• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbomber

anyone getting issues with directional sound?

36 posts in this topic

It's a relief to see this reported by so many other people.

Sound is fooked. Today a Pz3 snuck up on me from behind and ran me over.

All of the above again for me.

The plane engines are the most noticable and the tank directional thing.

I've been playing where if I hear a sound of and Enemy Tank or rifle I scan 360 degs looking for it cause I figure it's close.

The game is really unplayable now. It doesn't seem to be the OpenAL but rather the way the code was written for OpenAL.

I did try looking at the multitextures the day the patch was released but didn't see any improvement so I turned then back off and haven't looked at them since.

I was also getting the weird "footsteps on wet sand" sounds on one of the zeelands when I was pretty far from the beach. It seemed like the beach had been brought up further than it really was.

I used to reccomenfd this game based on the sound and the way one fights by listening. Now I can't reccomend it at all.

I don't think this is happening for all of you, but maybe it will help somebody:

There is a bug in OSX 10.4.1 whereby the stereo balance skews to the left when you use the volume keys during high CPU.

Go to System Preferences... -> Sound and make sure the balance is still even.

I did try looking at the multitextures the day the patch was released but didn't see any improvement so I turned then back off and haven't looked at them since.

jnmoulin, for me the patch did fix the grainy texture. I am able to turn multi-textures back on (thank god) and it looks good again - back to normal. I noticed that as soon as I tried it the ground looked kinda grainy for about 30 seconds or so (maybe my imagination), but as soon as I looked out into the open then scanned around, it looked fine. I would maybe try turning it back on again, then restarting the game.

For me, having multi-textures off was horrible.

Something to try at least... hang in there man.

Fenny. I'm on 10.3.9 and that doesn't seem to be happening to me. I've checked the sound preferences in my control panel and the balance is where it should be. I run all sorts of other programs only WW2 Online has the stereo and sound all over the place.

Jack.

I'll try turning textures on again. But even with them off I'm CTD on the brigade screen I'm getting those 3 fps hits after 30 mins in the game when I have the chat window on, the sounds are all screwed up, including that bad sample which causes the buzzing which I've experienced for a year now.

And the whole system of brigades is simply childish and ridiculous.

It took me a year to build up my rank to General in the infantry and major in both Brit and French Air Forces.

I can at least post missions in the French Infantry, but I'm a SGT now in the Air Forces and there's usually often no missions up.

I CTD when I'm clicking around the brigades to try to find a mission where I can spawn into the town we're allegedly attacking.

I'm just not going to play for a while.

I quit my squad and I may simply quit the game if they don't fix this nonsense.

Try this: Spawn in Verdun and run to the East. All of your sounds seem like they are coming from your spawn point.

For example. When a plane is flying over the AB, it sounds like it is directly overhead...even if you are 500-100 meters away. Same thing with trucks and tanks. Very very odd.

Bottom line: you move, but your sound point of reference doesn't.

UPDATE: That isn't quite correct. If you travel, your sound point of reference will jump. This is most obvious in an aircraft. As you take off, you can hear your engines "fall behind." As you fly, you will hear yuour engines from a new (and seemingy random) new position. If you fly over a FB, you will be able to hear AAA/opels/etc....even as you fly away...and you should not be able to hear the opels...

Very odd... Please, CRS, fix this...the situational awareness of this game is rough enough without meaningless sound data.

Try this: Spawn in Verdun and run to the East. All of your sounds seem like they are coming from your spawn point.

For example. When a plane is flying over the AB, it sounds like it is directly overhead...even if you are 500-100 meters away. Same thing with trucks and tanks. Very very odd.

Bottom line: you move, but your sound point of reference doesn't.

UPDATE: That isn't quite correct. If you travel, your sound point of reference will jump. This is most obvious in an aircraft. As you take off, you can hear your engines "fall behind." As you fly, you will hear yuour engines from a new (and seemingy random) new position. If you fly over a FB, you will be able to hear AAA/opels/etc....even as you fly away...and you should not be able to hear the opels...

Very odd... Please, CRS, fix this...the situational awareness of this game is rough enough without meaningless sound data.

Gren,

That was a very accurate description. I was actually straffing one day and I could hear the death cry of the jackbooted German infantryman after I was already 600 to 700 feet in the air.

The only difference I would say that I'm experiencing is that I don't hear my plane's engine sounds when I'm starting up. The only plane sounds I can hear are guns, and the engine when I'm going in and out of a dive. I'm also hearing a lot of sampling error clicking. The kind you'd expect to hear if you were playing something back at the wrong sample rate. For example when I hear a rifle shot close by me I hear a click after the shot.

Concur.

The sound is profoundly screwed up. Direction and volume are fubared.

Engine sounds in tanks are wacked. You can barely hear tank engines.

Aircraft engines are barely audible and "spin down" cyclicly.

I can hear some vehicles that are out of visual sight, but cannot hear others which are next to me.

Variations in sound prefrences do not seem to affect performance.

This makes it very difficult to play.

I am new to WWii Online and my experience is very similar to what you have described. Sometimes I can hear my tank and sometimes nothing! And every now and again there will be a huge roaring that blasts my ear drums without any units or action nearby to show for it.

I hope what I've been reading about version 1.19 being bad for Macs is true, b/c I have a 1.6 G5 iMac (GeForce 5200 Ultra) with all the settings turned off or to minimum and my frame rates are still horrible and now the game looks crappy as well. :( I'll play some more while I have a trial but I won't subscribe at all until the next version or something.

As far as the sound goes, though, I will change the sound 3D quality back up to "high" and turn OFF "Force Stereo" as one response in this thread suggested above and see how that goes.

We have fixed the fps bug (no patch yet tho) and identified the sound problem as a fix to a sound crash where the fix was worse than the bug. It should be all back to normal next week.

We have fixed the fps bug (no patch yet tho) and identified the sound problem as a fix to a sound crash where the fix was worse than the bug. It should be all back to normal next week.

Three cheers for ahwulf!

dosboss

Oh...thank god. I was really getting tired of IIIhs sneaking up on my infantry guy. There is nothintg worse then running after a tank that is nowhere near where you think it is. S!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0