Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

FPS Troubles - report here

53 posts in this topic

If you are seeing terrible or wildly varying fps in 1.30 please report your exact specs here and a description.

My dual G5 does not show anything new or different. On PCs AMD + ATI combos seem to be more commonly messed up. I have an ATi X800.

on my iMac 2.66 GHZ intel core 2 duo, 4GB DDR3, and Nvidia Gforce 9400 graphics card with 256+MB (that means it uses at least 256 MB shared memory) i get stutters and widely fluctuating fps. When spawning in at the AF i usually get 10fps (as opposed to before 1.30 where I used to get 40-60). In the air there is not a major difference in terms of max fps (100+ at max) but if I happen to look in the direction of an AO they drop to 10 or so. Also fighting near the AO and low became impossible due to the stutters which i did not experience before to this extent.

My solution was to use bootcamp and install a windows XP SP3 partition where the game runs very smoothly. Even if the max fps are not as high as the MAC, they are constant around 70+ and no stutters! :confused:

i get stutters and widely fluctuating fps. When spawning in at the AF i usually get 10fps (as opposed to before 1.30 where I used to get 40-60). In the air there is not a major difference in terms of max fps (100+ at max) but if I happen to look in the direction of an AO they drop to 10 or so. Also fighting near the AO and low became impossible due to the stutters which i did not experience before to this extent.

Exact same here. I am running:

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo

2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

ATI Radeon HD 2400

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

I wonder if the intel compile has some wrong setting. My lousy G5 is getting better FPS and no oddness at all.

Weird. Just realized that the biggest drops (down to 2-5fps) happen every single time a system message drops in, like facility taken, incoming contact report, new ml, etc.

Why would that have anything to do with it?

I dno if u can call this a problem but with 1.29, I could run 2 accs with no stutters or and a decent fps of ~50.

Now, no matter what settings I use, low graphs, high graphs, and everything in between its stutter heaven and ~20fps with drops to 8, back to 120 to 8 then 20 for 10 secs and it keeps fluctuates that way..

Only things that changed on my setup are a new G9 mouse and a new stick (force3dpro)

Mayb something changed with coding I dno but damn, not getting to use my tow***** is sooooooo "insert sadpanda" :(

Setup:

c2d 6600 @ 3.6Ghz

4870 1gb @ default @ v9.4

3gb mem

Something memory related is the culprit. Anyone with a G5 having more stutters than usual (ignore the jitter bug with inf)?

Same as everyone here..Wild fps fluctuations and bad stutters. Ever since the 1.30 patch.

I own 2 macs and it's the same situation on both.

I have a Dual 2.5Ghz Desktop w 2.5 GB of ram. Running OS 10.4.11

And a 2.53Ghz intel core 2 duo macbook pro with 4GB ram running OS 10.5.6

I tried changing my settings to the lowest possible but no difference.

I hope we can figure this out, because as of now the game is unplayable on a mac.

I hope we can figure this out, because as of now the game is unplayable on a mac.

it is if you are willing to do the 'sacrilege' of installing windows 7 or win xp on it. i did it and it works fine. Sure its not a solution, but a compromise till CRS figures it out.

it is if you are willing to do the 'sacrilege' of installing windows 7 or win xp on it. i did it and it works fine. Sure its not a solution' date=' but a compromise till CRS figures it out.[/quote']

There are a couple of ways of doing that no? I tried Bootcamp a couple years ago and it was horrible. How would you recommend doing it?

There are a couple of ways of doing that no? I tried Bootcamp a couple years ago and it was horrible. How would you recommend doing it?

I did bootcamp. Even if they say win7 is not supported it worked fine.

Now after you had installed win 7 and insert the leopard CD so it installs the apple specific drivers it will say that bootcamp is not compatible with this version of windows. Don't worry. From windows go to your CD drive and explore it. Now I have installed win 7 64 bit so I looked for a folder which name i cant remember now ( i am at work) but its had the numbers 86 and 64 in the name. Ill check and let you know but it should be easy to find it. From there start the bootcamp set-up. It will install without any problems all drivers EXCEPT for the graphics card. So i went to NVIDIA and got the driver from there. I hope it helps!

If you really can't get the mac version to work on intel, bootcamp is certainly workable, though irritating. Then you get to be supported by the windows forum ;-)

If you really can't get the mac version to work on intel' date=' bootcamp is certainly workable, though irritating. Then you get to be supported by the windows forum ;-)[/quote']

For me it really worked well, no problems ahwulf. No need to go on the forums or even use google. :) Mac gods were watching meh :D

i took your advise and installed WWIIOL on my windows xp partition of my macbook pro. I haven't been able to get it to work at all.

When I start the game, asks for password every time, makes me accept user agreement every time, does not remember settings, and as soon as I spawn in, the game crashes.

Should I just try, re-downloading and re-installing?

I guess I could just check the windows support page, but it just feels weird. LOL. Sorry.

Stutters and widely fluctuating fps but the average is much, much worse than 1.29

Quad core 2.0 ghz Mac Pro

Nvidia graphic card

10.5.7 4gig ram

i took your advise and installed WWIIOL on my windows xp partition of my macbook pro. I haven't been able to get it to work at all.

When I start the game, asks for password every time, makes me accept user agreement every time, does not remember settings, and as soon as I spawn in, the game crashes.

Should I just try, re-downloading and re-installing?

I guess I could just check the windows support page, but it just feels weird. LOL. Sorry.

since you are trying to make it work on WIN you should post the description of the problems on the windows community support or even make a support ticket for the rats.

Stutters and widely fluctuating fps but the average is much, much worse than 1.29

Quad core 2.0 ghz Mac Pro

Nvidia graphic card

10.5.7 4gig ram

Can you try something for me. Login fresh. Launch a bunch of apps. Launch Activity Viewer. Launch Game go online, cmd-tab out and quit all the apps but AV. Note the free ram (green) and active (yellow) and post it here. Go back to game and spawn in a big town and play a bit. Note the FPS.

I am trying to figure out if the VM is somehow causing the jitter and maybe fps issues (fps is usually memory related or bad geometry, rarely video card related).

on my iMac 2.66 GHZ intel core 2 duo' date=' 4GB DDR3, and Nvidia Gforce 9400 graphics card with 256+MB (that means it uses at least 256 MB shared memory) i get stutters and widely fluctuating fps. When spawning in at the AF i usually get 10fps (as opposed to before 1.30 where I used to get 40-60). In the air there is not a major difference in terms of max fps (100+ at max) but if I happen to look in the direction of an AO they drop to 10 or so. Also fighting near the AO and low became impossible due to the stutters which i did not experience before to this extent.[/quote']

Not sure this helps, but ditto the hardware specs on my 24" imac and it was so bad I didn't bother running more than 20 meters from a spawn before logging out.

Not sure this helps' date=' but ditto the hardware specs on my 24" imac and it was so bad I didn't bother running more than 20 meters from a spawn before logging out.[/quote']

Lol not sure what you mean by it. You are being a lil too subtle. ;)

I've noticed the client uses up to 1.2GB of ram. This is waaay more than it used to. No idea why.

Ahwulf: What is the update on this issue? I see that forum complaints have dropped off, but I am assuming its because those effected (like me) have basically stopped playing. I will log on once in awhile and go fight way in the bush far from cities and big battles, but that's getting pretty boring. After you and others asked those whose FPS dropped through the floor in 1.3 to be patient and not un-sub, I opted to keep paying CRS for another month. But its been a few weeks now and the game is still largely unplayable. Gophur hinted that this problem was not going away soon. Any chance of getting a frank answer then? Is the FPS problem going to be fixed in the near term? Is it even being prioritized?

For the record, though it's been posted before:

iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

ATI Radeon HD 2400

VRAM 128 MB

Thanks

The code in 1.31 is substantially different than 1.30 so fixing it in 1.30 is pointless. Once 1.30.2 is out of the way then 1.31 will go into beta soon thereafter and we'll know more about performance. Basically JAEGER has been working on 1.31 forever so this will be the first view of the "1.5" engine.

I don't get any FPS differences on my 2 Macs, but then again they both suck so nothings changed. The Shark timings I've done shows the same profile as in the past with 1.30.X. Once I can run 1.31 I will report on what I see. I can get the code but don't have the data archives yet.

One thing I do know is with the large amount of RAM being used (and 131 is likely to use more) you might be hitting VM paging with only 2GB unless you logout/login before you start playing. Running iFreeMem before starting is more or less the same thing.

Remember this isn't a mac issue, its on both platforms, and not for everyone. It's clear the game engine needed a big update since its 10 years old, which is 120 in gaming years.

With 1.31 we might make the minimum ram be 2.0GB or more.

I've played with 7-12fps in big battle towns for years. Yeah, it sucks bigtime. Really 15fps is the minimum to be really competitive.

For many people the jitter bug fix will improve your FPS somewhat, the higher your normal FPS the more the mouse sucked out of it.

I have the same problems as everyone else. My FPS goes from 50 to 5 and then back gain every few seconds. I have a 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4 GB DDR3 RAM, a 12 meg DSL connection and am running Mac OS X 10.5.7. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9400 with 256MB of VRAM.

I have no answer other than see what happens with the new 1.5 engine in 1.31.

What makes so little sense is that your box is top notch and gets troubling fps, and Frantish is running on a 1GB G4 and gets reasonable FPS. The same random performance weirdness exists on the PC platform, I think its the base code, nothing much Mac about 99% of it. The rats don't want to fix the existing code as 1.31 basically is a substantial rewrite of the graphics engine and should go into closed beta this week.

I wish I had a newer mac so I could see what you are seeing, I just see the same lame fps I've always had.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0