Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunny55

The Battle for Bertrix

4 posts in this topic

When I joined the battle, the German forces had already advanced from the NE of town, taking the Air Field and the North AB in the process. I rushed out to meet them, and amid the ruined buildings overlooking the NAB, brutal close-quarters battles were fought. Soon, the German line began to harden, as we soon found the area surrounding the NAB to be targeted by mortars, tanks, and machine guns. The situation worsened as the battle progressed. The German forces began to push the french soldiers back with their combined infantry and armor assault. Now, the battle was fought outside of the French spawns, where men would rush from their starting positions and within seconds were face to face with a formidable German attack. Supply ran out, and the courageous French soldiers mounted a determined defense armed only with rifles. German air support began to arrive as well, bombing allied positions and armor spawns. Buildings were turned to rubble, and the fighting soon resembled the rattenkrieg of Stalingrad. Soldiers were sent strait into the fray, to man crumbling defensive lines or seek out human prey. the proximity of the buildings overlooking allied spawns in addition to the fact that the germans had control over most of them, added with the armor and air support caused a fearful slaughter in which dozens of men were downed every few seconds. Olive green french uniforms mixed among the blue-grey of that of the germans soon littered the battlefield. Allied air or armor support was nought to be seen, and under siege by a large German attack, the French infantrymen put up an astounding defense that caused many casualties on both sides. But alas, the final French spawn was soon captured, and surviving soldiers either retreated into the woods around Bertrix to fight as guerillas or regroup in a counter-attack, or awaited their final fate in the army barrack spawns. Stukas strafed the allied forces advancing from the MSP's outside of the city, and once they were destroyed, the battle for Bertrix was finally over.

The final death toll was this: 32 or more Germans to 16 or less deaths (I did not bother to count how many times I had died, but I often killed 2-3 Germans per life) Most kills were with a rifle in close quarters where the germans often had submachine guns or numerical majority. Though the final result was rather tragic, there are few battles I have fought in that I can be more proud of.

Analysis of the Battle:

The defense work of the French soldiers was solid: they fought inflicting many casualties on the German forces, even taking out tanks with hand grenades to due a lack of anti-tank weapons. However, due to the rapid increase of German numbers; superiority of German supply; coordination of German air, armor, and infantry; and lack of Allied intervention, the defense crumbled after 15-20 minutes in a savage battle of attrition. The cause of defeat could be pinned on lack of Allied unity and coordination, as individual soldiers failed to cooperate and form a solid defense line; and allied armor or air support was nought to be seen. Meanwhile, the German forces had planned their attack well, with a combined air-infantry-armor assault against the lone French infantry force. Allied fighting was admirable, as the defenders proved stubborn and unwilling to retreat; yet allied strategy was poor, as several brigades were slaughtered due to lack of Allied intervention. Allied air fields were not far removed from the town, and could have slowed the German assault long enough for a new supply to reach the town and hold off the German armor and infantry. Poor Allied strategy was to be the end of Bertrix.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0