Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Funky Infantry Turning Bug Thread - Need Details

20 posts in this topic

If you are seeing the weird stutter happening when you play Infantry and turn - please post details here. Please don't just post "It happens to me" messages, we need details.

* mac model and cpu

* RAM

* OS version

* Video card

* recent updates (list from /Library/Receipts)

* frequency (all the time, certain days,etc, be detailed)

* game settings or changes to game settings

This bug seems to happen online and offline, and even on linux under wine, despite no changes to the app code. THere has to be some common issue. This only seems to appear in the last couple weeks.

The only way we can figure out what is wrong is lots of details to see if there is a common one.

EDIT: If you can, while the game is running get the memory usage in Activity Monitor or the command line. I noticed that when the game used up all physical ram it got really stuttery on moving.

If you get the problem, you might quit and re login to the mac, then launch the game and see if it still happens.

I posted in the pre-existing thread but I'll post again here to help keep track of reports.

* mac model and cpu: MacPro 2009 2.93Ghz Quad core Xeon W3540

* RAM: 3X1GB 1066Mhz

* OS version: 10.5.6 (with and without 2009 security update)

* Video card: ATI 4870 512MB

* recent updates (list from /Library/Receipts): Happens without any updates (installed OS on another partition from the disc that come with the MP)

* frequency (all the time, certain days,etc, be detailed): Ever since I tried it the first time (about 2 weeks ago) and always happens. Happens using the PC version with crossover (those seems a little smoother). The worse the FPS the more it jerks. At high FPS it is smoother but still slow mouse movement.

* game settings or changes to game settings: Dumped the .xml file, tried best settings and fastest settings. No change at all.

Contents of the receipts folder:

picture6i.png

picture7lsb.png

More like this! Is it only new macs? Certain video cards? Only yall can help prevent mac sputters.

* mac model and cpu:

Macbook Pro 17" (circa Feb 2007), 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo, 100GB 7200 RPM drive

* RAM:

3GB RAM (667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

* OS version:

OS X 10.5.6

* Video card:

Radeon X1600, 256MB RAM

* recent updates (list from /Library/Receipts):

(all except last one were on Mar 29, 2009, 8:31PM; last one was at 3pm that day)

ProAppsEffects.pkg

Helium.pkg

IMXCodec.pkg

AppleProRes422.pkg

AppleHDVCodec.pkg

Color1.0.4Update.pkg

Compressor3.0.5Update.pkg

FinalCutPro6.0.5Update.pkg

SoundtrackPro202Update.pkg

CinemaToolsUpdate4.0.1.pkg

DVDStudioPro4.2.1Update.pkg

Motion302Update.pkg

MacBook & MacBook Pro Fan Control Installer.pkg

* frequency (all the time, certain days,etc, be detailed)

I seem to get it all the time, both online and offline, though I've been playing much less inf lately as a result, so there are some days I don't play inf at all and don't know for sure if it's still borked. Every time I go back, it still is.

* game settings or changes to game settings:

None that I know of or remember when it first appeared. After it appeared, I started going through *everything* to see if I can fix it, but nothing at all seemed to change it at all. I'm not back to about the same exact settings I had formerly (1680 x 1050 32bit).

I think that we might should be including mouse info also. What mouse/how it is connected/what brand. I recently updated my router (Netagear Rangemax), around the time that this bug began, and it resulted in a slight increase in FPS. Naturally, I focused on the router, and hooked up my old router, but the same bug was apparent. Macfixit.com had an article on Mac Books and jerky mouse movements, so maybe our issue is the result of some kind of fix apple introduced to fix this issue?

Dual 2.5 GHz PPC G5'

2GB DDR SDRAM

ATI 9800XT

Updates: all current

Frequency: All the time.

Game Settings: Tried all the usual stuff, no difference.

Mouse: wireless/logitech mx revo

* mac model and cpu: Powermac G5 (rev1) Dual 2GHz

* RAM: 3GB

* OS version: 10.4.11

* Video card: ATI X800

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Mar 12 20:10 RAWCameraUpdate.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Mar 12 19:59 CoreFP.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Mar 12 19:59 AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Mar 12 19:59 iTunesAccess.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Mar 12 19:59 iTunesX.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Feb 15 16:59 SecUpd2009-001PPC.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Feb 15 16:59 JavaForMacOSX10.4Release8.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Jan 29 23:56 iDVD_703.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Jan 29 23:56 QuickTime76_Tiger.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Dec 17 00:17 SecUpd2008-008PPC.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Dec 17 00:17 Safari3.2.1Ti.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Dec 4 20:52 RAID_Admin151.pkg

drwxrwxrwx 3 admin wheel 102 Nov 25 22:40 wwiiol129022129023.pkg

drwxrwxrwx 3 admin wheel 102 Nov 25 22:36 wwiiol129021129022.pkg

drwxrwxrwx 3 admin wheel 102 Nov 23 11:24 wwiiol129020129021.pkg

drwxrwxrwx 3 admin wheel 102 Nov 23 11:22 wwiiol0000129020.pkg

* frequency (all the time, certain days,etc, be detailed): Appears to be present all the time, offline and online.

* game settings or changes to game settings: Have tried netcode2 on/off, mouse sensitivity, low/high res, no changes made the problem go away.

Here's the list of updates I have from a slightly older clone of my system:

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Jan 29 23:57 RAWCameraUpdate.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Jan 29 23:56 iDVD_703.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Jan 29 23:56 QuickTime76_Tiger.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Dec 17 00:17 SecUpd2008-008PPC.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Dec 17 00:17 Safari3.2.1Ti.pkg

drwxrwxr-x 3 root admin 102 Dec 4 20:52 RAID_Admin151.pkg

drwxrwxrwx 3 admin wheel 102 Nov 25 22:40 wwiiol129022129023.pkg

drwxrwxrwx 3 admin wheel 102 Nov 25 22:36 wwiiol129021129022.pkg

drwxrwxrwx 3 admin wheel 102 Nov 23 11:24 wwiiol129020129021.pkg

drwxrwxrwx 3 admin wheel 102 Nov 23 11:22 wwiiol0000129020.pkg

The problem is the same with this version too.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that rotating left to right and right to left are equally jerky until I activate mouse look. During mouse look, right to left is noticeably smoother than left to right. I tried from several locations offline (looking straight up, straight down and at the horizon) and the result was always the same. Move the mouse slowly and smoothly and it's very apparent.

Here's my setup:

1.83Ghz Mac Mini

1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)

80GB hard drive

750GB external hard drive

OS X 10.5.6

GMA950 (Graphics)

Wireless Mighty Mouse

Wireless keyboard

Recent Updates: I'll post my library receipts when I get home from work

Frequency: Check once a week

Game Settings: Will post when I get home

Well I'll add my mouse info, but it's not the mouse.

Logitech MX310: Affected (main mouse). Connected to keyboard via USB. Also tried it connected directly to the front of the machine, no change.

Apple Mighty Mouse: Affected, actually seems a little worse. Connected to keyboard and machine via USB.

My mouse/mice (both are effected):

-Logitech MX Revolution wireless mouse, antenna connected via USB

-Logitech M-RBB93 wireless mouse, bluetooth

* mac model and cpu : 1.9 GHz PowerPC G5

* RAM : 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM

* OS version : 10.4.11

* Video card : (intergrated) ATI Radeon X600 Pro:

* recent updates (list from /Library/Receipts)

* frequency (all the time, certain days,etc, be detailed) : all the time with infantry online/training and offline. Have not tried with vehicles but will try tonight.

* game settings or changes to game settings : Settings sets for best performance at 1152x720

My system has not changed for the past year (apart from one or two OS updates) when I used to play this game and while I did have low but playable FPS I never had this stuttering like now.

This bug may have been fixed today - it also happens on win apparently so they could reproduce it.

Cool! I just tested the mouse thing on my G5. It is really really bad and jittery on it. There is no way in heck it was like this before or I would have never ever ever dreamt of playing infantry.

The last time I had played though was around christmas for the welcome back promotion and to try the new bug fixes (mainly the rudder fix). So whatever caused this happened between then and March 20th (around when I tried the game on the new system).

This bug may have been fixed today - it also happens on win apparently so they could reproduce it.

I just came from playing and it definitely wasn't fixed. I did notice it was more intermittent than usual though. Sometimes it would be fine, sometimes it would be horrendous...

lol, they have to release a patch to fix it. He means they might have found the solution to the problem.

And the on/off of it is related to FPS. It is worse when you look in a direction that gives you low FPS.

Yeah fixed as in "fixed in the closed beta for 1.30". Once its a live beta you can see for yourself.

awesome, thanks. Any word on what was causing it?

Funny how since it also affected windows computers it was fixed so quickly... I wonder how many versions it would have taken if it was isolated to the mac users... :rolleyes:

YAY!! Thanks, ahwulf, for the attention to this bug, and to everyone else for all the info! I never would have thought just over a week ago that it was more than just myself that was seeing this, but I'm glad it was else who knows when and if it'd ever be fixed! :)

Well to be honest all 3 client devs work primarily in Windows, so having it happen there is much easier to debug. KFSONE has an iMac but he mostly does server stuff and the occasional mac fix.

We still have to verify it does indeed fix it in the mac version, once its in beta. I can't really test it as my mac is so sputtery anyway it just blended in the with the general syrup.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0