• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phoenix

Antec 300 case + Corsair PSU + pics inside

9 posts in this topic

I'm sorry the image is so big, but Gimp is being stupid atm, and I'm in a rush to get done. 2 questions:

1) In yellow text in the pic, it reads:

"fan is on the underside of the PSU at bottom of case"

The PSU fan that is. Should it be down there, or should I flip the PSU so it's sucking hot air away from the video card?

2) Second question is: if I dont use the PCI-E power connectors on the PSU, I would have to use the 4 molexes that come with the vid card, right? (I'm guessing I will do the first, because it's more convenient -- I havent examined the PSU cable mess yet, really)

Equipment is:

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

latestbuild.jpg

Yeah flip the fan upwards so it isn't smothered by the bottom of the case. It was nice of Antec to let you mount it either way. If your looking at the Corsair manual they assume it's a top PSU mount case not bottom like you have.

There's no problems with cable lengths is there?

Most definitely use the PCI-Express connectors, using the molex adapter would be starving your card badly.

Thanks gents...I really appreciate the help...trying to do this while sick...have another question...

Umm...I have this extra connector on the Corsair PSU...it's a two separated 4 pin thing (basically 2 4s) which I think is a EPS12V? It definitely will not fit into the 8 pin socket on the board marked "ATX_12V_2x4"...can I ignore it?

To clarify:

You can see the mb spot on this page..

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2008/11/21/gigabyte-ga-ep45-ud3r/2

Look at #7 in the image. It's marked in the description as "8 pin EPS 12V CPU power socket" in the mobo image on that page.

Look at this pic of the Corsair connector of mine (the two 4s are not one, they're just being held together atm):

corsairconnector.jpg

It will NOT go into that #7 spot....just by looking at the shape of the squares and pentagons, the arrangement isnt right...do I need this? Is it just for Extreme Intel CPUs/server arrangements?

TIA

Thanks gents...I really appreciate the help...trying to do this while sick...have another question...

Umm...I have this extra connector on the Corsair PSU...it's a two separated 4 pin thing (basically 2 4s) which I think is a EPS12V? It definitely will not fit into the 8 pin socket on the board marked "ATX_12V_2x4"...can I ignore it?

To clarify:

You can see the mb spot on this page..

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2008/11/21/gigabyte-ga-ep45-ud3r/2

Look at #7 in the image. It's marked in the description as "8 pin EPS 12V CPU power socket" in the mobo image on that page.

Look at this pic of the Corsair connector of mine (the two 4s are not one, they're just being held together atm):

corsairconnector.jpg

It will NOT go into that #7 spot....just by looking at the shape of the squares and pentagons, the arrangement isnt right...do I need this? Is it just for Extreme Intel CPUs/server arrangements?

TIA

I take it back...it LOOKS like the connector on the left WILL go into the #7 position on the right....my bad...I dont really want to try yet until I flip the PSU...sorry to bother you guys. If something goes wrong I'll post back here. The way I feel atm I dont think I'll be able to start testing this thing til tomorrow night.

S!

edit: So I assume I should be plugging this in here for added power, eh?

I actually believe you put one conector in each side to make the 8 pin connection. the backing on the motherboard will allow them to clip in, my gigabyte board is the same.

They are notched so you cant put them in wrong.

Indeed, those two 4 pins go in the 8 pin connector, #7 on the diagram, at least that's where I believed them to go. No problems so far. :D

The only thing flipping the power supply does, in terms of a problem, is moves the cords to the opposite side of the case that the compartment to run the chords through. So I was unable to make my case look nice and 'clean', but I think I was able to keep the cords neat as to not block the air flow.

The biggest problems i had when putting mine (I think you got the exact specs I did) together was arranging the power chords, and seating the heatsink properly.

Run your main power cables behind the motherboard tray instead of inside. if your case lets you.

Stuff spare cables into a spare 5.25" bay.

As suggested those 2 4pin connectors are indeed used as either a 4pin or together, an 8pin 12v cpu power connector. It all looks good, glad to see it's up and running. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0