Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

imac suggestions - need feedback

6 posts in this topic

I am considering selling my dual g5 (500) and macbookpro 1.83 (800) and buying a new imac. The question is which one of the four models. I don't have much moolah at the moment until my next few games start selling.

How is the performance in the game of those of you with new imacs:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MjI4NDY4

If I bought the second model, I wonder how bad the video card is (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics). I actually want a mac pro, but too expensive. I actually have a 24 inch monitor already + 20 incher second.

BTW if anyone might be interested in the two macs, let me know at the sticky email address. Otherwise it would be ebay.

My advice is take the 24 inch with 4870. It will be so so so so so so (you getting the idea?) worth it. $50 for much better performance. It's almost as good as the Mac Pro for gaming (better than the gt 120 MP).

Do not under any circumstances get the 9400M. I'm am very supprized that you of all people are actually contemplating the integrated graphics.

http://www.barefeats.com/imac09d.html

http://www.barefeats.com/imac09.html

im09_d12.gif

143 with 4850 vs 36 FPS with 9400M!

im09_et19.gif

94 with 4850 vs 45 with GT120 vs 116 on a 2009 MP with 4870! (GT 120 is faster than the 9400M for sure)

The 'early 2008' iMac with the GeForce 8800 GS and the 'early 2009' iMac with the GeForce 130 GT are both big improvements over the Radeon HD 2600 XT, Radeon X1600, and even the GeForce 120 GT. But for $50 more, I say get the Radeon HD 4850.

1200 for a 20 inch 2.66 with crap graphics or 2000 for 24 inch with 2.93 and great graphics + more RAM + more HD space.

i got the 20" only upgraded it to 4Gb of ram and it works really well. In air I get 100+ fps. about ground I cannot tell, but if you want me I will test it.

I suggest to take the 24" 2,93GHz with the ATI card. That is the option I would go for if I was buying an iMac today.

I would also pick the 1TB HD.

The 24" 3.06GHz isn't worth the money in my opinion.

The video card in my G5 started acting up in 3D modes so I was considering doing the same thing. Ended up getting the MacPro since I figured it wasn't worth all the stress of getting the iMac and wondering if I would have been better off with the MacPro. It actually ended up being a couple hundred cheaper than what I paid for the G5 when it came out (2GHz G5, 512MB, 160GB HD, ATI9800, no applecare vs a 2.66GHz Quad, 8GB, 640GB HD, ATI4870, plus applecare).

Of course, after the MacPro was ordered, the G5 video card started behaving properly again;)

Also, I couldn't help but add an Intel X25M SSD for the system/application disk. It gives a whole new meaning to the word snappy!

My only issue is $ atm, Id rather have the Pro. But Snow Leopard is likely to be intel only, so I need to do something at least before then. I might wait a bit and see if I can snag a refurbished Pro. If my next app (waiting on Apple/Godot right now) does OK I might be able to do it, but otherwise the #3 imac seems the best deal.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0