Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hog

How do I go about recording game video on a second PC?

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I've got a an older machine with a single 9500GT graphics card and I play the game quite happily at 1920 x 1200.

I've also got a laptop that I'd like to use to record game footage without it taxing my gameplay (fraps on my game machine puts my fps in the sink.) My laptop has a firewire input card and was sold as a multimedia machine for video editing etc.

So, erm, what do I do next? Do I just need to put a firewire card in my games machine or am I getting myself in for more trouble than its worth?

Hi, I've got a an older machine with a single 9500GT graphics card and I play the game quite happily at 1920 x 1200.

I've also got a laptop that I'd like to use to record game footage without it taxing my gameplay (fraps on my game machine puts my fps in the sink.) My laptop has a firewire input card and was sold as a multimedia machine for video editing etc.

So, erm, what do I do next? Do I just need to put a firewire card in my games machine or am I getting myself in for more trouble than its worth?

What you'd need is a tv tuner card with a input that matched the secondary output on your 9500. it maybe componant it maybe S video or Composite (yellow) it sorta varies from series to series what you get as a secondary ouput.

Anyways they have capture devices that work on usb or Firewire although im sure the firewire would give you better resolutions and bitrates stuff like that.

you ought to check and see if the laptop itself has a video input. My ma has a HP 6510Dvm series and it's got a video capture card built into it.

That looks good - not too pricey either. Thanks.

Check the specs on what input(s) it has and what resolutions it can handle. Cheap devices tend to be fairly limited (they can only do tv quality signals), price goes up dramatically when you want better specs.

random pick (first one I found price for ;)

PhynxRGB-I

Single Channel RGB/VGA frame grabber, up to 1600 x 1200 @ 85Hz

$1512.00

Erik

I used to do the S-video to TV tuner method. It worked, but was less than ideal. The TV tuner I used was not capable of receiving 1920x1200, so it didn't capture the whole screen and the quality was very degraded. The one nice thing about the 2nd computer method (aside from not slowing down your system with Fraps) is that by simultaneously running an audio out to the other computer, you can capture full game audio with TS without creating the feedback that happens when you try to talk on TS while recording sound with Fraps. AFAIK there's still not really a fix for that. I've heard that you can do it when you have two sound cards, but every attempt I've ever made to enable both my sound cards at once has thoroughly hosed my system.

If I could think of a way to get pixel perfect video out to another computer, that would be a much better alternative to Fraps.

I used to do the S-video to TV tuner method. It worked, but was less than ideal. The TV tuner I used was not capable of receiving 1920x1200, so it didn't capture the whole screen and the quality was very degraded. The one nice thing about the 2nd computer method (aside from not slowing down your system with Fraps) is that by simultaneously running an audio out to the other computer, you can capture full game audio with TS without creating the feedback that happens when you try to talk on TS while recording sound with Fraps. AFAIK there's still not really a fix for that. I've heard that you can do it when you have two sound cards, but every attempt I've ever made to enable both my sound cards at once has thoroughly hosed my system.

If I could think of a way to get pixel perfect video out to another computer, that would be a much better alternative to Fraps.

Oh when you have multiple sound cards on the pci bus try increasing the pci latency timer.

i have mine at 64 but sometimes 128 is better when you have a whole lotta devices trying to chatter all at the same time.

You can get to it in the Bios. It should be a option as long as you arnt using a brand specific board like dell or HP.

I'd really look around. If you'd like to record HD signals then maybe a cheap 1.2Ghz 512MB 250$ stack with a 75$ internal HD capture card would be a better option then trying to purchase that same Cap card in a external version.

hell if that stack had a AGP slot i'd get a used 6000 series card throw in a 49.99$ 500GB drive and make it a television/ DVR.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0