Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
szyporyn

My new rig - geeks please join in and help out!

50 posts in this topic

im a big BFG fan it was grate book :D

but really ive had BFG for some time now and there rock solid, just updraded my 8800GT (oc2) for a 260 (oc2) and i love it, was going to go with the 290 but the wife looked at me a little funny after i splashed out on a complete new rig so i settled for the 260 :D

There was a time, Syz, when I also had the need for speed and wanted to get the most "bang for the buck", as we say here in the States. I just had to have the fastest and the mostest!! I had the money, so that wasn't an issue. I spent freely, upgraded often, enjoyed tons of FPS in any application, and relished the bragging rights.:D

Then, about two years ago, I begin to notice something which many people fail to take notice of when in pursuit of the "latest and greatest" in PC tech.

Moore's Law is beginning to hit an exponential explosion in both PC tech and pricing.

You want to build a computer that will last for 5 years? It ain't going happen. my friend. Even if money was no object, and you built the BEST GAMING RIG EVER!!! ...it will be considered obsolete in less than 2 years. In 5 years, it's going to be a very expensive piece of toxic metal and plastic that's going to cost you money to dispose of properly in the community recycling center.

My advice is this...

Don't waste your money on building a rig with the best of everything.

The CPU may be considered the heart of a PC, but the soul is in the motherboard. Build your rig upon the soul. Spare no expense on this. It will be the basis upon which you build for the future. Don't be afraid of dishing out $300-$500 for the best one out there. You can save your money on the rest, for the most part, and get a great rig that performs well with the option to upgrade when the cheaper opportunity arises...and they arise daily!

Shop often and wisely. Watch for future tech on the horizon and plan your purchases with this in mind.

The video card is, actually, the second most important purchase for gaming rigs. Regardless of the core and speed, it has to have a lot GDDR. The future is in textures, DX10 and Shader 3.0. You're going to need a lot of RAM for those puppies. If the video card has at least 1 gig onboard, it's likely not going to rely on the MB RAM or CPU cycles for processing; hence, faster response times. A 9800 GTX with 1 gig of DDR3 RAM will outperform a GTX260 with 512kb DDR2 in most applications, unless used in SLI. Why spend $300+ more for similar performance?

With that said, you have recieved some really good advice from others in this thread. That's a good start.

Good luck with your project! Let us know how it turns out.

Just a thought on something I don't think has been mentioned?

RAID Array.

When I built my rig one of my considerations was that I hate load times.

So, I went with a RAID Array (RAID 1 :Mirrored Drives in my case for the added security of having some important data backed up)

I then stripped out all the redundant apps out of Windows (XP).

Windows lets you set up profiles for this.

I'm no expert and did this myself.

It seems to help and has greatly reduced my Boot Up and load times.

Just a thought on something I don't think has been mentioned?

RAID Array.

When I built my rig one of my considerations was that I hate load times.

So, I went with a RAID Array (RAID 1 :Mirrored Drives in my case for the added security of having some important data backed up)

I then stripped out all the redundant apps out of Windows (XP).

Windows lets you set up profiles for this.

I'm no expert and did this myself.

It seems to help and has greatly reduced my Boot Up and load times.

Times are over for HD raid arrays. Get the Intel X25 SSD and you will know why. Opening a program is near instantaneous with this puppy. I really can recommend it enough if you want to enhance your systems responsiveness, and no CPU, RAM or MoBo upgrade will come close to reducing the boot time and program loading time as the X25 SSD will. Important: You cant get just any SSD, as SSDs work in different ways. The Intel X25 is so far the only one I know of that is fast in random access reads and writes, instead of just sequential read/write speed, and this is why the X25 leaves all other SSDs in the dust when talking Window's loading of large amount of very small files.

X25-M is not so fast in write actually - 70 Mb/sec - the X25-E (which is double the price) is up at 170 Mb/sec.

But think I have to get me one of these actually, you are right HD is the true bottleneck lol :-D

X25-M is not so fast in write actually - 70 Mb/sec - the X25-E (which is double the price) is up at 170 Mb/sec.

But think I have to get me one of these actually, you are right HD is the true bottleneck lol :-D

You fall into the trap of looking only at the sequential read/write speed, like 99% of all other ppl.:) Again, what matters is the random access read/write speed (especially the read one), because the way operating systems and almost all software loads is by use of many smaller files that loads into RAM. The sequential read/write speed is good when moving one pr0n flick from one drive to another, but let's be honest, this is hardly a good reason to shell out on a SSD.;)

The X25-M is all you need for bumping up your performance, and no need to shell out on the single cell E model, which is targeted at server enviroments (hence the "E" for Enterprise)

You fall into the trap of looking only at the sequential read/write speed, like 99% of all other ppl.:) Again, what matters is the random access read/write speed (especially the read one), because the way operating systems and almost all software loads is by use of many smaller files that loads into RAM. The sequential read/write speed is good when moving one pr0n flick from one drive to another, but let's be honest, this is hardly a good reason to shell out on a SSD.;)

The X25-M is all you need for bumping up your performance, and no need to shell out on the single cell E model, which is targeted at server enviroments (hence the "E" for Enterprise)

Actually you can still run SSD's in Raid configuration and they have even more blinding speed.

SSD are the future (1-2 years) not the present unless you have tons of $$$.

There was a time, Syz, when I also had the need for speed and wanted to get the most "bang for the buck", as we say here in the States. I just had to have the fastest and the mostest!! I had the money, so that wasn't an issue. I spent freely, upgraded often, enjoyed tons of FPS in any application, and relished the bragging rights.:D

Then, about two years ago, I begin to notice something which many people fail to take notice of when in pursuit of the "latest and greatest" in PC tech.

Moore's Law is beginning to hit an exponential explosion in both PC tech and pricing.

You want to build a computer that will last for 5 years? It ain't going happen. my friend. Even if money was no object, and you built the BEST GAMING RIG EVER!!! ...it will be considered obsolete in less than 2 years. In 5 years, it's going to be a very expensive piece of toxic metal and plastic that's going to cost you money to dispose of properly in the community recycling center.

My advice is this...

Don't waste your money on building a rig with the best of everything.

The CPU may be considered the heart of a PC, but the soul is in the motherboard. Build your rig upon the soul. Spare no expense on this. It will be the basis upon which you build for the future. Don't be afraid of dishing out $300-$500 for the best one out there. You can save your money on the rest, for the most part, and get a great rig that performs well with the option to upgrade when the cheaper opportunity arises...and they arise daily!

Shop often and wisely. Watch for future tech on the horizon and plan your purchases with this in mind.

The video card is, actually, the second most important purchase for gaming rigs. Regardless of the core and speed, it has to have a lot GDDR. The future is in textures, DX10 and Shader 3.0. You're going to need a lot of RAM for those puppies. If the video card has at least 1 gig onboard, it's likely not going to rely on the MB RAM or CPU cycles for processing; hence, faster response times. A 9800 GTX with 1 gig of DDR3 RAM will outperform a GTX260 with 512kb DDR2 in most applications, unless used in SLI. Why spend $300+ more for similar performance?

With that said, you have recieved some really good advice from others in this thread. That's a good start.

Good luck with your project! Let us know how it turns out.

Partially true if you purchase the right mobo. Purchase the wrong one (aka intel 775 or AM2 and you will end up in a dead end). I know this from experience with a 939 mobo and an AGP socket. That is why it always best to purchase the lowest model of the high end processor to ensure your socket configuration is not a dead end.

Actually you can still run SSD's in Raid configuration and they have even more blinding speed.

SSD are the future (1-2 years) not the present unless you have tons of $$$.

lol yea, i was gona replace my barracuda's with 2 SSD's untill i hitt the shopping basket and found i needed to re-morgage my house and sell the cars lol, silly money right now

My new rig is as following

nvidia 275GTX 868mb

790i Nvidia Mb

4Gb DDR3 2000mhz

intel 8500 3.1ghz (OCed to 4.2ghz)

600Gb HD

Never below 70's with everything turned all the way up including 127 player vis limit * you have to edit a file for vis limit*

The 80GB Intel X25-M is not very expensive, actually - I got mine for about 300 Euro.

Mine is only containing Windows Vista, WW2online and FSX, and I have everything else on another HD that boots up into XP.

Of course, if you look at the GB per dollar/euro factor, then it's extremely expensive atm, but that doesn't rule out you can buy this puppy and get on the SSD bandwagon and benefit from the increase in speed and resposiveness.

You got me convinced vagnluv :-D goin for one of these puppies - just listening those that HD makes me puke :-D

Hey fellow dane, :)

just went through the same upgrade you are thinking of, and did extensive research and reading up on all my parts. Take my advice, skip the 295 and go with the new 285 instead. Look around the web and u will see why.

To make sure yo get the D0 stepping 920 you need to make sure the product code contins the following: SLBEJ - It needs to be this exact code, or u will get a C0 stepped CPU. I found D0s in both DataEngros on Falkoner Alle and at Betafon on Gyldenløvsgade. Just call ahead and ask them if they have it.Btw, my 920 is at 4Ghz stable on air, but not with the stock cooler though.

I suggest u go for the Asus P6T deluxe V2 (make sure it's version 2!), as the only real difference will be the 2 PCIe GCard limitation Asus made on purpose on the board. With the 285 (or 295 for that matter) you wont be needing tri SLI before the entire rig is outdated anyway.

You will be very very happy with the BIOS, MoBo software package and flashing capabilities. It also has a really cool feature, a small built in SSD with a self-contained OS onboard that will allow you to go on the internet and other neat stuff without having to boot up Windows. And it takes a split second to load. Very cool.

Speaking of SSD, you really should consider the Intel X25, u will be suprised how much this does to the responsiveness of your system, and much more so than any CPU, RAM or Mobo upgrade.

Hey, I dont want to hijack this thread, but Vagnluv, what are your experinces with the SSD drive? I have been thinking using one as my primary boot, and then keep a typical HD as secondary for storage.

Szy, a good way to ressearch OC is to go to the various sites that deals with OC. I always check out these sites, when I upgrade. Extreme overclocking.com is one, where you can read all about the various steppings etc.

The 80GB Intel X25-M is not very expensive, actually - I got mine for about 300 Euro.

Mine is only containing Windows Vista, WW2online and FSX, and I have everything else on another HD that boots up into XP.

Of course, if you look at the GB per dollar/euro factor, then it's extremely expensive atm, but that doesn't rule out you can buy this puppy and get on the SSD bandwagon and benefit from the increase in speed and resposiveness.

I'm guessing here, but 300 EUR is about $500 CDN. That pays for a top of the line video card or nearly an icore rig.

For me SSD are still way too expensive, sure you can open apps superfast, but with tons of ram, you often don't have to access the your HD that much once the app (game) is running.

I will settle for two 500gb cavier blacks for $120 in a RAID config. In two years your brand new first gen SSD will be worth less than $50 and will be considered glacial (mind you my Raid config will be obsolete :) )

$460 CDN to be exact Tobruk.:) Yes you can get a good graphicscard for that kind of money, but certainly not close to an Core I7 rig! And we, and Szyporyn, are ofcourse not talking budget rigs here, but kickass gaming battlestations, hehe.

Doch: My experience with the Intel SSD is fairly new, but so far it really does have a much bigger impact on (noticeable) system performance than anything else I could think of upgrading my rig with. I went from a rather old Athlon 64 singlecore 3700+ with 2GB RAM to an I7 920 with 6GB RAM and 2xSLI 285s, but still with my old harddrive in it. My bootup time into windows hardly changed, and apps executed about the same time, or not noticably faster. I made sure to specifically test this out before putting in my new SSD, as I wanted to observe the difference and hopefully have the experience of not having wasted my money.;)

After this I put the SSD in my new rig and installed Vista64 on it, and after configuring the OS and applying tweaks and trimming "lose fat", I can only say I was very, very happy with the bootup time and launching of applications.

Obviously this was a new install and a system with none of the crap installed on the old HDD I used, but the old OS and drive was also kept nice and tidy, defragged and free of adware. All this is ofcourse highly subjective, but at the end of the day, it's not about seconds and miliseconds on a stopwatch when judging how your system behaves after all, is it?:)

I already wrote it several times in the previous posts, but the one word that describes it best is "responsive". Everything you click on happens nearly instantaneous, save for big games that does all sorts of unknown decompressing of files etc in the background (still much faster, though). You know all those taskbar apps in the lower right corner of windows? They usually took around 30-40 seconds to load and make the HDD lay to rest/idle after reaching the desktop on a reboot - with the Intel SSD it's not even 3 seconds, it's instantaneous!:cool:

If you have the spare money, I can only reccomend it enough.

Yes money is no object here, and the extra cash spent on the HD seems to be the best money spent at all (havent bought it yet, just fine tuning the things I'm wanting).

Only thing I'm a little conserned about is the 10.000 rewrites life-span of the X25-M, then again I wont be using it for storage or anything so should be no problem, only gonna put on Windows and the programs I use most regulary (Adobe, MS Office and WWIIol).

Really looking forward to trying this SSD, HD waits are the things I hate more than anything!

$460 CDN to be exact Tobruk.:)

I was closer than expected. I know the SSD will give an incredible bost to app load times,

but does it really make a difference on gaming FPS all things considered?

No it doesn't make a difference to your gaming FPS, obviously, but it may very well remove all spikes and stutters from games that rely on disc access during play.

Finally bought the damn thing :-D

Here is what I ended up with

Lian-Li PC-P80 Armorsuit case

NorthQ 850 Watt PSU

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard

Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz (@ 3.2 GHz)

Corsair Dominator 1600 (@ 1604 MHz, 8-8-8-24 1T)

ASUS ENGTX285 Graphics Card

Intel X25-M 80Gb

1TB lamo HD

That disc is AWESOME (intel X25-M), it loads up anything so fast I cant believe it!

The PC itself is ÜBER! I have yet to find anything it wont eat up alive!

Tested Far Cry2 (run everything at absolute maximum settings and 4-8 x AA) and got my usual 58 FPS and had forgot I had WWIIol running in the background lol, so I though ok lemme test it totally - and loaded up PhotoShop CS4, IE, explorer, Outlook and Word - then booted up Far Cry2 again, no difference at all!

posted by Doch;

Basically, Szy, you are in a range where it doesent matter what GF 295 you chose, what cpu etc.

you are in the high end market, and 5% differences in performance wont change anything for you in games
, as you will be able to run them all with no noticeable difference.

LIES I TELL YOU........LIES...........MORE POWER!!!!! :D

Captain I cannie hold her.......:D........ MORE POWER.......

fenir

Don't forget that 2nd 285! SLI rulez!

and it's funny I'm running the same thing except my 920 is at 3.66, and using XFX 285's.

Nothing is more graphics intensive than gaming. That's why a quadro, which is for rendering adn photo editing, is a **** card.

Don't forget that 2nd 285! SLI rulez!

and it's funny I'm running the same thing except my 920 is at 3.66, and using XFX 285's.

Gonna get me a 2nd 285 when I have trouble running games at some point, at this moment all I would gain from a 2nd 285 would be a little bit better FPS in AA heavy runs.

Are you running on air or water for 3.66? And if on air what are your temps in idle and under load?

Also what is your vcore at? did you lower the multiplier and raised the BLCK? (keeping multiplier at 20 and having the BLCK low seems to generate more heat - ATM Im doin 20x160 to get my 3.2 GHz - maybe it would be a better idea to go 16x200?)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0