Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bogol

specs if you DONT experience FPS degradation

40 posts in this topic

Just got the entry level 24" iMac with 4GB and the 9400 nvidia chipset running at 1900x1200 and I get good FPS (40-50) until I look toward a town, or see certain users (I don't know why it's certain users), or spawn at an airfield under certain conditions. In town is not playable and when the above things happen, I typically drop to around 5fps.

I'm going to try and do some testing to see if I can narrow down these instances of fps drops...

I'm telling you, turn the player tags off and see what happens. I narrowed this problem down after they went to the "smooth" tags in 1.29. No one listened to me though...

I'm telling you' date=' turn the player tags off and see what happens. I narrowed this problem down after they went to the "smooth" tags in 1.29. No one listened to me though...[/quote']

I will try it tonight. I had my suspicions before reading your post based upon what I was seeing. The town stutterers I expected given what my experiences have been with the Mac client, and even the PC client. However, after noticing that my FPS would drop by 45-50 frames when one guy was logged in sitting across the AF from me, and doing nothing else, that really pointed to something specific to the player and his surroundings. Given that, the name tags are definitely a potential culprit. Glad you made your post, thanks!

I tried that last night and saw no change. However on my ancient g5 I don't get stutters just the same old crappy fps everywhere.

The stutters are generally caused by only one of three things: (1) running out of available free memory (2) some kind of kaput geometry (3) moving into an area where lots of infantry reside that exceed your vis limit (like flying over battle town).

Currently I know (1) can be really bad in 1.30, this is affecting the PC also, its not a mac bug. In fact they have it worse since windows can sometimes limit an apps memory to 1.5GB.

(2) is rare but happened before (remember when mac client couldn't go inside a flag building?)

(3) has always happened but the latest faster imacs for example are quick enough to allocate memory that you don't notice it

It doesn't affect everyones computers however.

Stutter is defined as anything that takes longer to execute than a reasonable frame time. Stutter is not related to network speed. So if you are getting nice 20ms frames (50fps) and a few frames suddenly take 200ms you see it as a stutter or slideshow.

Well, if it's allocating memory, that's probably why mine's not bothering me, on this new Mac Pro.

Also, any difference between ATI and Nvidia video? Mac seems to work better in a lot of games with ATI... (ATI 4870 here)

Well, if it's allocating memory, that's probably why mine's not bothering me, on this new Mac Pro.

Also, any difference between ATI and Nvidia video? Mac seems to work better in a lot of games with ATI... (ATI 4870 here)

I think you need to send it to me for testing lol.

Apple writes the drivers for both so they shouldn't be any different.

I get NO stutters with this iMac.

Also, the row TALL trees do not hit my FPS much at all (my MBP 2.4Ghz does get hit pretty bad with those, AND does a top of line Dell Xeon dual), but towns do cause some FPS hits.

iMac G5

CPU: PowerPC 970

CPU Speed: 2.0 GHz

Bus Speed: 667

RAM Type: PC3200 DDR

RAM: 1 GB

Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 64 kB instruction

Level 2 Cache: 512 kB on-chip, 1:1

Video

Screen: 17 LCD

Video Card/Chipset: ATI Radeon 9600 (8X AGP)

VRAM: 128 MB

24 bit 1440x900

I get NO stutters with this iMac.

Also, the row TALL trees do not hit my FPS much at all (my MBP 2.4Ghz does get hit pretty bad with those, AND does a top of line Dell Xeon dual), but towns do cause some FPS hits.

iMac G5

CPU: PowerPC 970

CPU Speed: 2.0 GHz

Bus Speed: 667

RAM Type: PC3200 DDR

RAM: 1 GB

Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 64 kB instruction

Level 2 Cache: 512 kB on-chip, 1:1

Video

Screen: 17 LCD

Video Card/Chipset: ATI Radeon 9600 (8X AGP)

VRAM: 128 MB

24 bit 1440x900

Jeez that rig should suck big time. It's less powerful than my dual g5/ x800. Gag this code does weird scheisse.

I think you need to send it to me for testing lol.

Apple writes the drivers for both so they shouldn't be any different.

You know how that is. "Shouldn't" and "Isn't" aren't the same thing. :D

I know that WoW and some other games have had issues with Mac+Nvidia, but I don't know what those were.

As far as memory allocation not being a problem, it has to do with the setup of the new Nehalem Macs, that don't really have a FSB to the RAM in the old sense.

Looking back at it it seems everyone that stated there are no major stutter problems are using an ATI video card. Nvidia seems to be affected. Should we file a support ticket to apple ahwulf? How? I have tried to look on their web-page today but did not find the option. Only the 'talk on the phone' option, which i'd rather not do.

Looking back at it it seems everyone that stated there are no major stutter problems are using an ATI video card. Nvidia seems to be affected. Should we file a support ticket to apple ahwulf? How? I have tried to look on their web-page today but did not find the option. Only the 'talk on the phone' option, which i'd rather not do.

Filing a bug with Apple is unlikely to help any. I have access to the bug reporter but not enough details to make anything.

Is this true, ANYONE out there with ATI card getting stutters or slowdowns? Both my Macs are ATI, I have no NVidia cards?

2009 MacPro 2.66GHz with 8GB RAM and a ATI4870. Most consistent FPS drop is looking at the sun, where I'll never get above low 20's. Occasionally, I experience a drop to single digit FPS that will occur when there seems to be a degenerate patch of ground (texture of some tiles will appear white and FPS will drop when looking in their direction). Stutters still happen when diving down on a heavily contested town, but it's usually just one one second pause, much better than my old G5.

Playing under XP gives me about twice the performance as OS X, but the OS X version is good enough still that I don't bother booting into XP.

which one :D. Now really make those rats buy one, for developing purposes. China $ in the house yet?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0