Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leparc

ATi Catalyst Driver Problems...This Needs a sticky

298 posts in this topic

Just wondering how everything is going with peoples drivers. I have a ATI Radeon 512mb 4850 card coming as part of a computer I ordered. I'm wondering which drivers offer the best FPS rates.

Regards...

I have a feeling that I don't incur such a big hit on my fps whilst looking at tress with 9.6. It seems to be the best driver from the 9.x series so far.

I have a feeling that I don't incur such a big hit on my fps whilst looking at tress with 9.6. It seems to be the best driver from the 9.x series so far.

Thanks for your input.

9.6 and the latest patch crashes game alot

winxp + 4850:mad:

I get a vpu error message saying driver cannot send commands to card or somerthing.

Ill post it here too. Windows 7 x64 and ati 9.7 drivers dont work. Without vista emulation mouse wont work ingame. With emulation it will give black screen when game should be loading. 9.6 works fine (with vista emulation).

Ill post it here too. Windows 7 x64 and ati 9.7 drivers dont work. Without vista emulation mouse wont work ingame. With emulation it will give black screen when game should be loading. 9.6 works fine (with vista emulation).

Running Windows7 64bit with Catalyst 9.7. No problems other then the stuck mouse.

I am running 2 x 4850 512mb cards with an XP system. I'm still using the

8.10 driver and CC version. Other than a never seen before graphics

anomaly, when I've exited the game the last few times, I'm able to run

anti-aliasing and other custom settings with no problems.

I'd like to run the new 9.7 version but won't until I hear it actually works.

Edited by Jimato

I am running 2 x 4850 512mb cards with an XP system. I'm still using the

8.10 driver and CC version. Other than a never seen before graphics

anomaly, when I've exited the game the last few times, I'm able to run

anti-aliasing and other custom settings with no problems.

I'd like to run the new 9.7 version but won't until I hear it actually works.

Im running 9.7....No probs atm

Im running 9.7....No probs atm

Not perfect. Get the odd map lag issue....LAAAGING LIKE A PIG Tonight....0 FPS

:mad:

Might be the problems in the other sticky

Edited by Leparc

Well I run Win7 x64 and i had the mousepointerbug and flagbug. But with the 8x drivers it works great. I use a CrossfireX setup (2048mb).

Information:

Driver Packaging Version 8.56.1-081104a-071877E-ATI

Catalyst™ Version 09.4

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.858

2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000

Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0630

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.8577

Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.0317.2131.36802

Not perfect. Get the odd map lag issue....LAAAGING LIKE A PIG Tonight....0 FPS

:mad:

Might be the problems in the other sticky

By map lag you mean that map gets reaaaly slow to respond to clicks has lot of white squares and pans very slowly? Had that too under Win XP. Under Win7 64 with its version of Catalyst 9.7 everything is fine. I can play for hours and hours and the only problem I ever get is "mission result pending message" once every 3 hours (I would say). But that looks to be CRS side problem and nothing that we can fix on our end.

Edited by elegance

I recently updated my ATI drivers (in an attempt to fix a performance issue), as a result the game now crashes after a few minutes of playing. No error messages or anything, the window just closes.

I'm using an ATI 4870 with driver version 8.64.

I recently updated my ATI drivers (in an attempt to fix a performance issue), as a result the game now crashes after a few minutes of playing. No error messages or anything, the window just closes.

I'm using an ATI 4870 with driver version 8.64.

Sorry for the doublepost, the driver is actually version 9.8, which seems to be the latest available driver.

The game is now unplayable for me. There are either random CTDs (game closes down), freezes (due to smart heap error), CTHLs (despite using netcode2 and all that stuff), performance issues (due to broken tree textures) and gameplay issues (due to vehicle engines sometimes producing sounds even though they are turned off). The Rats should be ashamed of themselves, this is definitely the worst version of this game I have played in years.

Cat 9.8 drivers completely hosed this game for me... random ctd's, memory errors, some kind of C++ runtime library errors... rolled back to previous drivers, problem solved.

Agreed - Cat 9.8 doesn't play well with the game, game crashes to desktop & out of memory errors. Rolled back to 9.7 and all is well again. (ATI 4850 video card).

I hope one of you brave souls can try the 9.8 drivers with 1.30.3 to see if it is still a problem. I'm not going to be able to try that today.

I hope one of you brave souls can try the 9.8 drivers with 1.30.3 to see if it is still a problem. I'm not going to be able to try that today.

I tried the 9.8 driver again but the game crashed a few minutes after spawning in, just a CTD without warning. This type of crash only occurs when using the 9.8 driver, never had this particular problem with any other ati driver.

This may be unrelated, but while waiting for the server to unlock I noticed that my graphics card (Ati 4870) was at 70-90% activity while I just looked at the theater map and brigade selection. That seems a bit weird.

Edited by mrfancyp

Getting loads of Smartheap errors, before and after the patch. Seems to happen mostly at despawn as it loads the user interface.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Stock Speed

ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard

G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2 1066mhz

XFX ATI HD4870 512MB Stock Speeds (Catalyst 9.8)

Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 64bit

I have been reading about the 9.8 drivers causing issues so will try rolling them back this weekend.

Thanks guys. Does this look right (for those who have mentioned their card)?

+ Win7 64bit: Fine with 9.5, 9.6, 9.7 or 9.8 (elegance)

+ Catalyst 9.8 = Crash (borgfan)

+ Catalyst 9.7 = Fine

+ Catalyst 9.6 = Fail (leparc)

+ Catalyst 9.3 = Fine (dkamerad)

+ Catalyst 8.10 = Fine (jimato)

+ Catalyst 9.8 = Crash (mrfancyp, blitz92, tomipt99,

+ Catalyst 9.7 = Fine

+ Catalyst 9.8 = Fine (kalegek, ses)

Here's some data on these cards I found. (FR = fill rate, bw = bandwidth, Mpx = MPixel, Mtx = MTexels, Arch = chip)

Core 		Pixel FR	Text. FR	Mem Spd		Mem bw		Arch4890	850 MHz		13600 Mpx/s	34000 Mtx/s	975 MHz		124.8 GB/s	RV7904870	750 MHz		12000 Mpx/s	30000 Mtx/s	900 MHz		115.0 GB/s	RV7704850	625 MHz		10000 Mpx/s	25000 Mtx/s	1000 MHz	64.0 GB/s	RV770 Pro

The only signficant difference between the 4890 and 4870 is the chip. The 4850 is close except for memory bandwidth, but this chip is similar to the 4870. That may explain why the latest drivers work fine for the latest GPU - it has a new chip.

Edited by BLOO

4850, works with 9.3

If I'm feeling bold I'll try upgrading to 9.7 today.

But, with 1.30.3 I did have my first crash yesterday. Brought up the map right when I spawned in and was greeting with a white screen, hit Esc to try and respawn but CTD'd before the time got down.

4830 and Win7 64bit. No problems whatsoever with 9.5, 9.6, 9.7 or 9.8. Mind you I have nothing but the game installed on the Win7 partition.

Well i had a 4850 before and never had problems with the ati drivers .. Updated every month.

With the 4890 i tested 9.5 9.6 and 9.8 No problems.

Lots of problems people have are related to memory issue`s, bad compatible with mainboard. Same with my p5k3 from asus. With 2 gig it`s fine, but with 3 you notice a little difference.

I still got audio problems when playing for a long time. Lots of sounds will dissapear (footsteps and shots).

Got an Auzentech X-fi forte.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0