• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Important! News! Read!

34 posts in this topic

I think this is it?

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

Thats an Intel video card, which is not even supported in 1.29/1.30 either. 64MB of Video ram is also below the minimum of 128. If it works for you currently that's a miracle.

Well nothing is cast in concrete, my first message was a bit too harsh. THe idea is that once we support SL, then support for Tiger goes out (always supported only 2 OS versions), and it seemed to make sense to consider a single binary. 1.31 will for sure be both, I have no choice yet until the coffers allow a newer Mac. My dual G5 is 5 years old and I'm tired of 8-12 fps in town battles. My MBP is 1st gen and just as slowpokey.

Supporting only intel will make things much easier, as bit twiddling all the data for PowerPC won't be needed any more. I imagine 1.32 might be turning point but I have no clue what the schedule really is.

I did get paid for the first time today, not much, but certainly welcome.

You will need shader model 2.0 video card for 1.31, which for the most part is not an issue.

Ahwulf, you know what I mean and don't misunderstand it please. There is absolutely no need to drop G5 just because it isn't trendy, CRS isn't converting Windows code to Mac anyway, there is native, compilable, OS X Framework used binary unlike EA games which are actually Windows games they have balls to sell for higher price just because they have .app in name.

You could be sick of 5-7 FPS but, some people could be getting 30-40 FPS under right OS, right video card. Or perhaps, guy likes strategic portion of game.

Please, don't drop PPC support. You could be happy adopting latest, greatest but some of us invested serious money on Macs and we can't/wont upgrade to Intel unless the tools we use demands them. Interestingly, couple of tools we use at movie editing doesn't even have native Intel binary yet.

Just because Snow Leopard comes with Cocoa finder, I am not upgrading to it. What if CRS makes mistake of dropping PPC support (entirely!) as soon as tomorrow? Oh well, I would buy a damn PC and install Vista/7 whatever to it. I am too tired to be pushed like some sheep by Apple and others.

PPC users are a bit touchy these days and there is no point of making them further anxious. CRS&You aren't some trendy amateur idiots like VLC guys who couldn't figure out how to gracefully fallback to other options or couldn't manage to re-compile their code for Apple Gcc 4.0 instead of lvm gcc 4.2.

Dropping 10.4 support? I will be hurt but it is MY fault, I just couldn't manage to make Apple idiots understand what kind of thing halving openGL performance after a OS upgrade is. Dropping PowerPC support while XCode/frameworks support it? Wait a second.

Is it that new sound engine you suggest? Apologies but I can't take a game framework serious if it is x86 only. If game goes Intel only, I am moving to directsound very likely. Tired of these games Apple and others playing.

Edited by ilgaz

I can still support powerpc for now but 10.4 is out, it's always been the rat standard that we can support the current OSX major release and the previous version. Thus 10.5 will be the new minimum for 1.31.

Once 10.7 shows up (what the hell is it called, Sabretooth?) for sure no more PowerPC. However don't count on it lasting that long either, as keeping the byte order up to date may prove impossible with so many data changes, thus it's likely to stop sooner rather than later.

The official requirements are probably only going to mention Intel since performance-wise few PowerPC models will still be sufficient.

You have to realize the mac support is me, and all I make is a tiny stipend at that (unless the Chinese version goes bigtime and brings in lots of $). Its not that the rats don't want to pay me, they don't have it atm. So unlike in some big company, the reality is that anything that complicates the mac version is likely to be dropped.

We are 10% of the population in total. A year ago when Rick left the mac version would have been cancelled if I wasn't willing to keep it going. And right now all but a few are running Intel macs. Even a new Mini will be able to run 1.31.

GOPHUR would rather just support Intel for 1.31. Thus PowerPC will only make it in if it works without any effort.

Once 10.7 shows up (what the hell is it called, Sabretooth?)

SaberRat. ;)

It HAS been 3 years since Intel support for Mac started.

To PPC Defense, you can still get very good performance in high alt and DD/TT (open sea) missions. But the new effects will be a huge hit.

I am sure it is time to retire PPC.

Ahwulf, I think you need to let MM post the plan to no longer support PPC in the newsletter.

S!

Right now 1.31 is still to early to say what the final FPS will be like.

Supporting only Intel does make my life easier. I'll see what I can do for PPC. From what I can tell, most Mac players are now on Intel.

Right now 1.31 is still to early to say what the final FPS will be like.

Supporting only Intel does make my life easier. I'll see what I can do for PPC. From what I can tell, most Mac players are now on Intel.

That would drop my playing to 1 hour maximum a day, in awkward time since it is not CRS, it is Apple which I am sick of and their lame games to make Developers drop functional systems.

I may build my own el cheapo PC in worst condition. Issue is, I don't want to move to Intel from Quad G5 just because Uncle Steve's engineers did some trivial tricks to prevent developers from supporting PPC machines. I noticed some alerting reports, especially one I particularly take serious, Cocoa Tech, the Cocoa/OS X native frameworks master guys has to split Path Finder to 2 different versions since unlike Apple claimed, the code doesn't build fine for PPC/10.5 when 10.6 used. So, that is how Path Finder 5.5 ships and 5.4 kept for Leopard (10.5). Issue is, CRS or other companies will be blamed when they have to drop PPC/10.5/4 support, not Apple... Usual story since 1984 you know...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0