with the GTX260 Superclocked graphics card (greedy greedy greedy).

Well if you had everything running at stock speeds I doubt you would see more than 350watts total draw for the whole system including 15% efficiency loss for the PSU.

Personally I wouldn't have any issue using a decent 600-650watt PSU on a 4GHz dualcore and a GTX280 but that's me. There's another PSU I really like for the coin aswell, it's a 650watt Corsair with 1 12v rail at 52amps. Here it is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 a few more bux but it has only 12v rail which honestly is better than the 12v split over 4 rails.

Wow it's a damn good deal now, $70 after MIRB. I'd go with this now instead of the other OCZ unit. Same price better PSU. :)

BTW don't be afraid to work up your complete list for peer review, some of us may know a problem you may experience with a certain configuration.

LOL my browser must have taken a nap or i'm blind, didn't even see your buy list.

Anyway i would get this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 if you have the coin to cover it.

Everything looks perfect. You do have a copy of XP or Vista right?

I assume he's reusing mouse, keyboard, monitor and

I have a Creative X-FI XtremeMusic I hope is still a valid card under Vista 64-bit.. seems there's still a driver for it.

I have a copy of xp to use.

will change to the better PSU.

I'll likely pull the trigger this weekend. Which means the anxiety about putting all this into one piece will begin shortly.

I have a copy of xp to use.

will change to the better PSU.

I'll likely pull the trigger this weekend. Which means the anxiety about putting all this into one piece will begin shortly.

Ha Bhale i just bought that same 500GB HDD. it's really really thin.

thats a solid set up for sure.

Will I need any special tools or supplies to put this thing together?

#2 phllips screwdriver, you don't need thermal interface material(TIM) if you use the conductive goo that's already applied to the CPU heatsink. The only thing you need to do before seating the heatsink is remove the plastic strip that protects the thick paste on the bottom.

Ha! trying to make my order but the DVD drive went out of stock, I'm assuming any will work, or am I looking for a specific type?

Ha! trying to make my order but the DVD drive went out of stock' date=' I'm assuming any will work, or am I looking for a specific type?[/quote']

You'll probably want a SATA based one...easier to manage the cable...I'm no expert though at it ; the last one I bought was IDE, years ago.

That was the drive I was gonna get too...guess I'll be huntin' for another as well.

edit: I would go SATA. The mobo supports up to 8 SATA devices, plus their cables are thinner.

Alrighty! Ordered! Anyone have any suggested reading while I wait to ease my anxiety?

the pdf for your motherboard manual?

Well, they cant be any slower than Gigabyte's site is atm. Horribly slow. I'll be ordering the same board soon. Thanks for the links!

Well' date=' they cant be any slower than Gigabyte's site is atm. Horribly slow. I'll be ordering the same board soon. Thanks for the links![/quote']

It's taken 7 clicks just to get close to where I want to be on Gigabyte's US site. I gave up on the Taiwan one after browsing OT and it still wasnt done.

And the US one is still downloading the PDF... or something. I think it's powered by the same hamsters.

The bit-tech article..lol...the first paragraph on page 2...

"The new blue and gunmetal heatsinks provide a much needed facelift to the look and mean Gigabyte has a smart, coordinated design while retaining the socket differentiation it likes so much (and we appreciate this is needed on a mainstream model)."

Was that even English? The pic is nice though.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just having a petty moment. Or "new motherboard parent jitters".

Bhale.

If your mainboard doesn't come with drivers provided. consider downloading all the drivers for your computer and burning them onto a CD.

don't use the drivers provided with the graphics card. they are often really really old. the most recent 182.06 drivers unlocks Physics and CUDA on 8-9 series cards.

Case came in yesterday, the rest sould be in tommorrow.

I feel a lot more confident about the building process after watching some online videos of people assembling PCs.

I'm running a Dell Dimension E510.

3.4 Ghz HT P4

2 Gig Ram

SB Audigy 2 Pro ZS

NVidea 9600GT w/512

Dual 19" WS in HD mode at 1440x900

I get 50fps+ (30+ in heavy battles) with graphics pretty much set to high. Newer Dells are a lot easier to upgrade than the older ones. I was even able to upgrade the power supply to a standard Antic 550 with no problems. I would get rid of that Vid Card and get a 9600 or 9800 and up the PS to at least 500 watts. 2 gig of Ram would be minimum although 32 bit systems won't recognize over 3 gig. My current systems is totally upgraded except for the CPU and I had no problems doing it. Total cost for Graphics, Ram, Sound, PS, HD and DVD/RW was under 300 and I get great performance.

Too late!!!

lol :)

hehehe.

It's easy trust me. Just don't put the side panel on before you turn it on or you'll curse yourself.

only advice i'd say is mind your p's and q's when your handing your stuff. If you've got a room with wood flooring build it in there instead of a carpeted room. (way way less static)

If you run into any problem just take a picture of it and post it on here. I'm sure somebody will know the answer.

Heres my puter Bhale.

dscf8697qn0.jpg

If you take your time and route the cables nicely it keeps heat from building up. Cables themselves put off heat and hinders air flow. Bundle them up in one spot or leave them hanging everywhere and it can affect your computers tempatures alot.

not to mention makes it a pain in the @#$ to change out hardware or dust off some componants

Alright need some help, I got 8 sata connections on the motherboard, two are grouped together and they're purple, the other 4 are grouped together lower down ont he board and are yellow.

** NEVERMIND* figured it out, the two grouped were 3.0 GB/s connectors **

Okay, got it everything put together and booted it up. It booted fine.

But when I went into the BIOS it said the CPU temp was 69C.

That's way high isn't it. Any clues to what may be the problem??

Okay, got it everything put together and booted it up. It booted fine.

But when I went into the BIOS it said the CPU temp was 69C.

That's way high isn't it. Any clues to what may be the problem??

Sometimes CPU's run hot that first time they've been booted. Often its because the thermal paste is heating up and sorta bonding itself to the cpu and heatsink. Just watch it for awhile if it starts going higher then that then you know something is up. Keep the side of the case off for now.

If it stays in the 150's range for more then a day or two then i'd most definantly shut it down go out to a computer store and purchase some very good thermal paste. there are some guides out there showing you how to do it the best.

Was there a pad on the bottom of the heatsink? either gray,white or pink colored?

Sometimes there is a sticker you need to remove first. and make sure the latch is secure some of them use springs. But if you can gently tug on the heatsink and you feel it pop up even the slightest bit you need to look at whats making it do it. Sometimes heatinks need to be oreintened in a specific direction.

[edit]

I sorta peeked around a bit and it looks like 50C was pretty average for a high temp but you know i dont come across that many Core2Duos so i'm not that familar.

Hows it running? :)

I thought all the SATA connectors on that board were 3.0Gbps (not just the purple ones?)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2008/11/21/gigabyte-ga-ep45-ud3r/2

Btw, how safe is it to touch the underside of the mobo? I've seen some vids with people doing that! I've always been paranoid...and hold them by the edges, even after discharging myself.

Of course, I didnt realize that the anti-static bags the mobos came in were basically Faraday cages...and the outsides were bad news :P It's a wonder I didnt cook one by laying it on it...

edit: I think I'm gonna pick up an anti-static mat kit.

The temp has dropped below 60C now I will continue to monitor it.

Now I'm haveing problems activating my copy of XP.

lol

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0