Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Important! News! Read!

34 posts in this topic

I spent time with GOPHUR today. They will be paying me a bit and eventually more for various projects along with fixing all the mac bugs.

The big news is that with Snow Leopard shipping in September we will be end of lifing support for PowerPC (means I better get a new mac by then too) and Tiger. The game will only at that point be built for Intel and the Leopards. Its likely also that 2GB will be the minimum and maybe 2.5 (1.31 uses more memory than 1.30). There was also some talk of a marketing push for Mac players when Snow Leopard hits.

Another likely project is my adding FMOD sound support for both platforms which will seriously upgrade the quality of both the sound playing and the sound design (it has a real design tool).

So things will be looking up from now on.

ADDED: Of course I don't make official announcements for the rats, so this is just FYI.

I spent time with GOPHUR today. They will be paying me a bit and eventually more for various projects along with fixing all the mac bugs.

The big news is that with Snow Leopard shipping in September we will be end of lifing support for PowerPC (means I better get a new mac by then too) and Tiger. The game will only at that point be built for Intel and the Leopards. Its likely also that 2GB will be the minimum and maybe 2.5 (1.31 uses more memory than 1.30). There was also some talk of a marketing push for Mac players when Snow Leopard hits.

Another likely project is my adding FMOD sound support for both platforms which will seriously upgrade the quality of both the sound playing and the sound design (it has a real design tool).

So things will be looking up from now on.

Great news! On a side note I was looking for the latest snow dmg all day. Shh don't tell anyone.

Congratulations! I am pleased the rats are finally going to compensate you for your efforts. Good show m8!

Seeing as how we have similar rigs, I guess the bad news is i'm soon going to be in the market for a new rig also. Oh well, at this point I just want the game to run well.

Cheers Ahwulf!

Hayduke

Wow. My last post read as being entirely too positive :P, so I'll add that for the price of buying a new rig, that damn sound bug needs to finally go away! I'm really tired of being soo paranoid ingame. Lol.

Great news ahwulf! congrats!

We all appreciate the work you do for us. I know I do.

Seems like the CR finally do as well.

Unfortunately, if they don't address this wild FPS fluctuation thing,

I'm gonna cancel my account. I cant play at 6 fps.

I have a 2.53ghz intel core 2 duo with 4G of ram at the lowest setting and the game is just about unplayable.

Great news ahwulf! congrats!

We all appreciate the work you do for us. I know I do.

Seems like the CR finally do as well.

Unfortunately, if they don't address this wild FPS fluctuation thing,

I'm gonna cancel my account. I cant play at 6 fps.

I have a 2.53ghz intel core 2 duo with 4G of ram at the lowest setting and the game is just about unplayable.

Checkout 1.30.2 when it is released the end of the week. The mouse jitter bug fix may improve fps issues for people with decent computers. I don't have one so I can't tell :-) but the fix did help me in higher fps areas. It's possible this will fix both or at least improve it some.

Wow. My last post read as being entirely too positive :P' date=' so I'll add that for the price of buying a new rig, that damn sound bug needs to finally go away! I'm really tired of being soo paranoid ingame. Lol.[/quote']

When I add fmod to the game the sound will be equally awesome on both platforms.

http://www.fmod.org/

At that point I shall burn openal in effigy.

No news if it will play on the new superfast iPhone?

O'boy! Am I disappointed or what.

Naaayyh… just pulling your gummy leg Ahwulf. :D

That is just the best news since the Chinese deal. Plain awesome!

Btw, will this mean Gophur will be your side-kick? Like Batman and Robin. ;)

Checkout 1.30.2 when it is released the end of the week. The mouse jitter bug fix may improve fps issues for people with decent computers. I don't have one so I can't tell :-) but the fix did help me in higher fps areas. It's possible this will fix both or at least improve it some.

Thanks again Ahwulf. Sorry for whining. I'm looking forward to the update.

YAY!

Excellent news... and I was just pondering last week the idea of trying to start some sort of fund to compensate you (however little it may be) for your efforts. I'm really glad the Rats will be doing so, and that they recognize the potential this game has in the Mac community.

Definitely good news that you're going to be able to dedicate paid time to working on the Mac issues. I really hope 1.30.2 helps with the FPS issue, although the bigger issue continues to be crashes and freezes (which may have the same cause as the FPS issue, I hope!). Its pretty frustrating to have a recent vintage rig and be unable to run a game that my wife's Windows system runs pretty much flawlessly.

And no, I don't like the game so much that I'm willing to give her the Mac!

Definitely good news that you're going to be able to dedicate paid time to working on the Mac issues. I really hope 1.30.2 helps with the FPS issue, although the bigger issue continues to be crashes and freezes (which may have the same cause as the FPS issue, I hope!). Its pretty frustrating to have a recent vintage rig and be unable to run a game that my wife's Windows system runs pretty much flawlessly.

And no, I don't like the game so much that I'm willing to give her the Mac!

The 10char crash fix will be in 130.2. The particle crash is still a big unknown but doesn't happen as often. Running on windows or bootcamp just gives you a whole new view on the other clients bugs :-)

Just curious, what percentage of Mac BE users are still on PPC?

I was thinking of keeping my G5 around as a backup to my MacPro, but looks like it was a good idea to put it up for sale. I'm amazed how much you can get for a 6 year old Mac.

Congrats Ahwulf, this is great news. Really appreciate all you've done for us in a volunteer capacity, now you're getting at least some compensation from CRS. Looking forward to the FMOD sound upgrade!

I'm pleased too, but this means I actually have to get off my a$$ and pick up the other GB of RAM for my computer (max it out at a measly 2GB)...

Congrats on the salary now too Ahwulf, LONG overdue and well deserved!!

I'm pleased too, but this means I actually have to get off my a$$ and pick up the other GB of RAM for my computer (max it out at a measly 2GB)...

Congrats on the salary now too Ahwulf, LONG overdue and well deserved!!

It's not quite a salary yet, but better than pure volunteerism. I'd say 3GB is much nice these days. I can get 1GB for $70 for my ancient powerpc.

That is GREAT news AH!

sorry I did not catch this cool news earlier.

As to EOL PowerPC, may be a bit early.

G5 Towers are not that old

Many Mac's have 10.4

CRS should do a survey on who has G5 and what OS before they move completely to Intel.

And an announcement of intent.

1.31 as last PowerPC version, no?

S!

Well nothing is cast in concrete, my first message was a bit too harsh. THe idea is that once we support SL, then support for Tiger goes out (always supported only 2 OS versions), and it seemed to make sense to consider a single binary. 1.31 will for sure be both, I have no choice yet until the coffers allow a newer Mac. My dual G5 is 5 years old and I'm tired of 8-12 fps in town battles. My MBP is 1st gen and just as slowpokey.

Supporting only intel will make things much easier, as bit twiddling all the data for PowerPC won't be needed any more. I imagine 1.32 might be turning point but I have no clue what the schedule really is.

I did get paid for the first time today, not much, but certainly welcome.

You will need shader model 2.0 video card for 1.31, which for the most part is not an issue.

In Gophurs 1.31 note of today, he said the base video requirement is Shader Model 3. Check your video card here: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88

Look in the column "Pixel Shader Version". Most intel mac models are OK, but there are exceptions. My old G5's X800 is only Model 2.

Originally I heard Model 2 was the minimum but I asked Gophur for confirmation.

Also, I gave some screenies and he is getting with the artists to figure out why certain NVIDIA cards and normal maps make walls vanish. It may be something art can fix. Normal map support is very important in 1.31.

In Gophurs 1.31 note of today' date=' he said the base video requirement is Shader Model 3. Check your video card here: [url']http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=88

Look in the column "Pixel Shader Version". Most intel mac models are OK, but there are exceptions. My old G5's X800 is only Model 2.

Originally I heard Model 2 was the minimum but I asked Gophur for confirmation.

Also, I gave some screenies and he is getting with the artists to figure out why certain NVIDIA cards and normal maps make walls vanish. It may be something art can fix. Normal map support is very important in 1.31.

Uhh am I gonna be intercoursed with my Mac Mini?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0