Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eagleyes

What joystick actually works?

19 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am on a Mac and bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick to do some flying.

But when I steer to the left or right I always end up in an unstoppable loop. The same for using the joystick to control tanks and such... For example, if I use the joystick to move the turret to the left, it continues in an unstoppable spin.

It drives me nuts :(

Any idea what joystick might actually work?

Is this a new joystick or have you had one in the past that worked OK? Do you have another game where the stick works OK?

Test it with http://alphaomega.software.free.fr/joystickandgamepadtester/Joystick%20And%20Gamepad%20Tester.html

Did you ever use a beta version in the past?

This is a brand new joystick. I haven't used this type before. This is the 1st and only joystick I have tried with BE. I don't have any other games that require a joystick, so I don't know if it works OK with other games.

I will test the joystick... Thanks.

I have the Saitek x52 and it works fine. There's a few buttons that I believe aren't supported without the install software (which isn't made for Mac, of course), but I think it's a couple of the really obscure ones that aren't really practical anyway. Everything else works 100%.

All joysticks are support by Apple HID code; the app just has to decide how to map the inputs, HID does the actually device support. Values for buttons and sliders etc all map to -127 to 128 or 0 - 255. Do make sure you've run the joystick calibration in the launcher app (settings). You will have to quit the launcher after you run and save the settings (current bug in 129) before going on line.

All joysticks are support by Apple HID code; the app just has to decide how to map the inputs' date=' HID does the actually device support. Values for buttons and sliders etc all map to -127 to 128 or 0 - 255. Do make sure you've run the joystick calibration in the launcher app (settings). You will have to quit the launcher after you run and save the settings (current bug in 129) before going on line.[/quote']

Thanks... I didn't know I should have calibrated the joystick. Now that I have, it seems to work properly.

Calibration adjusts the mapping of control movements to the actual values your joystick is sending out. Since the stick can vary over time, its good to redo it every once in a while, usually if you notice consistent drifting. I wish the calibration was inside the app instead of the launcher.

Calibration adjusts the mapping of control movements to the actual values your joystick is sending out. Since the stick can vary over time' date=' its good to redo it every once in a while, usually if you notice consistent drifting. I wish the calibration was inside the app instead of the launcher.[/quote']

That makes sense...

The only thing I don't get is this: before the calibration I tried to fly the ME109E1 a few times with little success. But after the calibration this plane is the only one that still gives a strong consistent drift (that isn't correctable - resulting in crashes every time).

All the other planes are OK after the calibration (I didn't try any of those before the calibration).

???

I have been using the logitech x 3d pro without problems on mac. Sometimes before lifting I needed to move the JS all axes fully to make sure it is centered. I had some fun experiences if I forgot to do that...:D

You always have to trim the plane once airborne, i usually use J and L to get the plane to fly straight without input. AFAIK this is realistic for that generation of planes. Some planes seems to drift more than others without trim.

I have been using the logitech x 3d pro without problems on mac. Sometimes before lifting I needed to move the JS all axes fully to make sure it is centered. I had some fun experiences if I forgot to do that...:D

Yeah, funny for sure ;)

Do you move the JS over all axes while seated in the plane (before starting up the engine), or before you launch the game (calibration in the settings menu of the game launcher)?

You always have to trim the plane once airborne' date=' i usually use J and L to get the plane to fly straight without input. AFAIK this is realistic for that generation of planes. Some planes seems to drift more than others without trim.[/quote']

You mean trim to counter the engine torque?

The ME109E1 has some heavy engine torgue already during take-off. If I let it go without interfering, it drifts off to one side (I think the right side). Usually when I am in the air, things stabilize without the need to trim.

Yeah, funny for sure ;)

Do you move the JS over all axes while seated in the plane (before starting up the engine), or before you launch the game (calibration in the settings menu of the game launcher)?

In game, at any given time. It will recenter it. For me at least.

OK, I tried a few things... calibration and re-centering it while playing, but the Extreme 3D Pro continues to give inconsistent results... crash after crash :(

I have decided to buy a Saitek X58... Maybe this will give more consistent results.

Anybody using the Saitek X58 on Mac OS 10.4.11?

OK, I tried a few things... calibration and re-centering it while playing, but the Extreme 3D Pro continues to give inconsistent results... crash after crash :(

I have decided to buy a Saitek X58... Maybe this will give more consistent results.

Anybody using the Saitek X58 on Mac OS 10.4.11?

I got the x52 Pro... It works like a miracle... turns out the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro was "crooked" (which is kind of bad since I bought it brand new).

Anyway... thx everybody for helping me out ;)

Case closed :D

This fixes the logitech problem:

I have the logitech 3d pro, and every time I log in to the game, before I take off, I have to push the stick to every axis and twist the rudder as well.

This seems to re-cal the stick and then it works fine.

It must be some sort of bug, because I have to do this when ever I log into the game.

Not the best stick to use, but it works.

Hi,

I am on a Mac and bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick to do some flying.

But when I steer to the left or right I always end up in an unstoppable loop. The same for using the joystick to control tanks and such... For example, if I use the joystick to move the turret to the left, it continues in an unstoppable spin.

It drives me nuts :(

Any idea what joystick might actually work?

I've owned 3 Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick's in the last 3 1/2 years and I know that problem well. It's the RZ axis (twist part) that's bad. Usually it takes almost a year to fail but yours didn't seem to want to wait.

There's only one temporary fix that ever worked fairly consistently for me, and that's to unplug then replug in the USB cable then re-launch the game. Don't use keyboard USB slot as that sometimes results in wonky behavior too for some reason.

This year I finally got sick and tired of replacing joysticks and bought a CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Pedals–then found out my size 14 feet don't fit the Pro Pedals very good. The Fighterstick is wonderful, but without the rudder it cuts into the experience, so I bought the CH Products Eclipse Yoke as it has built in thumb paddles that can be used as rudder controls. Now I'm a happy camper!

The CH Products joysticks are super accurate and dependable–but a bit expensive! I've got a barely used Fighterstick and Pro-Pedals you can get at a discount if your feet aren't any bigger than 12!

I have a thrustmaster topgun afterburner II and its been pretty decent for 3-4 years. Basically everything I've ever bought from logitech broke too quickly. Saiteks were OK but didn't last as long as this AB2 has.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0