• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
szyporyn

My new rig - geeks please join in and help out!

50 posts in this topic

S!

Just putting together a new rig - but been some time since I've done this so I'm not really up to speed any more - if you have some info or updates to this then please bring it along :-D

I'm going to opt for the X58 architecture I think!

MOTHERBOARD:

Website info

Asus P6T DeLuxe - OC Palm

Question: I want the P6T - but what version of these is the best - there is a V2 and a DeLuxe and a WS one - I want to kick *** in games, but most important it is for me to be able to run some VERY heavy programs at the same time, I want all those lousy wait states out of my hair when it comes to windows and software.

Also - what versions are the latest ones, just goin by the P6T DeLuxe wont get you JUST the right one, usually they come in different versions based on when they were manufactured.

RAM:

Website info

OCZ DDR3 PC3-16000/ 2000MHz / Blade Series / CAS 7 Edition / Triple Channel Kits / 6GB

Question: Are there any RAM better than these? I could not find any - simply awesome with CAS7, low-volt and STILL kick *** speed!

CPU:

Website info

Intel Core i7 920

Not gonna go for the 940 or Extreme 965 versions, they are WAY to expensive ATM in relation to the 920, and you dont get double up on the performance - but do pay double up on the price.

Once again - what version or build is the best one of these?

GPU:

Website info

Nvidia GTX295

What manufacturer has the best card out on the market with this chipset?

Overall I think gaming rigs are way to overpowered in regards of games, and way to underpowered when it comes to anything else than gaming, I want a system that kicks *** when it comes to using really intensive software, I wanna be able to video render while using Photoshop CS4 without feeling any lag just as much - so went for this rig which I think fits that purpose - goin with SATA 10.000 RPM disk - wanted SES but that is way to expensive ATM

I got the AMD Phenom II x3 Black Edition. Got it OC'd at 3Ghz with just a CPU fan/heatsink, could go to 4Ghz with water cooling and 6Ghz with liquid nitrogen, but Im not that geeky.

Im really happy with that processor and didnt have to break the bank to purchase it.

4GB DDR3 memory.

Nvidia 8800GT

Gigabyte motherboard

Average around 100fps in game at 1.29, all options enabled and 3x AA. Interesting to see if there will be a substantial change in 1.30.

S!

alphie

I like the change in the architecture by the X58, no longer will FSB be a bottleneck as I understand it.

Also pure Ghz does not really state that you get more performance, a 2.66 Ghz system can easily outperform a 3.2 Ghz system - all depending on chipset, FSB (untill X58) etc.. - and I'm really really diggin the above 38Gb/sec bandwith between the CPU and RAM in this new architecture

Basically, Szy, you are in a range where it doesent matter what GF 295 you chose, what cpu etc. you are in the high end market, and 5% differences in performance wont change anything for you in games, as you will be able to run them all with no noticeable difference.

If you want to make a difference, make sure you buy a very good cooler. If you go for aircooling, and go for one of the best aircoolers like the Thermalright 120 series, you will be able to OC the 920 substantially. Most techsites like Anandtrech, Xbitlabs and Toms hardware have OCed the various chips, so its not hard to find guidance.

Thats what would make a difference to your decisions- OC or no OC. The difference in performance could be as much as 15-20% averagely. The other decisions you are going to make, whether chosing this or that GF 295, will maybe mean 1-2 % if you are lucky.

So, since you allready are going for high end, the only place you can really make a difference is getting an OC mainboard, kick arse cooler and OC the I 920 skyhigh.

Ohh, and for the love of God, dont underestimate the value of a good monitor. This is definately a place, where you dont want to save money.

Nice rig, dont underestimate this game though, you migh beat it up with 200fps now but id expect the engine to put up a fight and bring you back down to 16fps in a few patches.

Can't recommend BFG cards enough. Most are overclocked out of the box and come with a lifetime warranty. I've had four now and they've all been great, no problems whatsoever.

As far as CPU goes make sure you get a D0 stepping - it's the latest version and has the best potential for overclocking. What cooler are you going for?

Intel is the way to go. Good specs you have there.

BFG good for cards also XFX - I have used both and they are very good, overclocked and XFX have a very good support and returns.

Michwich your such a cynic. The current engine is old and actually can't cope with high performance. For example my rig runs in some areas between 120 and 450 FPS. When the fpr is that high it causes problems with sync between fire action, movement and what actually happens. The movement can feel "sticky", guns can fire but not discharge etc.

Solution - lock to V sync in settings.

Actually the next few patches should improve as they make the code more efficient and modern in it's approach.

Key is this - IF you have a very good spec rig setup properly then you will get good FPS with this game ANYWHERE. You may still suffer the odd lag etc and some people CHTL etc but that is more ISP and server population issues.

For example since I built my new rig I got huge FPS improvements, much better stability and much smoother playing experience. I did have some lag and chtl's and some packet loss. I moved form one ISP to one that currently gives me huge performance and stability and packet loss is zero. CTHL and CTD count is at two for the whole year.

Had my eye on the XFX GTX295 actually just now..

Want a rig that holds on for years and years as well, only upgrade every 5 years or so :-(

Yes I will get proper cooling, dunno what kind but most likely NOT water :-D, as well as a REAL good PSU, goin for the best 800W I can find out there ATM.

This board is specifically designed also for OC'ing - so should be good on that part.

And yes I am goin to OC the 920, and most likely the GTX295 as well - not gonna play with the RAM yet since its CAS7 cycle and plenty of speed should be more than enough.

Have a good monitor, the Samsung 20" - wanted the 22" for christmas, but my stupid stupid parents got the stupid salesman to convince em that 20" was better for some farking reason! - I specifically asked for the 22" and the price difference is like 10-20£ only - bah!

Goin to get the 24" one later I think - it rocks!

Intel is the way to go. Good specs you have there.

Depends on what you value most. If your rich and have money to burn, then yes Intel's latest i7 will give you the highest performance over any other processor, but at a cost to your wallet.

If your married, with kids and are the sole bread winner and dont want to save for a year and half to buy a processor. Then the new AMDs will give you great performance for dollar value.

Depends on what's important to you. Top of the line, fastest processor, but broken bank account or great performance with less money.

To be totally honest, unless your crunching numbers for nasa, your not gonna see to wow factor of the latest i7 over the latest AMD. It all comes down to cooling and rig configuration as others have stated. They are both good, with Intel being the cream of the crop, but it all comes down to what you value most.

S!

alphie

i7 is more than just a processor alphie, its a brand new architecture, on the board as well, and a brand new way of adressing the RAM and GPU from the CPU itself right away!

i7 has no competition ATM - not at all :-D

And at a price of roughly 200£ it aint that bad

i7 is more than just a processor alphie, its a brand new architecture, on the board as well, and a brand new way of adressing the RAM and GPU from the CPU itself right away!

i7 has no competition ATM - not at all :-D

And at a price of roughly 200£ it aint that bad

So are the new AMDs (45nm, DDR3 mem cont, AM3 socketed mobo, faster piplines to graphics, etc., etc.).

This isnt a bash on Intel or an AMD fanboi post. Its just stating the truth. The Intels offer the best performance like I stated, but your gonna pay 3x as much for the processor. I would rather use the money I saved to upgrade other components of my system. Its personal preference really and what you consider to be important.

I'd like to remind the OP of the other posts talking about BFG, I STRONGLY recommend BFG

the lifetime warranty is worth it all, my 8800GT OC started overheating to 100c after i RMA'd my motherboard, sent my 8800GT OC to BFG and 2 days later they sent me a 9800 GTX OC and OMG this card is a beast, I wish they would of sent me a 9800 GTX+ or Geforce 250 GTS, but meh can't ask for a free card that performs better then the last.

oh btw, OCZ just released the blade series ram sticks, I just ordered a set of 2x2GB low voltage to replace my 4x1GB sticks with same specs

figure 4x 2.1v versus 2x 1.8v not only is heat generated going down, power consumption should drop, and also they should run cooler.

I have the Asus P6T motherboard and I have not had any problems with it, and i'm overall very happy with the i7 920 proc.

I also have:windowslivewriternzxtsentrylx-c7b8dscf4666-2.jpg

and its pretty cool.

I believe the next batch of graphics cards (actual new architecture) are coming out at the end of the summer. Depending on your current graphics card you could get the rest of your system and stick with the same graphics card then get one of the new ones or one of the older ones (295/4870) a lot cheaper.

So are the new AMDs (45nm, DDR3 mem cont, AM3 socketed mobo, faster piplines to graphics, etc., etc.).

This isnt a bash on Intel or an AMD fanboi post. Its just stating the truth. The Intels offer the best performance like I stated, but your gonna pay 3x as much for the processor. I would rather use the money I saved to upgrade other components of my system. Its personal preference really and what you consider to be important.

Well he already said he wants it to last 5 years, so it looks like intel doesn't it? ;) he didn't ask about hypothetical financial situations.

As far as PSUs go, if you want quality, get a seasonic - top quality components and very quiet. Failing that, get a corsair which I believe are re-badged seasonics (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I think 5 years may be a bit optimistic szy, you may have to look into water cooling towards the end :) By then of course there will shiny new shat to get excited about.

Good info about getting the D0 step version - did some reading and yes most definitely I will be wanting this version :-D

Now a little bit unsure as of which MoBo to go for actually - been reading about the WS revolution instead, and there is virtually no difference between the boards - The WS version has true 3 x x16 SLI and the others do not, and also have the option of faster/better HD setup it seems.

Would also like some inputs on which of the boards might be the more clever one in regards of design and layout :-D

New AMDs still have FSB, and they have a max of 4 threaded cores, the i7 can support 8 threads at once.

BTW I'm pretty sure you can use a max of 1600, or maybe it was 1333mhz RAM with the core 920. I'm positive only the extreme one supports the 2000mhz. But you can definitely overclock the 920 with that mainboard.

Also, if you plan on doing SLI or if you plan to go with an 3 way 16x board, you are going to need a very good power supply, 1000W minimum with those video cards for SLI, 1250W for 3 way.

Jamesi - CAS7 - 2T

I've seen images of the 920 setup being OC'ed along with the RAM so that the RAM hits 2000Mhz - gonna look into this - the extreme CPU's are just so very very very expensive still :-D

The 920 can easily be OC'ed up to 3.9 without anything but air cooling it - and really stable as well.

Was thinking about the WS revolution board instead because it yields true 3 way SLI (16x/16x/16x) but don't think I will ever get around to do 3-way anyways :-D

Hey fellow dane, :)

just went through the same upgrade you are thinking of, and did extensive research and reading up on all my parts. Take my advice, skip the 295 and go with the new 285 instead. Look around the web and u will see why.

To make sure yo get the D0 stepping 920 you need to make sure the product code contins the following: SLBEJ - It needs to be this exact code, or u will get a C0 stepped CPU. I found D0s in both DataEngros on Falkoner Alle and at Betafon on Gyldenløvsgade. Just call ahead and ask them if they have it.Btw, my 920 is at 4Ghz stable on air, but not with the stock cooler though.

I suggest u go for the Asus P6T deluxe V2 (make sure it's version 2!), as the only real difference will be the 2 PCIe GCard limitation Asus made on purpose on the board. With the 285 (or 295 for that matter) you wont be needing tri SLI before the entire rig is outdated anyway.

You will be very very happy with the BIOS, MoBo software package and flashing capabilities. It also has a really cool feature, a small built in SSD with a self-contained OS onboard that will allow you to go on the internet and other neat stuff without having to boot up Windows. And it takes a split second to load. Very cool.

Speaking of SSD, you really should consider the Intel X25, u will be suprised how much this does to the responsiveness of your system, and much more so than any CPU, RAM or Mobo upgrade.

I echo the props for BFG. I have a BFG motherboard and they have released 36 BIOS updates to date. They are constantly TWEAKING to squeek every bit of performance and stability out of their mainboards. Not even ASUS patches that often. Asus makes a fine product but the problem is they stop providing BIOS updates after a year-18 months.

I also had my BFG board die. The cross shipped me a new board and it was an easy transaction.

I don't have a BFG graphics card, but I honestly feel over the years that WW2 Online plays nicer with Nvidia code than it does with ATI.

Thus, I just upgraded to a GF275OC because the price/performance ratio was finally in the price ranged I was willing to spend. The 295's are the top of the line currently in the Nvidia world, but that is usually short lived.

My next ugprade will also be to the X58 platform.

*S* Giggy

Outstanding information Vagnluv (hej hej hehe :-D)

Been reading up on if I should GTX260 SLI (3 ways) or 280GTX SLI (2 ways) instead actually - but gone thru the numbers again and I really see GTX295 as the best choise.

Its dual GPU, its a tad slower on the Mhz on the GPU though, as well as the shader processors actually run slower than on a 9800GX - but the real selling point for me is the double up on RAM and shader processors (a whooping 480!!)

Then later on I can go Quad-SLI with this baby

With the GTX295 you get lots of less FPS pr. spent unit of money, but that improves as the games you test it on gets harder and harder for the cards to process and as the resolution goes up - which is also where the GTX295 pulls away from competition. Actually the GTX295 looses to inferior cards in SLI (3 ways and 2 ways) when you go down to 1680x1050 - but pull up Crysis 2 in 2500x1200 and everything on max and then GTX295 shows its muscle - and in Quad-SLI wow!!

But please let me know what you know about this, done as you said and read on the internet - but could not see why I would want (non SLI) GTX285 instead.

Want to make the best decition when I go ahead and buy it - so all info would be cool :-D

Also was thinking about the V2 version of the Deluxe - but havent been able to find out which one is the better one - so went for the OC Palm one - should be same dead all in all apart from it being built for OC'ing - but again, wanna make the best informed decition I can - here board layout also counts!

And what conclusion did you come to about the WS Revolution one? As I see it todays PC's (and especially when we are talking these kind of babys) are ample enough for gaming, I also want to focus on a really powerfull rig that will deal with Windows itself (no more hang time please no matter WHAT I put it thru) and especially heay software such as being able to render a 3D Studio file while using Adobe CS4 with no problem when starting firefox on top of it :-D

The bit about the SSD sounds very interesting - gotta read up on that, coz that is exactly what Im goin for - fast response time.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!!

EDIT: Now see you wrote 285GTX and not 280GTX - off I am to read more :-D

ive been running on the i7 920, gtx 280, 6gb 1333, since feb.

EVGA mobo and graphics.

XP pro 64 / win7 dual boot.

just running it stock. the damn thing will run anything i throw at it, and want more.

i run 1920x1200 on a 24" lcd. the rig is great for CAS. get about 250fps in the sky, drops to around 50-60 flying low over a contested town.

photoshop? maya? bring it on. can work on 16mil+ poly objs in zbrush.

about the onlything that has made a dent is Farcry 2, in dx10 mode all options on high, my fps drops to around 25, had to turn off 4xAA.

i only build a new one about every 4-5 years, and couldnt be happier.

just make sure and get a GOOD high wattage power supply. (850 -1000 watt)

I have an i7 920 with 3GB of OCZ 1600 Mhz RAM. I got it in January.

I have EVGA's x58 MB and a pair of Geforece 8800 GTs. (I will upgrade when I need to.)

It all runs on WinXP. (I will upgrade when I need to.)

It's air cooled and I have it over-clocked to 4.0 Ghz. The RAM only runs at 1200 something. When I push it to 1600, the system becomes unstable. However, I have not noticed a difference in performance between the two RAM settings.

Also, I run this on a Corsair 550W power supply. Don't let other people scare you into buying a humongous power supply. Just make sure you buy a quality one.

In WW2OL, I run at 1600x1200 with everything turned to max. I even have Vsync enabled.

I run mostly at a steady 85FPS (the refresh rate of my monitor). If I turn off VSync, it will spike up into the 3-400 FPS range.

In a really busy firefight with lots of people around, it might dip into the 40s. But that is pretty rare. I think I saw it go into the 30s once, but I cannot remember for sure.

Needless to say, I think the system described by the OP is a good one.

Wrong: quick check on newegg reveals:

Phenom II X4 955 A3 = $245

i7 920=$279

I can't see how that is 3 times more?

BTW, Tom's hardware is currently recommending the new ATI 4770 (45nm) board in a cross fire configuration as the best performing/value configuration.

These go for about $100 a piece and so for $200 you can match the ATI 4890. Also the advantage is at 45nm it uses less energy and does not heat up like most other gpu's

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0