Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kidd27

2004 AAR The Luxembourg Mole PART I

6 posts in this topic

The Arlon FB proved to be the gateway to a very harrowing 5.5 hour mission...as the Luxembourg Mole. *Dramatic music here*

This AAR will take you through each of the 15 caps along the way. As well as the importance of maps, you'll need one to follow along..;)

With my Volume turned up more than a couple notches on my headset, and TeamSpeak turned off, I was attempting to gain an audio advantage in building to building combat. I ensure all was working with my newly acquired LMG. I take a NNW Approach into town, entering at the NW corner of Luxembourg. First instinct was to take the N RR cp, which was in plain site. Recon showed no signs of life, or what was yet to come. Luxembourg had just had her FB's opened by the Allies, not more than a handful on either side was privy to this.

EWS was now going off in LUX as I sprinted south of the N RR, deciding not to deal with the AI, that contrary to popular belief shoots through the RR concrete step to kill you. As well, I wanted to avoid cutting off the south part of lux to an escape route, as EI will surely be spawning at any one and possible all, mersch, echernach and Arlon cps, as these are all within relative proximity to one another.

I Decided to take a spawn point first, Mersch CP, NNE Lux was my target.

All was quiet after a brief recon at Mersch cp, I planned on capping and heading due South and "split the D" so to speak between the echernach and Grevenmacher cps, to which Ei would be making their way north to Recap Mersch. It is interesting to know there was a fine cafe, which remained open, even though shells were now being heard in the distance.

The deed done, I head due south as planned, Central Park will be my next stop. The Brewery is closest, but not the target. Remich Depot is the only spawnable in Central park Lux, capping that will free me up to cap some more C Park flags and get the hell out of dodge. I'll grab a pint at the Brewery on my way back.

Remich cp, located in the se corner of central park, goes off without a hitch; in the process another flag in LUX goes allied. I knew by the sounds of distant fire that the Allies were in attempt to cap a spawnable. Longway and Arlon are the cps most coveted in Lux at the moment, and no place for the Luxembourg Mole.

Since I?m unsure what flag has been capped allied, I decide the beer must wait, as disappointed as I am, I trudge on to the Luxembourg city flag, in the center of central park, a quick cap allows me time to plan the next move. The Mersch cp has not yet been recapped, but im sure there are EI on the way n of me, as well I assume an EI presence planning a departure from the S AB which is due S from the Remich CP, if not already under way. The Munitions factory on the sw corner of C Park will serve as my exit to the sw, to follow up with a cap of the Machine works, deep in the middle of the southern part of the LUX "C".

I hear a distant PZ engine from the SAB, as I make my way to the Munitions factory. It starts to scream closer as I duck in through the murder hole on the e side of the munitions, skillfully avoiding the AI, the cap is completed with the ever growing sound of what I thought originally was a PZ, was a 251 now watching diligently, the newly capped Allied Munitions factory. I sneak out the s murderhole, desperately knowing I needed to get out of that AB, or be forced to take shelter in a factory, and wait it out. The last wasn't an option.

The plan for the Machine works, SW of my current position, hiding in some shrubbery s of the Munitions was still on target. The 251 buzzed about the munitions factory in an attempt to locate me, and to avoid becoming victim of a snipers bullet. That strategy did indeed keep him alive, I took aim at his MG gunner and a couple shots later, I concluded time was of the essence if I wanted to keep a sense of SA of where the NME would be coming from, and to where they would be going.

The Machine Works should be vacated, I need to keep an eye SW of it, as the Esch depot is fairly close, and surely active now, being the only spawnable on the sw side of LUX, and the text reading the Allies had just captured the Lonway spawnable, to its north. My first encounter with EI, Maj Gen Allram, fell to a single LMG round, just outside the Factory, he never saw it coming. It was however, quite enough to persuade me not to attempt a cap of the Machine Works.

This is where we separate the Moles from the mice. A Mole's job is to occupy the time, and therefore manpower of the opposing side. For every German chasing me, was one less rallying a PZIIIH a town back of the front line. I know going in, I face Germany's most highly dedicated, and loyal. I know they will be equipped with maps, you don?t chase moles in Luxembourg without a map, or at least, not very well. Who else would spend the time hunting moles and recapping lost cps, many times under fire, with the mounting stress of a sniper's bullet around each corner. These are the soldiers the Mole intends to keep off the front line. With that said, I know an EI will return to the Machine works, I know, he'll no doubt spawn at the Esch depot. My map shows that just aint enough time to still get into the walled Cp, spend the 2 painfully slow minutes capping, and get out in time as to guarantee me not running into Maj Gen Allram again. The Mole acknowledges he is successfully tying up precious manpower, he doesn?t have to watch it happen.

With my route to the N through C Park cut off, and now the munitions seemingly a wise decision not to cap, my only alternative seemed to be the Thionville cp, the trek ESE began. It concluded with an uneventful cap of Everlange? hmmm, renamed apparently. Non-the-less, The PZ engines were all about now, and opel audio was now a constant. An Opel fired up at the S AB, just to the NE of the Everlange/Thionville Cp, and I knew it was time to take my leave....

cont...

Squadies were in town now, a good Mole knows not to broadcast his caps in progress over the general channels, only after the cap, do I announce immediately the Allied minor victory. I have kept them abreast of my progress, and had seen some favorable tag colours, although only for brief periods glimpses, and from what I could tell, in the distance. CPs were now being flipped back and forth, and any advantage I once held in SA was now very much diminished. Back to the Machine Works, the time away should have been sufficient as to discourage any EI, still lingering from my last encounter.

Machine Works is quiet, the cap goes smooth and I've decided during the cap, Moving back north through C Park is my best option, leaving the Longway spawnable to defend itself. I approach the Munitions Factory, from the SW, as a direct s approach exposes you to the AI in the Munitions Compound. I crawl through the same s murder hole, that I had made my escape through almost an hour ago, as I rest on the other side, behind the comfortable mound of a fuel depot and the s wall, Text from a squad member, Redpup, voices her displeasure of heading to cap the same Munitions factory I was now in. I am still unaware of her location when I hear the footsteps and the unmistakable sound of EI SMg fire close. Redpup, also a LMG, crawls through the s murder hole to my position. I keep a vigilant eye for the ei, although knowing we are at a distinct disadvantage if we are spotted first. fortunately luck was on my side for now, as the EI sprinted around the W side of the Fuel Depot, standing the length of the depot and raising my weapon from the hip, I fired and hit my target. Brig Gen Pwor was felled by a gifted bullet. Redpup was watching s of the Factory through the murderhole, when I announced the ei ded, I left her to cap the flag and retreat back south, as I made my way n to the brewery. (she's a minor anyway, and could not appreciate the tour of the Beer palace as much as I would)

The plan was to cap the Brewery and head back to the Mersch depot...where it all began. Smooth as silk, as I announce the liberation of thousands of Liters of cold Brew! I grab a couple travelers to go. No doubt Ei could be anywhere at this point. I know the cap of the Brewery would be dealt with swiftly, and not knowing if the Remich cp was still in Allied hands or not, C Park was no longer a safe place to be. I "split the D" headed N, past both the grevenmacher depot to my right, and the echerncach depot to my left.

The transition goes well, Logistically everything was going fairly smooth, I was able to keep a step ahead of the nme, granted the chaos of a spawnable in the SW part of lux, guaranteed the majority of the gram forces would be combating in a concentrated area. Although, the couple of close calls and the constant roar of opel and pz engines told me my lead was diminishing, and fervor at which EA and friendly alike were engaging told me that things were going to stay like this for a bit. A cap at Mersch, and then a break at that little cafe I mentioned, was in order.

I had the soup de jour. it wasn?t that good, but I tipped well anyway. An hour of relaxing at the Cafe, seemed too short but had decided it was time to head out again. The 8 previous caps were nothing more than a stat now, all had been recapped, and the Allies were forced out of the Longway spawnable. However, the relief the Germans received on capping back the spawnable, was no doubt masked by the fact Luxembourg still remained contested after 3 hours. I announce my return to my squadies, with the cap of the now very familiar Mersch Cp.

The worn path through I had carved moving through the Echernach and Grevenmacher Cp?s was very recognizable to me now. Even with a map it is extremely important to keep an eye on buildings, their relation to churches or other landmarks. Anything that will help the Mole orient himself, becomes very useful when he doesn?t have the luxury of looking at a map. I choose the path of least resistance, straight down to the Brewery then the City Cp. I figure I can blow them both and be back down to SW C Park at the Munitions factory before any threat from the Remich Cp arrived. I must confess, I get a kick out of announcing ?I got this round boys! The Brewery is once again safe in Allied hands?.

Sure as rain, I grab another couple travelers on my way out of the Brewery and south to the city cp. This one made me a tad nervous the first time I was by here, It sits in the very center of central park, at the crossroads, and no repairs were made to the fully blown building since my last visit 2 ½ hours ago. Well, that?s the government for yaw. I finish the cap of the city flag along with one of the pints liberated minutes ago, the other I leave on the table for my most tenacious adversary. The race to the Munitions Factory latrine was on!

I run out of the city flag in full sprint, staying in buildings and out of sight, is the name of the game here. The Mole stays close to the inside wall, and away from the doorways while running through buildings. Never exposing himself to multiple flanks for any period of time, the city flag afforded me neither. I caught the attention of an EI, headed from the Remich cp, with obvious intentions of recapping the brewery, but now with a juicier target in mind. I retreated to the buildings west of the city cp, still on the north side of the road that splits C Park into north and south. I hoof it west hidden by the buildings, no intentions of crossing the road south to my seemingly trivial latrine objective, in fear of verifying my position to the nme, or worse?(more dramatic music)

The unexpected encounter had left me in a bit of a quandary, to my due west out of central park lay the Central AB, to it?s north, my nw, the Arlon CP once again spawnable after losing the Arlon FB to an Axis assault sometime during my tour, it had been recaptured somewhere between Mersch and the Brewery. The option to go south once I was out of the park was no better, Longway Depot was as hot as ever. Really, the decision to head north to the echernach cp was made by as soon as I made the Brewery my first cap, instead of Remich.

I reasoned that any EI headed to the Mersch cp from Echernach would be moving away from me anyway, there was still an increasing awareness that I could run into an allied flag, which is the Mole?s ?friendly fire? Logistically traversing a city the size of Luxembourg, and keeping a rhythm in the captures is important to SA. Breaking that rhythm disrupts the ?one-step-ahead? posture that is crucial to every Mole?s sortie. I remained unmolested all the way to the echernach Cp.

cont...

Even after the successful liberation, I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, the psychology of a 4 hour Mole mission along with the stress of being corralled into a part of Luxembourg I wasn?t planning on, all started to factor in. To my NE was the Mersch depot, my due W is the spawnable Arlon, NW is the N RR, but being as that was the most convenient way in from the Arlon FB, I wasn?t taking a chance that wasn?t going to be Allied, or in the very least have EI activity, on top of which, with the Echernach cp now Allied, a cap of the N RR would bring EI from all directions. I shook my head and headed back South to the Munitions factory in C Park. Assuming the EI that had chased me out of C park had by now, recapped and had found bigger fish to fry, or in the very least found my token of appreciation for a game well played, and had wet his thirst enough to hang out at the brewery for awhile. A quick recon shows up nothing, and the Munitions cp once again flies a French flag.

Once again, I crawl through the s murderhole, and feel a little better about things again, I was back on track headed towards the Machine works, the fire continued, sometimes it seemed closer. Now through C Park and headed through the buildings, with my confidence of knowing the route bordering on cockiness, I make a wrong turn and end up in the slums of Lux, putting me between the Machine Works to my due w and Thionville/everlange to my se. I pause to catch my breath at the end of a row of buildings, I scan around with binoculars trying to determine when and where I went wrong. The heart-stopping sound of footsteps, has me double clicking trying to get those damn binocs back in their case, and my LMG up to repel the intruder. My super hearing is great for hearing distant gun fire, but nearly blows your head clean off your shoulders when you?re the one firing, I was prepared not to be taken aback by it this time, but still nervously trying to determine which door I should face, as I stuck my kneeling butt into the corner, not wanting to move, trying not to clip the outer wall and torn between 2 fates, surely which ever door I choose to watch was going to be the wrong one. The decision was made ever more stressful, when the sound seems to stop as if in a ironical mirror image, on the outside of the building that Im now seriously contemplating bolting, I hold firm. Convinced more than ever that the gentlemen on the other side of the wall has been sent to do me bodily harm, coupled with the propaganda that the coincidence he stopped right outside this particular building, is no coincidence at all, has me double thinking and re-double thinking my next move. However, Col Wolvie70 makes the first move, Im not sure if he was tracking me, and had the misfortune of ending up right on top of me, without knowing it, or was oblivious to my presence, he bolted across the open road, his distance measured in the time it took me to deploy and fire vigorously.

My Bearings back together, I head W in an attempt at the Machine Works. A little annoyed that an EI would probably be perusing me from the SE direction of the Thionville/everlange cp. With that floating around in the back of my head, and the knowledge I was headed W toward the hot part of Lux in which I had been so diligently trying to avoid, the plan had once again have to be modified. The wear and tear of being stalked, and the accompanying paranoia were now playing a role in decisions.

Recon turns up at least 2 EI, S and SW of the Machine Works. Convinced I would lose all SA if I attempted the Factory, I was resolved to the fact I would have to retreat north, once again through C Park. Wearily I cap Munitions, with a disturbing feeling that all good things must come to an end. I nod to myself as I double-time it N to the Echernach CP. With its long seamless building eliminating both W and S flanks, and the E flank less likely an EI route, it was where I was to make a stand after the cap.

Approaching from the S, and sliding through the buildings east, I slip into the echernach cp, and plan to hop on the roof of the building directly s of the cp, I surmised that any approach from the Mersch Depot to the N would leave a short sprint from the cover of buildings e of the cp, to the open door. This is where I wanted to take my shot.

I scramble to the roof-top after the cap, and wait. Moles have time work for them, waiting has time working against the Mole. The longer a mole has to wait, the more SA he loses. I needed a break, I was more than 5 hours in at this point, and realized I never did get to stop at the latrine. I reload neurotically. The café near the Merch cp was calling my name. I would have to circle NW and then back E. My train of thought interrupted by a grey uniform approaching through the buildings from the N.

I deploy and redeploy, still trying to get the correct angle to shoot down off the top of a building. Satisfied with my deployed LMG, and once again making sure there is a round in the chamber, I wait for him to pop into view, while keeping an eye on the N. My opportunity comes with a hail of lead from the roof, the EI is hit, obviously suffering the effects of a red screen, he continues to run into the corner of the outside of the cp building, my LMG, had shifted on its precarious perch, and would not swing the mere ¼ inch required to dispatch of the nme. He escapes into the building assumingly to start the cap. Rolling my eyes and cursing the gun that had served me so well, on all other occasions, I run to the stairs strategically located less than a sprint away, and make my way down and off the roof. I?ll have to dispatch the German, the old fashioned way, where is most vulnerable..humpin? a table. Not as clean and efficient as I would have liked it, but it would do the job, and visions of a well deserved break were seeping in, even as I made my way through the buildings toward the CP.

I go prone just outside the window by the table, it had taken me some time, and I knew that if the Ei had immediately started to cap, I was going to be out of time very soon. Ready to fire from the hip, I pop up and take aim at the German, knelt facing the door in the other direction. As I squeeze the trigger allowing a stream of crazily erratic bullets into the room, mortally wounding Brig Gen local103 , I catch a glimpse of a figure in the closet, and the red screen that followed informed me it wasn?t friendly. Hit and disoriented, I scramble back into the buildings east, a sliver of life is all that remains of my previous 15 caps. With Vision drastically impaired, the normally short sprinting distance to the CP, now seemed insurmountable, yet it would have to be attempted or wait for the inevitable. I needed to reach the cp, and despawn safely while it remained allied. I never got the chance to admire my hot lead pour into Brig Gen local103, I was unclear if he had been killed or was still inside with the closet shooter, who I had surmised must have been inbound from the Mersch cp, and moved into position as I climbed down from my roof-top perch.

I had to move. I didn?t make it far. Maj Gen Allram had had his revenge, moving to the closet window, his bullets marked the end of a glorious run in Luxembourg that began 323 minutes and 15 caps ago. A circle of sorts had been completed, with the death of the Luxembourg Mole at the hands of his first unfortunate victim.

Kidd27

LTD

13th ARR

III Corp

--

Lt. Colonel Kidd27

Mar 24, 2004

Nice write-up... but wrong forum.

Yeah..*sigh* i was reading the other forum and posted in this one.. me smart like hammer

maybe a mod can move em for me

Yeah..*sigh* i was reading the other forum and posted in this one.. me smart like hammer

maybe a mod can move em for me

hehehehe ;)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0