• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leparc

ATi Catalyst Driver Problems...This Needs a sticky

298 posts in this topic

Just played 2.5 hrs with 10.1... No crashes. It's a great start but I'm not calling it just yet - too early... :D

I can't figure it out, I haven't had a lock up or crash or any adverse effect, still using the beta. Don't want to insult anybodies intelligence but only suggestion I can make to the guys who are locking up is make sure you remove ALL old files. You have to make sure "hide system files" is unchecked and then go into your "user" file and look for the file "appdata", under appdata are two folders named "local" and "roaming" there is an ati file in each, get rid of them. 6 hours straight wednesday night...

I can't figure it out' date=' I haven't had a lock up or crash or any adverse effect, still using the beta. Don't want to insult anybodies intelligence but only suggestion I can make to the guys who are locking up is make sure you remove ALL old files. You have to make sure "hide system files" is unchecked and then go into your "user" file and look for the file "appdata", under appdata are two folders named "local" and "roaming" there is an ati file in each, get rid of them. 6 hours straight wednesday night...[/quote']

Well then don't. It's not the user's job to know about HIDDEN files in the local or roaming folders. It's the uninstaller's job. You're expecting too much from an average computer user. You don call people stupid if they don't find hidden files from under %APPDATA%. Btw, you don't have to set anything visible, just type %APPDATA% (and hit enter) on your file explorer location bar to go "past" the hidden folders to the roaming etc. files.

Just chiming in now that I've subscribed.

ATI 5870, Windows 7 64 bit.

9.12 drivers would crash every 15 minutes to a couple of hours.

10.1 would crash every 15 minutes like clock work.

In a last ditch effort to get things working, I uninstalled all ATI software, made visible hidden files and folders (and system files), uninstalled all additional ATI files, ran Driver Sweeper and removed additional ATI files, rebooted in safe mode, ran Driver Sweeper again, and then installed the 8.7 RC2 drivers (technically released before Catalyst 10.1, but given that 10.1 contains 8.69 as its actual core drivers...).

I just played for 2 hours without incident, which prompted me to subscribe instead of letting the trial expire. The only other setting I changed between 10.1s and 8.7 core-driver-only was switching to the non-SSE2 executable. Hope this information helps others.

Just chiming in now that I've subscribed.

ATI 5870, Windows 7 64 bit.

9.12 drivers would crash every 15 minutes to a couple of hours.

10.1 would crash every 15 minutes like clock work.

In a last ditch effort to get things working, I uninstalled all ATI software, made visible hidden files and folders (and system files), uninstalled all additional ATI files, ran Driver Sweeper and removed additional ATI files, rebooted in safe mode, ran Driver Sweeper again, and then installed the 8.7 RC2 drivers (technically released before Catalyst 10.1, but given that 10.1 contains 8.69 as its actual core drivers...).

I just played for 2 hours without incident, which prompted me to subscribe instead of letting the trial expire. The only other setting I changed between 10.1s and 8.7 core-driver-only was switching to the non-SSE2 executable. Hope this information helps others.

My setup is the same as that except that I have two ATI 5970 in Crossfire.

I did exactly what you did and installed the 8.7 RC2 drivers on a system cleaned of all drivers. Was able to play without any problems yesterday but had my first lockup today ;(

At least I can CTRL-ALT-DEL to task manager and close the program rather than have to do a hard reset on my system.

Any other suggestions other than waiting for 1.31?

Now the playnet support tells me sometimes you can play up to 1 hour and in 1.31 not all the issues are resolved. Brand new rig and now I can't play at all. WTF people?

Since installing 10.1 I haven't had any crashes so far at all. Being playing hours straight. Perhaps I'm just lucky and there's a crash waiting just around the corner. My rig is:

1 Ati Radeon HD 5870 1GB, GDDR5, 256-bit, PCI-E, Dual DVI/HDMI/DP

1 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit FI DVD, OEM

1 Blu-Ray Combo, BC-08B1ST, Black, Bulk

1 Rampage II Extreme LGA1366, X58, DDR3. SLI & Cross

1 HAF 932 ATX-case, Black

1 6GB (3x2GB) Dominator GT i7 DDR3 1866 MHz (PC3-15000)

2 160GB X25-M G2 SSD, MLC, 2.5", SATA II, 34nm (RAID-0)

1 1200W ATX-PSU (PFC,80+,140+80FAN)

1 Core i7 950 3,06 GHZ, LGA1366, 8MB, Boxed

1 CPU Cooler NH-U12P SE2, LGA775/1156/1366

Mildly OCed to 3.7 GHz.

First of all' date=' this game will run fine with a 5 year old video card so buying a new nvidia card to play this game is ridiculous. Second, I have not had problems with any of the DX 9 or 10 games I have with my card, only this one. I played 6 hours again last night without a crash so problems are solved and have never had to send an ati card in for repairs. Why can't u install your drivers? If you explain, maybe I can help...[/quote']

I have experienced this problem before. When uninstalling ATI Catalyst (and drivers) the installer (Catalyst Installmanager) stops working when installing new software. Driver isnt a problem, i just do that manually. So thats why it isnt very urgent, but it so typicall, because i have had the same problem before with other OS's and cards.

Offcourse my old cards work fine with this game, but i cant stand slow pc's so I buy a new config every year. Unfortunatly this time it appears to be to modern for this game.

Offcourse other games work, however i dont like the other games :s

This is the only game i play, had Bf2 installed, wich didnt work with drivers before 9.12 but the game sucks bigtime.

Average run time now before crash is 7 minutes..........

Try downgrading the 3d-settings in CCC a bit and disable AA stuff.

This will work for some minutes or hours playtime.

I uninstalled everything related to ATI, rebooted, reinstalled 10.1 drivers.

Now, instead of the game freezing it just crashes to desktop.

All I get from CRS is smart *** responses through support tickets instead of any help. Don't hold your breath.

Here is a link to a Tom's Hardware posting yesterday indicating that ATI released a hotfix for the 10.1 Catalyst version which is supposed to help eliminate the crashes for those of us with 5800 series cards. Apparently this problem has not been limited to this particular game.

I am downloading the hotfix now (as I have a 5850), so do not know if it works or not. I can usually play for an hour or so before crashing, but sometimes when I do crash I get a brown screen which locks the computer up tight and requires a reboot. (Other times I can get task manager up and running so I can close the game down.)

Anyhow, here's the linky:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Grey-Screen-Lines-Fix,9604.html

By the way, if you have the 5700 series the articles indicates they are still working on a hotfix for those cards.

Just played a solid 2 hours without a crash since installing the hotfix. I was at times able to this before (just not consistently), so this means little yet. However, it is a positive note.

The solution for me not able to install Catalyst:

in CMD:

Go to "C:\ATI\BIN64\" type in "ATISetup.exe -Uninstall -output screen"

then type in "ATISetup.exe -Install -output screen"

This is for 64bit OS for 32bit OS you want BIN instead of BIN64.

Strange... I installed 10.1 for my (4850) including the CCC.

But the Driver information says I still got 9.12:

Driver Packaging Version 8.69-091211a-094292C-ATI

Catalyst™ Version 09.12

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 6.14.10.7039

2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{2E630968-E64A-428A-AFFA-3FC191357A44}/0000

Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0723

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9252

Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.1211.1547.28237

AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version 6.14.10.6238

Strange... I installed 10.1 for my (4850) including the CCC.

But the Driver information says I still got 9.12:

That's because ATI forgot to update the version number that is displayed on the driver printout from the CCC - according to Catalyst forums and twitter feed, that is a mistake on their part and you do indeed have the 10.1 Cats installed.

That's because ATI forgot to update the version number that is displayed on the driver printout from the CCC - according to Catalyst forums and twitter feed' date=' that is a mistake on their part and you do indeed have the 10.1 Cats installed.[/quote']

cheers

Well, I tried the ATI Hotfix, and it didn't do anything to avert my problem with crashing.

I still locked up hard after 15 minutes of playing.

However, I am happy - no wait - THRILLED!!! to report that turning off my FPS meter in game works!!! :)

Hitting the num-lock to turn it off just gave me two hours of uninterrupted game time. I could have kept playing I'm sure, but frankly I need to go chuck a fat pill and a coke down my neck and as I was well past 15 minutes (which is my usual record) so I figured I should come back here and report my success. :)

FINALLY I can play again!!!

Cheers!! :)

I have installed and removed CCC again (10.1), and the game keeps working, after i removed it. I can play for hours :) But nevertheless the Nvidia x58 rigg is on the planninglist. Catch ya in game.

I have a new Asus 5770 with the latest 10.1 CCC. Worked fine for hours tonight, no crashes. I run with the fps turned off. I just turn it on for a sec if I want to doublecheck once in a while.

The only hiccup was the same thing that happened with my old 4650, which is it stutters for a bit sometimes when the announcements come on (ex. "Xxx-depot has been captured by the enemy.").

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0